Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ear piercing

Default Ear piercing

Hi!
    My dd is nearly four months old, and we have been discussing whether or not to get her ears pierced. I was wondering what your experiences have been and whether you are for or against.
    If you have done it, where did you do it? How much was it?
    Anything you can share would be helpful!

TIA!
    pickles

Well, this could get interesting as it hasn't been talked about in awhile. You should get a wide array of opinions.

We had our daughters done at around 4 months old. We went to People's in Masonville. They were great and had mature staff.

I should add that she has not had any problems with them other then pulling them out once she was a bit older. She seems to have forgotten about them again now, which is nice.

I had Shelby's done at 3 months and she was fine and still is... it's only been about 2 weeks since I had them done and they turned out great.

I say, it's all personal preference... some Moms are going to say that they won't do it till they are older or until they can decide for themselves and some will just go ahead and do it... I just did it... always knew that it would be early on.

I went to Moda Fina in WhiteOaks and with the gold balls it costed $19.50 I think it was a pretty good deal, the earrings were cute and we were in and out in under 5 minutes.

I think that salons are the cheapest for peircing.. I had gone to Faces and they wanted $40+ for the earrings, but the peircing was free... same with Claires, although, not so expensive. I beleive People's does them as well... not sure how much it is there though.

I had DD's ears pierced when she was 4 months and a bit. We went to Visage at Westmount. No regrets here and we'd highly recommend them.

Expert Forum User

I had both my girls done at 4mths and have never had trouble. I went to Body Perks in the east end.(Dundas & Speight, i think)

Expert Forum User

Well, I'll be the first to say that I won't get my DD's ears pierced. My primary reason is one identified by Owen's Mommy: I want her to be free to decide to for herself and I want her to be old enough to appreciate it. I got my ears pierced in my 30's, as a reward for quitting smoking. It was exciting, even as an adult, and I don't want my DD to miss out on that.

I guess too I know that I would always be worried about her pulling an earring out or it getting snagged on her clothing etc. I know others will say that those aren't realistic worries but how many of a mother's worries are truly realistic?

Good luck with your decision-making!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I have personally decided not to pierce my DD's ears, but not because I think it's wrong or have heard bad things or anything. I got mine pierced when I was 6 and I remember my mom telling my sis and I that we were BIG GIRLS and that we had to take care of them... anyway, it was one of the big things I remember from my childhood and made me feel so special, so I'll do that for my DD one day!

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren's mom
    I had DD's ears pierced when she was 4 months and a bit. We went to Visage at Westmount. No regrets here and we'd highly recommend them.
    I have heard wonderful things about Visage with regards to ear piercing. I took my youngest to People's in WO when she was just over 4 mths old and have no regrets. I believe it was around $47, but their earrings are 14k gold (as are the ones at Visage). My older DD had her's done when she was just over 2 mths and she has had no real problems to date. I'm sure you don't want to know where I got her's done since it was in Peterborough and it was almost 11 years ago!
    Jeanne
    Mom to Cassandra, Kyle, Noah, and Holleigh

http://www.namaii.com/suck/

http://tattoo.about.com/cs/psafety/a/piercing_guns.htm

I dont believe in doing babies ears nor do I believe in peircing guns they cant be cleaned properly read the links and decide for your self.

guess too I know that I would always be worried about her pulling an earring out or it getting snagged on her clothing etc. I know others will say that those aren't realistic worries
    actually that is a good worry I lost count how many times my 6yr olds earrings became caught on clothing and other things she finnally lost one and we took them out 2 months.

I think that salons are the cheapest for peircing.. I had gone to Faces and they wanted $40+ for the earrings, but the peircing was free... same with Claires, although, not so expensive. I beleive People's does them as well... not sure how much it is there though.
    price should NOT be a concern when piercing your childs body you should be looking at how clean the place is, the type of jewlery they will use and what training they have. I paid 32$ at hardcore tattoo to have my dd's ears done the right way but I also know they dont do babies

We got Mia's ears pierced when she was 5 months old. It went really well, although next time I will take our baby when they are more like 3 months. Mia was really interested in what was going on and kept turning her head! We've had no infection problems and she still hasn't even noticed that they are there! I must also add that my neice who is 5 asked me to take her to get her ears done for her b-day. ( I asked her mom of course) So I took her to get them done and she was so scared that it would hurt and changed her mind, as we were driving back home she started balling because she wanted them done so bad. So I told her we could back and get it done, needless to say after 30mins of her wanting them done but not letting them get close to her, she didn't get them done. She was really upset and cried for awhile, but we decided together that we would do it when she is older. It was really hurt breaking because she wanted it done so bad but was soo afraid. It made me glad I got Mia's done when I did. Oh and we went to First Choice in St.Thomas, they were great there!

I just wanted to add that I had my ears pierced with a needle and ice when I was 6 weeks old. My dad still talks about it and how horrible it was because I was screaming so much and all the blood....anyway, the gun all the way in my opinion. It was quick and DD cried for 5 mins and that was it. No infections either. We used the antiseptic twice a day for the first month. Just keep the piercings clean and it'll be fine. I would think it would be easier when they are younger since they aren't grabbing their ears or using hair products that could add gunk to their ears.

mumtobelle

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren's mom
    I just wanted to add that I had my ears pierced with a needle and ice when I was 6 weeks old. My dad still talks about it and how horrible it was because I was screaming so much and all the blood....anyway, the gun all the way in my opinion.
    Just to clarify, if it was a sewing type needle you were pierced with, professional body piercing is done with a sterile sharps and from my years of working in the tattoo industry and the whole time we offered body piercing I never saw excessive bleeding. Problem is most studios will not pierce children so you have no option other than going to a salon that uses a gun and I don't think those places have autoclaves nor can you autoclace those guns from what I have been told.

mommy74

I had my daughter ears done right after her first needle around two months old . I went to a salon, I walk in and asked them if they had two guns , this way they can be done at the same time. Now she is 6 years old and she only wears little gold sleepers. I think it was good thing to get them done when they are young , this way they will not play with there ears as much. As for keeping them clean use a the cleaner you can buy at shoppers or Claire's.

As for keeping them clean use a the cleaner you can buy at shoppers or Claire's.
    I was told by the trained peircer (I had hers done in a tattoo studio that does kids) when I had my dd's ears done NOT to use fancy cleaners soap and water is just fine unless there are signs of infection.

Problem is most studios will not pierce children so you have no option other than going to a salon that uses a gun
    there is always a choice, you have the choice of doing when they are a baby and using the gun that cant be cleaned properly or you can wait untill they are about 6 and a studio will do it with a piercing needle and they can actually have a say in wether thier ears are pierced or not.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I had dd#1's peirced when she was 7 months old. We went to the hair place in Argyle mall, the name is escaping me right now. We had no problems at all. She barely cried and didn't even notice them. They were completley healed in 2 wks. I plan to have dd#2 done when she is around 4 months old. Oh and I used the cleaner on #1 but it was to harsh on her ears and the skin peeled off so I just used soap and water and they never got infected.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast