Unhappy Happy most of the time night time screamer!

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has advice to give on my little guy he is almost 5 months. He is very happy all day long, goes down for his naps like a dream, then bed time rolls around and he screams like there is no tomorrow! This started about 3 weeks ago, and I am just about at the end of my rope....any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
    Willsmom

DS did this for the longest time with us from about 6 months -12 months. He went down great for naps, but come bedtime, he would be silent for 30 mins to an hour and then the screaming...

All I can say is have a lot of patience. Perhaps look into a book like No Cry Sleep Solution and see if that helps. We would normally go into DS' room, reassure him, calm him down and leave the room with as little talking as possible. We gradually notcied that his screams turned out into a short outburst of crying, then he settled on his own.

You could also invest in some earplugs....hehehe

Good luck!

Expert Forum User

Our Ben is doing this now too
    He's 5 months old as well - weird. We never had this with DS #1.
    I rock him to sleep every night and I just try to get him calmed down and eventually he stops fighting and goes to sleep with me in the rocking chair and then I can usually get him to his crib without waking him again - if not - we start all over again.
    Good luck.

Formerly Jacksmommy
    Becky ~ Mom to two busy boys, Jack & Ben

~Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind~
    ~Dr. Seuss~

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter's Mom View Post
    DS did this for the longest time with us from about 6 months -12 months. He went down great for naps, but come bedtime, he would be silent for 30 mins to an hour and then the screaming...

All I can say is have a lot of patience. Perhaps look into a book like No Cry Sleep Solution and see if that helps. We would normally go into DS' room, reassure him, calm him down and leave the room with as little talking as possible. We gradually notcied that his screams turned out into a short outburst of crying, then he settled on his own.

You could also invest in some earplugs....hehehe

Good luck!
    At this point the ear plugs sound good!!! Thanks for the advice.
    Willsmom

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksmommy View Post
    Our Ben is doing this now too
    He's 5 months old as well - weird. We never had this with DS #1.
    I rock him to sleep every night and I just try to get him calmed down and eventually he stops fighting and goes to sleep with me in the rocking chair and then I can usually get him to his crib without waking him again - if not - we start all over again.
    Good luck.
    That is weird that they are both the same age!!
    Willsmom

Expert Forum User

within walking distance of downtown but a good part

my DS was like that , he had his nights and days mixed up,he is the same age, he is starting to get up at 4am and want to play. it might be gas, i know my Ds is like this when he is really gassy and cant get it moving , just a guess

I sell AVON I sell SCENTSY JOIN THE PARTY!

Nicole&Grant

Our son went through a few stages where he didn't want to sleep and he would scream to no end !! I tried rubbing his back, hushing him, staying in the room until he was asleep. UNTIL I stepped away and he would start to scream. I took my mothers advice, "Nicole, kiss him and tell him good night, that you love him and shut the door and walk away." He screamed one night for an hour and twenty minutes, the next night 10 minutes and then a few nights with some whimpers and that was it. He went through the spell again about a month later but I just left the room, and it's almost like he knew I wasn't going to play his game lol.

Banned

Both of my kids did this at around 4 or 5 months. Who said under 3 months is hard? I find now the hardest! My little guy still does it most of the time and for naps. I think it could be overtiredness or overstimulation. They find it hard to wind down.
    What works for me is to go in the bathroom, turn the shower on steamy hot, turn off all the lights and he is usally out within 5 minutes with no screaming. I hope I won't have to do this when he is 16
    I think back at how Aidan did it and try to remember that it does get better... *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole&Grant View Post
    Our son went through a few stages where he didn't want to sleep and he would scream to no end !! I tried rubbing his back, hushing him, staying in the room until he was asleep. UNTIL I stepped away and he would start to scream. I took my mothers advice, "Nicole, kiss him and tell him good night, that you love him and shut the door and walk away." He screamed one night for an hour and twenty minutes, the next night 10 minutes and then a few nights with some whimpers and that was it. He went through the spell again about a month later but I just left the room, and it's almost like he knew I wasn't going to play his game lol.
    I have been doing the walking away thing...just have a bit of a hard time with it. He actually went down like a champ last night, DH is trying all different things these day, not sure if last night was a fluke or if he is actually on to something! He kept DS up all evening, with no nap...he was a little..no very grumpy by the time he went down, but he went right to sleep! I guess we will try again tonight and see what happens. Thanks for the advice!
    Willsmom

Expert Forum User

We went through this too. We FINALLY figured out her bedtime was too early & bumped it back by 1/2 hour increments. It was all it took. (She went from a 7pm bedtime to an 8pm bedtime).
    My other suggestions is that he's overtired & in that case watch for his sleepy clues.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pumpkinery-Creations/220912411314225