Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Progesterone

Default Progesterone

Anyone else on this right now?? Not by mouth but inserted in vagina? I swear it's causing yeast infections. So every 14 days Yay ....I get a yeast infection. For me it stops my peiod as well, so my cycle is extra long cause nothing starts until I find out I'm not pregnant, then I stop the progesterone, then the cycle begins anew. Wondered what other experinces with this were? I think I will ask if I can take it orally next time I check in with Dr. Martin
    Mom to the Desmanian Devil ( May 05 )

Expert Forum User

What about injections?
    I had to take progesterone when I was pg with DD for completely different reasons, but I got a shot in my butt once a week. Not fun, but better than a yeast infection!

Thanks Marvin
    I had no idea it was available by injection, I'll look into it.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I took it vaginally when trying for Evalynn. I didnt get the yeast infections you are talking about. Are you SURE it is yeast infections though? I was on prometrium and it greatly increases discharge and it is almost chunky white discharge (which is totally normal). Also of course you wont get a period on it - periods dont come with elevated progesterone levels. You need to go in monthly for blood work to know when to stop it.

I was on it for about 6 months then we gave up on it. I did however take it during the 1st trimester with both Evalynn and this baby.
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

I have never taken it, but I am meeting with my. dr. tomorrow to discuss possible reasons that I've had at least 4 early miscarriages and chemical pregnancies. From the reading that I've been doing, I've seen that progesterone treatments may be recommended to help me sustain pregnancy. Just wondering if this is the same reason that you (or anyone else on this thread) is taking it.
    Last edited by lovemylittles; 02-08-2011 at 03:58 PM.

This thread is very informative. I do better if I can kind of know what to expect and Dh and I are in our first IUI cycle. I have not started prometrium yet.

I was told that I could take prometrium either orally or vaginally. Vaginal is recommended to minimize other side effects and it is apparently better absorbed this way. To take is orally I need to take it an hour before eatting or drinking anything or 2 hours after. My impression is that it is the same pill for either route.

Thanks for the heads up on what to expect!

Quote Originally Posted by newmama View Post
    I have never taken it, but I am meeting with my. dr. tomorrow to discuss possible reasons that I've had at least 4 early miscarriages and chemical pregnancies. From the reading that I've been doing, I've seen that progesterone treatments may be recommended to help me sustain pregnancy. Just wondering if this is the same reason that you (or anyone else on this thread) is taking it.
    Yes, exactly the same reasons, early miscarriages. We haven't made it past 3 months. I was able to carry previously but DS is almost 6 now and I'm 41!! So Dr. Martin's theory is my body does not produce enough progesertone to sustain a pregancy. He laso put me on DHEA to improve my egg count. We will try IUI soon if we can't get pregnant naturally as the clock is really ticking.

Quote Originally Posted by princess2808 View Post
    I took it vaginally when trying for Evalynn. I didnt get the yeast infections you are talking about. Are you SURE it is yeast infections though? I was on prometrium and it greatly increases discharge and it is almost chunky white discharge (which is totally normal). Also of course you wont get a period on it - periods dont come with elevated progesterone levels. You need to go in monthly for blood work to know when to stop it.

I was on it for about 6 months then we gave up on it. I did however take it during the 1st trimester with both Evalynn and this baby.
    It's possible it's just irriatating me and not a full blown yeast infection. The monostat helps so maybe I'll just use the external cream and see if that will suffice.

Expert Forum User

I would just take it orally and see. No sense in the monostat and other creams if it is not neccesary.

Can I just say .....it also makes me fart like a mad women!!

I would not suggest taking it orally. The side effects are much more when taken orally. When taken vaginally it is absorbed much closer to where it's needed. It is messy and all - but unless you're on a very low dose oral will be a problem. I have to go on it to get pregnant ... I have very wacky luteal phase. With my first daughter we tried for close to a year and I knew I wouldn't get pregnant because I would start to spot 2 days after ovulation until my period...every cycle. My RE put me on prometrium from the day after ovulation until my expected period date. I took 2 of the little yellow pills three times a day. I would test the day of my expected period and would stop the pills if negative. Luckily for me it was positive and I stayed on them. This pregnancy they were a miracle again for me. I don't think I'd stop the pills right away though if it was negative...I would continue the pills for 3 more days, re-test and then stop taking just in case. I've had a late positive test before and would hate to go off the prometrium if my body needed it.
    I searched high and low for info on this when I suspected I had low progesterone. I was so confused and worried..... but for me if meant the difference of getting pregnant or not. Most doctors suggest staying on prometrium for the first trimester and coming off anywhere between 12 -14 weeks. I was so nervous and had a lot of cramping and stress when trying to wean off, my OB let me stay on for much longer until baby was big and moving lots for my comfort sake. Feel free to ask me any Qs about prometrium as I've come to learn quite a bit

I'm on prometrium (600 mg), but it is to try to keep my bleeding under control. I have been bleeding since November 1st almost non-stop (I have had 6 days with no bleeding total). The side effects are pretty intense when taken orally, which I have to do as I am bleeding. I did have a chance to take it vaginally during a 4 day cessation of bleeding and couldn't believe how clear my head felt. It was messy, but I'd take the mess with a clear head over this fuzzy state. Have you been taking an acidophilus supplement? That might help minimize the yeast. Hope you get some relief soon.
    HappyandBlessed
    Maman to five
    DS born still Dec '97
    DS Dec '98
    DS Dec '03
    DS Sept '06
    DD May '10

Expert Forum User

Maybe different doses? I never had issues taking it orally at all.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by HappyandBlessed View Post
    I'm on prometrium (600 mg), but it is to try to keep my bleeding under control. I have been bleeding since November 1st almost non-stop (I have had 6 days with no bleeding total). The side effects are pretty intense when taken orally, which I have to do as I am bleeding. I did have a chance to take it vaginally during a 4 day cessation of bleeding and couldn't believe how clear my head felt. It was messy, but I'd take the mess with a clear head over this fuzzy state. Have you been taking an acidophilus supplement? That might help minimize the yeast. Hope you get some relief soon.
    I forgot about the side effects, I agree with this and I was only taking 100mg twice/day. I was dizzy and my head was definitely fuzzy, I was a little nauseous, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyGirls22 View Post
    Maybe different doses? I never had issues taking it orally at all.
    I guess it depends on the person?
    Alicia
    Mommy to Summer, Avery, and Bentley

I am on a high dose, so I am sure it has more of an effect.
    HappyandBlessed
    Maman to five
    DS born still Dec '97
    DS Dec '98
    DS Dec '03
    DS Sept '06
    DD May '10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast