Expert Forum User

Default napping problems

my one year old just started a few weeks ago at daycare.....she is new to being a home daycare and is having a hard time getting him to nap...he refuses a morning nap and then will take a 1 hour nap in the afternoon....a good day he will take for 2 hours. at home he has a morning and 2 hour afternoon nap for me.....
    so she is wondering what else to do to help and lessen the cranks!
    what are other care providers tricks for getting little ones to nap?
    he has a lovie, his music, a soother and his blankie!
    any other tricks?
    Mommy to 3 great boys!!

Expert Forum User

I think it is just a matter of time and him getting use to the new environment and new people. This I have found is not very unsual. so far I have found no secret trick to get little ones to sleep just time to adjust. If all his usual sleep items are with him this will help for sure.

I totally agree with it being just a matter of time and adjustment...I often find new little ones take a few weeks to settle into routines, especially sleeping somewhere new, the only thing i sometimes try is different rooms, if available, sometimes lighting conditions may make a difference, I have one who prefers a very dark room ....if she just continues with the same routines I;m sure he will adjust soon

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Our HDCP started putting DD in a different room - that seemed to work well when she was first starting out.
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

is it possible that he is starting to drop the extra nap? My DD dropped down to one nap just before her 1st bday and the transition time was rough... she either got more sleep than she needed & wouln't go to bed, or didn't get enough and would be miserable. I think it took a month or so before she settled in to one nap without messing up the rest of the day.
    I don't really have any other thoughts to help your daycare provider... like others have said, it takes time for them to adjust and sleeping in a new place is tough to adjust to.

hmmm, actually I do have one thought! Is the room he is sleeping in somewhere they spend time during the day? Maybe if he can play & be happy in there during awake hours, he will settle more easily at rest time because it will me a more familiar/happy place?

Expert Forum User

time time time. I have had kids not nap, not eat, not drink their bottles, cry for long periods of time. All kids react differently to this huge change in their life. It is all normal, and will eventually get better.

Expert Forum User

he is in a separate room away from the hustle and bustle! he may very well being trying to lose the morning nap as well....the only other thing i can try is his white noise machine????
    i know he is still trying to adjust but she seems bothered alot by the fact that when he doesn't sleep well he is cranky????
    Mommy to 3 great boys!!

The other ladies are right, that he will settle as he gets used to daycare life and their routines. I had a 9 month old baby start here this month and he is the only one with a morning nap, then his afternoon nap is shorter than the others. But I'm not worried, because whenever there is a change in enrollment there has to be an adjustment period for the new child and also for the children who have been in the daycare for quite some time. Everyone learns to adjust and it goes quite quickly sometimes and it takes months and months sometimes. There is no rule, but I find if I am calm and relaxed the children are as well. Blankie and cuddle from home all snuggled up while I rock the baby to sleep so it smells like home and Mommy are the best things to do. I also ask for the crib sheets to be washed at home and returned so that once I put the baby in the playpen it still smells like home.

Expert Forum User

well i stuck my fingers in his mouth and he is cutting 4 molars right now as well as sleeping not so great during the day at home as well....i think she will just have to figure out how to deal and let him get back on track!
    thanks!
    Mommy to 3 great boys!!