Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default not sure anymore

So I'm all set to send this 'intent to homeschool' letter off on Thursday, but I'm not sure this is the right thing to do! I would really like some advice from the homeschooling mamas on here.

The main thing that is causing me to doubt this decision is finances. I don't know how I'm going to make it work. Obviously I'm going to have to bring in an income somehow, and without the 'free childcare' that public education offers, I will have to pay a babysitter if I'm going out to work. And after that cost, I don't imagine there will be much left to live off. And I don't want him to spend the entire day with a babysitter any more than I want him to spend the day at school! I just don't know what to do. I'm going to have student loan payments coming due in October on top of all the other expenses I have. I really don't want to leave DS in school just because it's a more financially viable option, but I don't want to risk going broke either.

Banned

My kids are back in school because financially it wasn't working for us. I know a couple of other mamas in the same boat. Sometimes you're just stuck between a rock and a hard place. If it was up to me I'd take them back out (only one would come willingly!).

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Re OSAP, you can defer your payments or have them reduced if you are low income and I highly recommend doing that! Stay on top of it, don't go into default, is the way to deal with them.

No idea on the homeschooling tho, good luck!

Your concerns are totally understandable. Honestly, I would find a way to make it work before you get started. You may be able to find a homeschooler who is willing to trade care with you, there are definitely other families/moms in the same boat.

In order for homeschooling to work you will need a good community around you. Many hs'ing families have to be very creative with how they spend their days in order to bring in the funds, it is possible but I think really evaluating things before you get started is a good idea.

What kind of work do you do?

If you do a yahoo groups search there are groups dedicated for working/student parents. They might be able to give you advice.
    Calvin: People think it must be fun to be a super genius but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

Hobbes: Isn't your zipper suppose to be in the front of your pants?