Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default School and name shortening:(

The twins...they are Valaree and Kadence....Even last year in JK, the teacher caught on that Kadence's nickname is Kady...however, last year I made it clear at school when it came to what the teacher called her, and when it came to learning to read and write her name, her name was Kadence....Well she has a new teacher this year, and I didnt realize that I guess everyone at school this year calls her Kady now until I was looking at the Valentines Day name list and I couldnt find her name...and then I saw Kady...This bugs me...no wonder when anyone calls her real name she doesnt respond. If you ask her what her name is she'll say Kady, ask her to spell it she writes Kady...I've made sure at home that I and the other kids call her Kadence now, and my family has known for awhile no more Kady....but should I be this mad?

Expert Forum User

Not much you can do...you can't control everything. Once a nickname catches on unless it bothers the person themself and they make an effort to correct every person who calls them the nickame it's pretty likely to stick.
    Last edited by MomLiz; 02-03-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I'd just speak to the new teacher about it
    tough times don't last but tough people do

Expert Forum User

Sounds like your DD prefers Kady. Not a battle you're likely to win.

04/05/12 & 28/09/12 - Mama loves you, Babies.

Expert Forum User

I'd speak with the teacher. Some ppl think all kids names should be shortened. Not everyone likes their names shorten and your DD is too young to know if that's her wish. As she grows she can speak up and tell the teacher no I'm Kadence.
    DS June 2007
    DD April 2010

"No influence is so powerful as that of the mother."- Sarah Josepha Hale

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by CMR78 View Post
    Sounds like your DD prefers Kady. Not a battle you're likely to win.
    I wouldn't say she “prefers“ it, if that the only name she's hearing for most of the day.

I'd talk with the teacher about and ask her to use her proper name and hope the other kids catch on.
    My little man was born on Oct 12/08 at home into Dad's loving hands.
    My little lady was born on July 28/11 at home... Daddy was busy keeping mom company.

I have 1 baby Santa Suit for Sale 0-3 months (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/vbclassif...&memberid=2201) or to Trade (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/104323-tr...it#post1592622). Thanks for looking!

Expert Forum User

I am not trying to rude but can I ask why it bothers you so much?

Expert Forum User

SOHO and Somewhere between here and there.

I think I would be bothered too. You chose the name Kadence because you liked it, if you wanted her to be called Kady, you would have called her Kate or Katherine I assume?

My name can actually be shortened, but when it is, its an entire other name and I can't stand it.

I agree with the other posters, I'd just have a chat with the teacher.

Even if the other kdis keep calling her Kady, the teacher can use Kadence and they will catch on eventually.
    Last edited by Entreaquiyahi; 02-03-2011 at 11:16 AM.

If i wanted her called Katie, I would have named her Katherine or something...I chose Kadence cuz its a musical name that meant something to me(changed the spelling) however...her name is Kadence...what started as the nickname Kady Kat...has turned into what every seems to think is ok to call her. She is 5...to young to be telling everyone to call her Kadence and not Kady...I just wrote the teacher a nice letter for tomorrow, and I will talk to her teacher at school in the morning at the ice rink.

Expert Forum User

I know how you feel. Talk to your DD as well. Does she like it or is she just used to it. I had it in school and have said many times its the reason I am careful with name selection.

It seems petty and silly to some, but when you grow up and have one name for 5/6years than all of a sudden everyone starts calling you something different it becomes confusing.

I would be annoyed with the fact that they have stopped having her write her full name on paper...unless again that it was her choice, than not much you can do.
    A by the book mama to a completley healthy DD Dec.2002 and doing it all different, BWng, CDing, BLWing, crunchy mama to an equally healthy DS Nov.2008 apparently a cosleeping mama DS Aug. 2011

Expert Forum User

I agree that having her learn to write the short form of her name is wrong, that is not her name and she should be taught how to write her whole name. A name means a lot to parents and I think you have every right to be upset and bring it up to the teacher. I personally named my daughter something partially because of the short form but she will be taught her full name.

I would write a note to the teacher. Explain what you the parent want.

Expert Forum User

Ya, if it's bothering you that much, I'd write the note to the teacher. But if she's asking or preferring to be called “Kady“ then really doesn't sound like it's a battle you're going to win. When my son was that age, everyone started calling him Andy. He was very adamant at 4 years old that his name was not Andy, it was Andrew and addressed it himself as such. Teachers included. There was one teacher in particular in grade 3 that insisted his name was Andy and he went to the principal on his own to address her behaviour. He was called Andrew every since. I know the name means something and I really understand where you're coming from. Our second's name is Angela and everyone calls her Ange. She prefers it. Makes me cringe but when she writes her name, she writes Angela. But she will answer to Ange. For me, it's just not a battle worth fighting. It's annoying like nails scratching on a chalk board, but it is what it is. In the grand scheme of things, maybe teach your DD that you like her full name and try to see if she can get it to stick on her own. She's going to go through stages for the rest of her life that she's either going to be Kady or Kadence. Just know that one day she'll change her mind and you'll have a whole other battle to contend with.

Expert Forum User

What name does your DD prefer?? I say go with that one.
    ~ Annie ~
    Mom to 4 (B24, G23, G19, G9)

My Blog: It's just my life...
    Follow me on Twitter: @anniecannie

I've tried for years to have ds called by his full name. It seems this year in grade 7 I have lost the battle

I corrected his Grade 4 teacher once during a Team meeting because it bugged me that much. The teacher commented that my ds never said anything to her about it and I told her that a child (especially mine) probably wouldn't correct a teacher for a short form of a name and she agreed with me
    Enjoy everyday - they go by way too fast!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast