Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

My advice, as a mom of twins:

Use a double Snap n Go for the infant car seat stage, then a good double stroller for when not using the car seats. Do not pick your double stroller based on it taking two car seats, because strollers that take two car seats generally suck, and then when your babies have outgrown their car seats (which happens rather quickly, compared to the entire use-life of a stroller), you're stuck with a double stroller that sucks for years. If you pick your main double stroller based on its ability to accommodate two car seats, you'll probably regret it. Just use a double Snap n Go instead. (You might need to buy the double Snap n Go used, or from the States -- not sure if Babies R Us here have started carrying them again.)

We had a double Snap n Go for our car “stroller“ during the infant-seat period, and a Valco Twin for our around-the-neighbourhood/not-using-the-car and/or need-a-rugged-stroller (if going somewhere off-roady/parks with no paths/etc.) stroller. When our babies outgrew the infant seats, I got a twin umbrella stroller (Maclaren) off of kijiji to use as our keep-in-the-car stroller (rather than loading the Valco in and out all the time for both car-based and neighbourhood use).
    Last edited by Ceili; 02-11-2011 at 09:50 AM.
    formerly Kathy

I didn't have a stroller that fit the carseats, and it was a PITA. I wish I had bit the bullet and just bought at least a snap and go - would have made my life way easier.

When they got bigger and not in the infant seats, I just used a double umbrella for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherGoose View Post
    No 3rd row. Thanks for that site....even though it made me want to cry...lol.

I just looked at the measurements for the radians. I have more than enough shoulder room but just shy of .6“ in Hip room.

I wonder if there is still hope.
    What do you drive? I have 2 radians and a booster in my ford fusion currently. It's snug but do-able.

I have seen examples where a radian and a marathon fit beside each other better than 2 radians, it's like a puzzle because the radian gets nestled in under the higher “wings“ of the marathon.

eta- mine are all forward facing though. Rear facing radians are a bit of a challenge. They are so freaking tall.
    Last edited by bikruca; 02-11-2011 at 10:24 AM.
    Heather.

Push button. Receive bacon.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Two of my friends had twins and I know they both said they could not have survived without their travel systems. Picture cozy sleeping babies in the fall/winter snuggled in their bucket seats in the van. They could just pick the seat out and clip and go on the stoller. No need to unbundle babies (since you can't use winter gear in car seats) and put them in the stroller then rebundle.

ETA-just read Kathy's post and agree about the snap and go being a great option.
    Last edited by laurensmom; 02-11-2011 at 10:31 AM.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by bikruca View Post
    What do you drive? I have 2 radians and a booster in my ford fusion currently. It's snug but do-able.

I have seen examples where a radian and a marathon fit beside each other better than 2 radians, it's like a puzzle because the radian gets nestled in under the higher “wings“ of the marathon.

eta- mine are all forward facing though. Rear facing radians are a bit of a challenge. They are so freaking tall.
    A 2011 Ford Fusion has 53.3“ of hip room vs the 47.4“ she's working with...

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by MotherGoose View Post
    Do some double strollers only fit one car seat or if they fit one they will fit two?
    Most (or all?) side-by-side double strollers only fit one car seat. Otherwise, they'd be too wide to fit through standard doorways.

You can get tandem double strollers (ie, the long, babies seated in front of each other kind) that take two car seats. But tandem strollers are much more difficult to navigate and steer than side-by-sides, so while they're worth struggling with during the carseat-insert period, they're really inconvenient for long-term use. Which is why I recommend just using a comparatively-inexpensive double snap frame (Snap n Go) for your tandem, wheeled carseat-lugger , but not spending the bulk of your stroller budget on a tandem travel system and then getting stuck using a tandem stroller for the long-term.

Twin strollers are very expensive, so it's worth prioritizing selecting your stroller based on what you're going to want to be using long-term. You don't want to invest an expensive double stroller, only to find out that you dislike using it so much you want to (or wish you could) buy a different one that's easier to navigate. Using a cheap snap frame for the carseat “stroller“ avoids that.
    Last edited by Ceili; 02-11-2011 at 04:13 PM.
    formerly Kathy

Expert Forum User

We are still using our double snap and go and the girls are 6 m. Now that we are heading into spring and the girls are stronger, I'm looking for a side-by-side double. Our intention is to use a babycarrier most of the time with the stroller as back-up.
    Wife to Doug and Mother of
    Alex, Nick, Hanna, Mya, Madeline and twin sweethearts, Isabelle and Abigail
    Sewing Mei Tais for Canadian Mamas

Quote Originally Posted by a_bun_in_the_oven View Post
    A 2011 Ford Fusion has 53.3“ of hip room vs the 47.4“ she's working with...
    I didn't catch what she is driving at first glance. I know I did a ton of research online when I was buying my car and the fusion has a TON of hip room.

My mom has a corolla and also uses the radians plus a booster for 3 across. The booster she uses is different though.
    Heather.

Push button. Receive bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
    My advice, as a mom of twins:

Use a double Snap n Go for the infant car seat stage, then a good double stroller for when not using the car seats.
    Exactly. We did the snap & go and an Urban Baby Jogger stroller that we still use - will fit them til they're 100 lbs total. The baby jogger's fabulous. Tandem, 29 1/2“ wide so it will go through doorways. Turns on a dime and weighs nothing to push. I can run with it, skate with it and it's got 3 level canopies, 5 point harnesses and will take the teenies infants, etc. 4 sturdy, large wheels that go well on pavement, sand and snow.

