Expert Forum User

Default Lock for front door? Doorbell for when door is opened?

DS1 knows how to unlock the front door and he opened the front door to go outside yesterday while I was nursing DS1. I was right there so I put the baby down and went after him.

I have been after DH to buy a lock for the front door (DS1 can open the child proof door handle ones) to put up high where he can't reach it. I have told DH if he doesn't have it put on by Monday that I am calling someone in to do it, I don't care the cost. I have been asking for this for 2 years

What lock do you use on the front door? Do you know where to get the "doorbell chime" thingy so that it will go off when the door is opened (in case someone (DH) forgets to put the lock on)

It really freaked me out.

DH's response was "well, did he leave the door open?"

I was like "WTF?"

He said "you said if it had happened while you were somewhere else in the house you wouldn't know where he went".

DH is soooooooooooooooo missing the point! He just can't get it through his thick frickin skull how dangerous this could be for DS1.

Expert Forum User

Home Depot sells a door alarm -- it is in their hardware section. Is easy to install.

Expert Forum User

We got an awesome lock from Canadian Tire for around $25. Easy for DH to install.

And, of all places, I got some of the door alarms - and they are LOUD - from the Dollars and Discounts store in Exeter. I *think* I also picked some up from Dollarama. They work GREAT. Cheaper to buy a bunch than it is to buy new batteries for them. The batteries are about $3 each and tehy take three. Not sure how they sell the units for 41 each, but I'm not complaining!
    www.southhilldesigns.com/carolwood
    www.facebook.com/charms2last.carolwood

The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown

Expert Forum User

Thanks Ladies, I will go to these stores tomorrow to get the stuff. I will try to install it myself on Monday and if I can't do it then I will call someone. I don't have any faith that DH will do it, but he might take me seriously we will see.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar

We also have the door alarms. Once we rigged the door, they quickly started investigating the windows. So be prepared to secure those too.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by eversoclever View Post
    We also have the door alarms. Once we rigged the door, they quickly started investigating the windows. So be prepared to secure those too.
    Ugh! DS1 already knows how to pop the screen window out of our front windows. Not sure how we are gonna work that one out Good thing we have air conditioning so it looks like our hydro bill will go through the roof since we won't be able to open any windows

Quote Originally Posted by twinmommy View Post
    Ugh! DS1 already knows how to pop the screen window out of our front windows. Not sure how we are gonna work that one out Good thing we have air conditioning so it looks like our hydro bill will go through the roof since we won't be able to open any windows
    I don't want to scare you with our horror story, but the bottom line is there is no good way to secure screens unless you want to bar the windows. At least I haven't found a solution. Needless to say, we aren't opening any windows either.

Expert Forum User

Use the alarms on the windows too. They work by going off when two separate pieces are no longer lined up.
    www.southhilldesigns.com/carolwood
    www.facebook.com/charms2last.carolwood

The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown

Expert Forum User

I so hear you on this on. Dd2 figured this out last summer and it was scary. B/c she doesn't talk much as you know and there were times where neighbours brought her home.

We got an alarm but she goes past that now. We bought what is called a gaurdian lock. DH bought it at home depot. DD2 can't get the door open with this.

I just found that the alarm only lasts for so long and it doesn' bother the child anymore. I know it is there for me to hear her open the door.
    Scentsy Rep. on Facebook Perfectly-Scented Scentsy my website www.perfectly-scented.scentsy.ca

Fundraising to get our daughter a service dog. please feel free to visit her fundraising page https://www.facebook.com/groups/415637608516807/

SPARKLE TATTOO!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Danas...41850885905215

I got Door and window alarms at Dollarama. They are very loud so t least you would be able to hear him.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by tansie View Post
    Use the alarms on the windows too. They work by going off when two separate pieces are no longer lined up.
    Agreed.
    If you can't get a fancy lock put in your door for now, you could even get chain or a hook and eye, slide lock, etc and just put it up TOP. Home Hardware used to sell those alarm type things, not sure if they still do.
    I used to have them on my doors and windows from a security system but it's the same basic idea.

When we moved in here I had a deadbolt installed high enough up on the door dd can't reach it. DH taught ds how to open it, and I know dd could if she got a chair etc, but she's not that ambitious thankfully. It makes me feel better knowing it's there (and that no one but us has the key, not even the landlord).
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Quote Originally Posted by tansie View Post
    You can use them on screens?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

You sure could. You position them so that anytime they are not aligned, they go off.
    It's not a lock, just an alarm. Same way they work on doors: part is on the door, part on the doorframe. So when the door moves away from the frame, they aren't aligned, so it goes off. Can get ones that are either alarm sounds or are just a 'dong' to le tyou know someone's opened the door.
    I used to have the storebought kind on a babygate to the stairs at one point.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

But they'd be exposed to the outside, right?