Thread: Info please!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Exclamation Info please!

What do I *need* to do to take DS out of school? Is there anything else I *should* do? And can you link me to what I need to know about pulling him? Something I can print off regarding my rights to educate him. Thanks.

All you have to do is send a letter to your principal and board saying you are removing him from school and intend to educate him at home.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by *allie* View Post
    All you have to do is send a letter to your principal and board saying you are removing him from school and intend to educate him at home.
    Yep, that's it.

You do not need to provide anything beyond that basic Letter of Intent, nor is it recommended that you do so. (For example, no need to supply them with curriculum plans, etc., even if they (wrongly) ask or pressure you to do so. Direct them to the Ontario Ministry of Education's PPM #131 if they give you any hassle in that regard.)

For more details about your rights and legalities, all the info you need is available online at OFTP
    Last edited by Ceili; 01-27-2011 at 05:34 PM.
    formerly Kathy

Thanks.
    Kathy, does this mean I have to send them a letter each year or just once?
    The board should accept the written notification of the parents each year as evidence that the parents are providing satisfactory instruction at home.

Parents who decide to provide home schooling for their child(ren) should notify the school board of their intent in writing. Parents should provide the name, gender, and date of birth of each child who is receiving home schooling, and the telephone number and address of the home. The letter should be signed by the parent(s). Parents may use the sample letter provided in appendix B to this memorandum. If the home address changes, parents should notify the school board of the change of address.
    If parents decide to continue to provide home schooling in subsequent years, they should give notification each year in writing prior to September 1 to the school board in whose jurisdiction their child last attended school. The letter should contain the same information as that in the initial letter described above.
    This says a letter every year.
    And to give them every change of address.
    Yes? no?
    Last edited by Thistle; 01-27-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brown_eyed_girl View Post
    This says a letter every year.
    And to give them every change of address.
    Yes? no?
    My sister took her daughter out of school and only had to tell them once.

Expert Forum User

Meh, the Ministry's policy says to send it each year, but I've heard of families just sending it the first year, and not bothering in subsequent years, and not having any trouble. You should def. send it the first year at least, though, so they school system knows that it's absolved of the responsibility of instructing your child (and so the schools don't think that your kid is truant, instead of homeschooled).

The “requirement“ of the Letter of Intent is not actually a legal requirement: it's Ministry policy, not law. The policy is a ministry agreement on how to approach homeschooling, and a simple way to keep the school boards satisfied and off homeschoolers' backs (eg, prevent them from attempting to over-reach their jurisdiction and unwarrantedly investigating into homeschoolers' private lives and homes), but as it is not law you have no legal requirement to follow it if you don't choose to do so. So you might choose to send the letter every year, or you might choose to just send it the first year, when you pull him, and only send it in following years if/when the school or school board requests one. Up to you how you want to go about it, really. You could always ask around with other homeschooling families (via A Different Drum, for instance) that have pulled their kids out and thus needed to submit letters of intent, and see how they choose to handle it.

(FTR, the actual writing of the policy says that the letter only has to be sent to the board, but AFAIK many people send it to the child's actual school too as a courtesy, to let them know what's going on and why your child is no longer coming to school.)
    Last edited by Ceili; 01-27-2011 at 06:30 PM.
    formerly Kathy

Expert Forum User

Adding:

Legally, the only actual requirement for your child to be excused from compulsory attendance at school is that he be receiving “satisfactory instruction at home or elsewhere“. (And the law does not give the school boards the explicit right to determine “satisfactory instruction“: that's basically for you and your child to define for yourselves (which is what the Ministry policy is meant to make clear to the school boards).) So all that you need to do, legally, to homeschool your child is, well, homeschool him. (ie, provide for his continued learning needs, don't neglect him educationally, etc.)

The letter of intent/Ministry policy is just a way to “play nice“ with the school boards, and avoid potential conflict. Since it's a fairly non-invasive policy/request, the Letter of Intent (particularly when first pulling the child out) is a fairly reasonable measure to take. But it's not something that you need to worry about doing "perfectly" lest you not have the legal right to home-educate your child, yk?
    Last edited by Ceili; 01-27-2011 at 06:42 PM.
    formerly Kathy