Our twins are almost 4 and we still use it if we're going somewhere they might not be able to handle all the walking. It weighs 33 lbs. The snap & go weighed 16 lbs. And when you're hauling play pens, car seats, diaper bags, etc, that snap & go being light, easy to fold & having lots of cargo area - LOVED it.

We got our snap & go, also called a swan, on Kijiji used. The baby jogger we bought online from a company in the states & saved $400.

It may sound like a crazy amount of $ to spend $500 on a stroller but given it's already 4 years old and we'll probably be able to use it 2 more years then sell it for a couple hundred, it's a great investment.

IMO, your stroller's more important that anything but the quality of your car seat. If you don't like it or it's hard to use, the hassle of a stroller you don't love using might just stop you from getting out as much as you can. It's hard enough with two little ones, to not be house bound, especially if you BF like I did. My baby jogger = freedom.
    Last edited by Mumma; 02-27-2011 at 12:29 PM.
    Working mom who's also now a Mompreneur - check out my home business!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ange...47727408648438

Expert Forum User

I could not have survived without using the bucket seats for the twins. DS1 was in it for 8 months and DD was in it for 12 months. They were born 6 weeks early and the only reason they were switched out of the seats was due to length, not weight.

They slept A LOT and it was the only way I could go about my day in the beginning. I had the metropolitan graco snugride car seats and stroller.

If you can, I would recommend investing the money in a good stroller whether new or used. I used my stroller all.the.time. I started to realize how inaccessible most buildings are because of how much I used my stroller.

You may want to check out the baby jogger city select, I think it holds two bucket seats? Childrens furniture gallery is a great place to go for this, I know they used to offer a 10% discount for multiples.
    Last edited by twinmommy; 02-27-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Expert Forum User

If you can, I would recommend investing the money in a good stroller whether new or used. I used my stroller all.the.time. I started to realize how inaccessible most buildings are because of how much I used my stroller.
    Yep. And I mention it, 'cause it sucks so much to lug a stoller up a flight of steps. I can't even imagine the diffuculty for someone with true accessability issues.
    Wife to Doug and Mother of
    Alex, Nick, Hanna, Mya, Madeline and twin sweethearts, Isabelle and Abigail
    Sewing Mei Tais for Canadian Mamas

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Mumma View Post
    If you don't like it or it's hard to use, the hassle of a stroller you don't love using might just stop you from getting out as much as you can. It's hard enough with two little ones, to not be house bound,
    ITA.
    formerly Kathy

Expert Forum User

Hindsight is 20/20, so if I could do it over again. I would get a snap n go stroller and then a stroller that I loved (no matter the cost) to use without the car seats as Kathy said. Even better if the stroller I loved also accommodated the car seats.

I know some families do it, but I cannot imagine having a car with twins and another child. With a stroller in the trunk you do not have room for anything. We purchased our van when they were 6 months old because we realized we could not travel at all without having trunk space.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by twinmommy View Post
    I know some families do it, but I cannot imagine having a car with twins and another child. With a stroller in the trunk you do not have room for anything. We purchased our van when they were 6 months old because we realized we could not travel at all without having trunk space.
    We had to get rid of our old minivan, and buy an extended minivan! We were going from 2 kids to 4 though, not 1 to 3, and the old minivan (2000 Caravan) couldn't accommodate seating all 4 of them with 2 of the car seats rear-facing. :P But, on top of that, the not-extended van didn't have any room behind the third row, so there would have been no room for a double-stroller back there. (That's the main diff. between an extended and not-extended minivan: cargo room behind the third row.) I don't know if that would have been reason enough to get a new vehicle -- the car seats problem was the clincher, plus our old van was on its last wheels anyway -- but it was reason for us to buy an extended rather than another non-extended one.

If only having 3 kids in a not-extended minivan, you could have cargo room for the stroller by pulling out one of the middle-row bucket seats in the middle (and thus keeping the cargo/stroller in an open spot in the middle row -- not the safest arrangement in a crash though), or, if there's the option of having a bench in the middle row and if you could squeeze all three car seats across the bench, not have a third row in place and use the third-row space for cargo/stroller. But if upgrading to a minivan with 3+ children including multiples, I'd really just recommend getting the extended version. Non-extended minivans really just really aren't that big with all the seats in, particularly for cargo room.

Anyway, OP, not telling you you should have to trade in your car for a minivan, but if you do decide to do so at some point, just something to consider when deciding between extended and non-extended versions. (And, esp. if your babies are still rear-facing at the time, make sure the seating/row spacing of the vehicle you choose can accommodate all your car seats (including rear-facing convertibles, not just infant seats) in the necessary configurations!)
    Last edited by Ceili; 02-28-2011 at 08:25 AM.
    formerly Kathy

Expert Forum User

Yes, if you decide to buy a van I would recommend the extended as well. We looked at booth and realized the non-extended we would have the same issues as with a car.

We love having the extended van for the cargo space, we have lost some of it now that we have DS2 but still lots of room.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast