Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Pregnancy and weight gain

Does anyone else have a hard time mentally with gaining weight while pregnant?

Admittedly, I wan't prepared on being pregnant right now. But I am, and I'm happy about it (mostly, lol). My problem is the scale. Yes, I know I need to gain weight. I will gain weight. I HAVE gained weight. However, I'm having some anxiety about seeing the number go up and up. It's not serious anxiety, I mean I'm still eating like a horse, but it's there. I did have this with my other two, but I was somehow more mentally 'prepared' iykwim. Plus, I really have to take it easy this pregnancy, which will only add to the weight gain. Also, with three I won't have nearly as much time to exercise after birth. Gah. Normally I exercise a lot to keep my weight at a healthy level. Really, A LOT.

Am I the only one that gets stressed about seeing those numbers on the scale go up and up and up, despite knowing that logically it's a good thing?

Or maybe this post is just inspired by eating too much crap yesterday

Expert Forum User

Honestly I didn't with my first but I knew that I was still young and would be able to lose it quickly, which I did. But with this one I am petrified, I am not sure why but I do not like seeing those numbers go up. I actually think it is because I know it is going be soo much harder to lose it this time.

Expert Forum User

avoid the scale.
    I had huge problems with it with my first I guess I still do.
    my DF yells at me for my comments about me getting fat (he always reminds me “your not fat your pregnant“)
    but I just avoid watching the numbers rise. I even tell the doctor not to tell me my weight.
    ~Who ever said "don't cry over spilt milk" has never been a breast feeding mother with latch issues standing over a puddle

Expert Forum User

I don't know anyone who doesn't. I'm pretty comfortable in my own skin and I'm not skinny by any means. I'm overweight, comfortable with it, but with both pregnancies I've gotten pretty anxious around 200lbs. With my first pregnancy I hit it at 8 months, with my second I hit it well... earlier :P

For whatever reason, 200lbs sets the alarm bells ringing in my head.

Expert Forum User

I don't have a scale at home, I know better. But there is one at the gym and at the doctor's office. I can't avoid it at those places. I've gotten better and now only weigh myself occasionally at the gym, whereas it used to be every day.

Idid worry about my weigth the first time around but it came off pretty quick. I did not worry at all with baby # 2

I had a really hard time with the weight gain too. You know your supposed to gain but it is hard watching the numbers go up. I'm at the end of my pregnancy and weigh 5lbs more than DH. Not a good feeling. I was also afraid I would end up over 200lbs which terrified me. But I'm overdue and haven't quite reached it.
    Mom to DD born Febraury 2011

M2M
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

with Markus I lost a lot of weight 26 pounds I think. And after he was born I was 33 pounds under my pre baby weight.

Nolan I gained 78 pounds LOL

This one I am already up a pant size, and am only 8 weeks today, not a good start. I dont know how though. I havent even eaten in 3 days.

This is my only pregnancy that I have gained weight with and I am having a very hard time with it. Doesnt stop me from eating lol, but I feel very down about it.
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

Expert Forum User

In the beginning I didn't think much of it since appointments were every 4-6 weeks and since I don't own a scale that was the only time I saw my weight.
    Christmas bothered me because I was at my parents for 2 weeks and they have a digital scale in the bathroom so I would check each morning/night and was annoyed that every morning i lost about 3 pounds but gained by the end of the night, lol.
    I'm not really sure why anyone owns a scale - I have no use for one.

Now that I have appointments every 1-2 weeks and have AGAIN gained over 50 lbs, but haven't had time to be exercising or walking makes me nervous.

Last time I hit 200 lbs, this time I'm past 180 already so probably going to hit 200 again.

And my feet/ankles have been so sore this week I put on SO's socks since they are bigger and last night when I took them off they had tighted my ankles into normal shape with huge puffy rolls above and below my ankles - it looks sooooo gross Glad I only have 4 weeks left and all this bloating can go away.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Dude you look awesome!!
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

When I saw you more than halfway through your second pregnancy, I didn't even know you were pregnant until you told me. You look amazing. I would recommend that you stop weighing yourself at the gym. At the doctor's office you can turn around on the scale and not see the weight. You are healthy and that is what matters. You will be chasing 3 munchkins. The weight will fly off of you coupled with bfing.

I gained over 100lbs with ds!!!!! I am just shy of 6ft tall and was very thin before, but still that's a lot of weight!!! I have lost most of it. Just have about 20lbs left and I am terrified this will happen again with this pregnancy. I ate really well so I don't know why I gained so much. It was all worth it because I had a beautiful big healthy baby, but it was really hard on my body and self image. I am hoping that being busy running around after a toddler will keep the weight gain lower this time around.

Handmade Headbands, Hats, Tutus and Accessories
    Check out Pretty Bambino Headbands, Hats and Accessories on Facebook!

www.facebook.com/PrettyBambinoHeadbands

Proud Mommy to Ethan and Ila

i had midwives with Martyn and I never stepped on a scale. Save the first OB consult. Even after I was a transfer of care, I refused to step on the scale. I know I gained, you could see it

I just didn't want that added stress about #s.

I figure it is the only time in your life you can gain weight and people around you still say you look great Enjoy the pregnancy and forget about the scale.

I gained 40lbs the first time
    94.5 lbs the second time ... yikes
    and 65.5 the third time

All were normal size babies. So do what you think is right, don't stress and enjoy your 9 months
    Wee Piggies & Paws London
    519-680-2274
    http://facebook.com/weepiggieslondon
    http://weepiggies.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast