Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuttering

Expert Forum User

Default Stuttering

is it normal for a 2.5 year old to stutter a lot?

[/url]

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

stuttering or stumbling to find words?

my nephew stutters and i find my children pick it up.
    DS a couple weeks ago was having verbal difficulties but now its different, so we went with stumbling trying to find his voice... Its interesting that Lacuna would say that cause i know we were quite concerned, but it lasted for a short time... (he just started with tyke talk too)
    How long has it been going on and is it all the time or certain words?
    Last edited by ratz; 01-28-2011 at 03:22 PM.

Banned

my nephew Jackson 3.5 has started to stutter the past 5 or so months. He does it when he is feeling excited to say something.

If he slows down he doesn't stutter.

I've noticed that Connor and Noah pick up on it and do it sometimes as well.

I think their brains are just moving faster then their mouths can talk

Define normal, lol.

DS never stuttered.

DS stuttered for about a year when he was 3. Drove me crazy!! lol. Dr said it was normal.

“life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away“

For a while my DS would repeat a word over and over again when he was excited to say something but unable to find his words quickly enough. He would say things like
    “Why why why why why why why is daddy sick?“. Sometimes I would stop him mid-speech and tell him to collect his words first and he could then say it without stuttering no problem. I find it's gotten a lot better over the past few weeks.
    So, not sure if it's normal, but for us this seems to be going away on its own. I'm also not sure if what DS did would actually be called stuttering.

Expert Forum User

At that age yes. Some kids go through phases, especially during language explosions where sentances get longer. My oldest did. I talked to Tyke Talk but by the time we got our appointment his phase had passed. His phases each lasted a month. So I say wait longer than that before starting to worry.

If you mean is it worrisome, I think it depends if he does it every single time he speaks? If you ask a yes/no question even, does he stutter out his reply? Or is it just sometimes, or longer speeches?

DS went through a stuttering phase. They said it wasn't actually stuttering, it was (something like repeating?). A stutter is apparently when you repeat the part of the word, like 'p p p p p lease can I g g g go to the p p p park' where as he was repeating the whole word.
    His we later linked to a combo of things:
    Too much sugar (or dye) and too overtired.

I found out dh had been buying big tubs of gummi bears and sharing them with ds, which was wayyyy more sugar than he was used to, plus we had been busy with a move and he was not sleeping as much - still gets it occasionally when he's really overtired/excited at the same time.Not for long though.

HTH.
    DS was almost exactly that age btw, when it started for him. And he'd had no speech problems at all before then.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

just a little tip..
    as long as you don't make a big deal out of it.. and talk to him like its normal.. he will more than likely grow out of it.. if you are concerned you can ask for a referral just to make sure that everything is ok.
    my BIL has stuttered his whole life.. it wasn't a good situation for him.. on occasion my son now has issues with speaking.. as a pp stated. he gets excited.. and has trouble getting out what he wants to say.. we just say. stop.. slow down.. take your time.. and he's normally fine.

What we did with ds was just waited patiently, maintaining eye contact and not looking at all exasperated. Letting him know he could take his time. Sometimes if he was really struggling, we would guess and ask him “You want juice?“ so he could just nod in relief, instead of struggling on. But usually we tried as much as we could, to let him get it out, even if it went on and on.

Also we acknowledged it to him, like said “Sometimes it's hard for you to get the words out, isn't it? It's ok. Just take your time. We'll wait and we'll listen.“ etc. That seemed to make him feel good.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

huh, now that you all mention it, it does seem to be when he's excited and trying to put more words together than usual. Sometimes he repeats a whole word, sometimes just the first part. I won't worry then .

[/url]

Expert Forum User

ds stuttered quite a bit when he was between 2 and 3 years old. i was super stressed about it, but the doc said it was quite normal. we ignored it and it went away completely.
    now the kids talks so fast i can barely get a word in edgewise and not a stutter to be heard, ever.
    ~"Just because I have strong opinions, does not mean I judge. Do not mistake passion for judgment. For you might find you are the one doing the judging". ~ Unknown

Yes it is

DS stutters all of the time (the beginning of a word.) My DD did the same thing at this age and outgrew it pretty fast. I think it is just a phase that some go through. I am not worried about it this time around (with my DD I was worried, but it only last a couple of months)
    Michelle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast