Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Clothing Donations

So I still have a few items to get rid of (shorts, skirt, nursing bras), one of the items is my old winter coat. Had it for 20 years or so, very heavy full length wool coat. Would goodwill or St. Vincent dePaul take it if it needs buttons sewn on and a new tie up belt? I bought buttons but never got around to sewing them on and the belt finally broke. Other than those two things its in fine shape and its warm so I hate to just chuck it in the garbage.

Anyone know?
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! Mommy2Cuties's Avatar

I think a few stores, maybe not right now, will give you a discount on another coat when you donate one. Can't remember what they are but I know the coats go to a charity in town and you get a price cut on a new one - it's a win win situation.

but to answer your question, I am sure they probably will. Maybe put the buttons in the pocket with a little note or something and maybe they can get a volunteer to sew it on.
    I stole Turtle's Lollipop! xoxo

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)

I recommend dropping it off at Women's Community House, Bethesda or a shelter. There are so many women that need items there.
    Life is what you make it! Fo shiz.

I know when I worked at street patrol we would have either brought it to the goodwill that had “by the lb“ part or tossed it out we did not have the man power to sit and fix every broken zipper, missing button etc etc that came through the door (and it was alot)

on a personal note when I was homeless it drove me nuts when people handed me clothing that did not function the way they should IE no button or zippers.

so I guess my answer is toss or bring it to the goodwill by the lb store.

not meaning to sound like a b**** either

Quote Originally Posted by sittingpretty View Post
    I know when I worked at street patrol we would have either brought it to the goodwill that had “by the lb“ part or tossed it out we did not have the man power to sit and fix every broken zipper, missing button etc etc that came through the door (and it was alot)

on a personal note when I was homeless it drove me nuts when people handed me clothing that did not function the way they should IE no button or zippers.

so I guess my answer is toss or bring it to the goodwill by the lb store.

not meaning to sound like a b**** either
    Its ok, this is why I was asking. There is lots of life left in the coat, but it would take some work. I'm done with it so I don't want to put the effort into it, but there is no point dropping it off somewhere if its more work then the places can put into it. I totally understand, it takes effort and time to fix the buttons, which is why I'm not doing it!
    Mommy to three adorable kids!