Expert Forum User

Default baby shower sewing project ideas

I would like to make something for a baby shower next month. I would appreciate any ideas of things that I could make. I am a beginner sewer so something easy, perhaps with a pattern. Any suggestions are welcome.

I had one idea so far. I remember seeing a homemade project that had pockets attached all over; for diapers, toys, bottle, cream,etc. When you wanted to spend time outside or in another room you just fill it up with everything you need and go. It had ties so you could tie it to the outside of a playpen. I spent alot of time outside with my kids and remember not wanting to run back in for everything that I may need. I guess you could hang it in the babies room too. I did a search on the web but didn't come up with anything. Anyone know of anything like this?

Expert Forum User

within walking distance of downtown but a good part

i got a blanket that was made just for me with logans name on it since we had already picked it

I sell AVON I sell SCENTSY JOIN THE PARTY!

Zoo
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I gave a friend something like this and she liked it but wished it was bigger...maybe making it yourself would give you the option of making it big enough to wrap a larger baby?
    http://www.bonnybabies.com/babywrapperstowels.htm

Expert Forum User

Two easy projects that will be well recieved are:

A) huge recieving blankets. Buy 1.1 metre of flannel (each) and hem edges. I use them for everything, swaddling, burping, nursing cover, floor blanket, etc etc.

B) Bath towel with hood. Buy a regular size bath towel and a matching washcloth. Fold washcloth in half, sew one of the short side to itself unfold and sew the opposite side in the middle of the long side of the towel to make a hood. Way thicker than regular baby bath towels yet still has a hood to keep baby's head warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Spots View Post
    Two easy projects that will be well recieved are:

A) huge recieving blankets. Buy 1.1 metre of flannel (each) and hem edges. I use them for everything, swaddling, burping, nursing cover, floor blanket, etc etc.
    you took the words right out of my mouth...I especially love the huge receiving blankets.....insted of one or two spit ups I get like 4 or 5
    Becky Mom to X and C

You could make a simple taggy blanket...make it as big or as small as you'd like, get some cute ribbons, sew them right sides together leaving a spot open and then flip it around and sew around the edge. I made one for a girl last year for a baby shower...
    Mom to 4 kiddies
    DD(9 yrs) & DS#1(6 yrs) & DS#2(4 yrs)
    & DD#2(1 yr)

girlsmum

Talking

My MIL made our girls homemade matching blankets with teddies on them, she made window dressings to match but that may be a bit much. Something like that which is just for baby............for me, I'll never part with those little blankets.

I agree that nice big receiving blankets and towels are so nice to have over those facecloth-sized ones you'd buy in a store. Spit ups and such is something you want to catch before it hits the couch or the floor.

Good luck, would love to see pics of whichever your finished product is...............

Expert Forum User

My mom is a sewing fanatic - it's awesome. She was able to sew a bunch of things for my baby shower.

The 1.1mtr flannel receiving blankets are definitely the most used.
    Smaller receiving blankets
    Burp cloths
    Bunch of quilts for tummy play
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

Mump&Grump_Mom

I like to do double sided flannelette blankets, really easy and really cozy for baby. Take two co-ordinating flannelette patterns, cut them into large squares (you choose how large, I usually go for 30x30) pin right sides together, I usually take a plate or other round object and draw a curve on the corner, so the corners are rounded. Sew a 1/2 seam around, leaving an opening to turn the fabric. After you turn the fabric you press and pin the opening closed. You can then top stitch the entire blanket, either in a straight stitch or a more decorative stitch. The square size is perfect for swaddling, and they are a great size for playing on the floor/playpen, warm enough for outtings.

Happy sewing!

Expert Forum User

My fondest gift was from my Aunt, she took a nice Bath Sheet and put a girly fabric on the other side with piping. along one of the shorter sides she put 2 straps on it, so that you could be hands free when pulling your LO! at first I was not so sure but 4yrs later we still use them everyday! It was easy breezey to make so I was told. Just a thought!

I made Ali a taggie blanket when she was weeny and she still loves it. And they are so expensive to buy new for what they are.
    Also how about a simple crib-sized quilt? The first one I made I just bought a patterned panel at Fabricland, backed it with fleece and put that batting stuff in the middle, then sewed around some of the pattern on the front. The next one I did was a very simple patchwork. They are really easy to do and relatively quick. I found that they came in handy.
    I like your idea too though. I've seen something similar that had a clothing hanger sewn into it so it could hang on the back of the bedroom door.
    Mom to Ali (3) & Eva (1)