Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default we're listing our house soon...

...and I'm so nervous! I feel like I have SO much work to do. We've gone through most rooms and pitched/donated things that we don't need/use, and I've touched up any trim/paint that needs work. What else should I be doing?! I feel like I should be doing much more, but I don't have a clue what.
    And - talk to me about staging your house. Any tips? What did you do to "stage" your living space?
    Thanks!

Expert Forum User

We totally had to stage our house when we sold it last year. I'm a huge packrat and we packed up almost all of our stuff that wasn't nessesities (sp?) and stored it at my inlaws. Our agent said nothing should be on the counter tops including toasters etc. My kitchen aid mixer, coffee maker, all of it had to go. We actually finished a bathroom and replaced a carpet to sell our house. It was so much work. I have heard people say that having kids can test a marriage, for us it was home renovations.

Expert Forum User

You had to put away your KitchenAid mixer??? That makes me sad - I love looking at mine. I would think that it would be a nice countertop accessory. Toasters I understand (ours is ugly and big), but KitchenAid? Boooo! I'm assuming the same rule applies for bathrooms? Just the basics on the counter? (soap, etc).
    Any other tips?

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper's Mom View Post
    I have heard people say that having kids can test a marriage, for us it was home renovations.
    I can see that, for sure. Already it's driving me crazy, as the next 3 days are DH's only days off before we plan to list next weekend...and he's playing in a hockey tournament all weekend, plus we have Clair's baptism on Sunday. Argh! The good thing is, my frustrations over the fact that I *have* to do everything myself just makes me a psycho-cleaning/organizing machine.

Banned

We were told pretty much the same as PP. All counters clear, even things like toothbrushes should be out of sight. Anything you don't need get rid of (ie, out of the house). Soft music playing. Put all the lights on, even in the middle of the day. And if you can arrange to bake bread that morning, or have dinner bubbling merrily on the stove, even better.

Expert Forum User

I know! I thought the mixer would be a selling feature. They have pretty things like that in model homes right? It even matched the walls. We were super rushed because our agent is a family friend and we were dragging our heels so he listed it before we were done so we would hurry up.

Expert Forum User

So, where do you store your toothbrushes, then? Under the sink? I'm assuming people would look there, though. I would...

Expert Forum User

We also packed up all family photos. I didn't want people knowing what we looked like. I also did the lights on when we went out. The agent's will usually turn them off on their way out after they have shown the home.

We had to put most toys away so we only had a small basket.

Banned

We stuck them in a drawer. I think the point is that it makes the counters look big when nothing is on them. I would hope that people wouldn't be surprised to find a toothbrush in a bathroom drawer! Although we did hear some very weird feedback. Lots of comments on stuff like they didn't like the colour of the walls, or they didn't like the couch. Well we're not selling the couch and the walls can be painted!! Some people seem to only want to buy a house that is already exactly the way they want it to be. I found the whole thing extremely frustrating. At the time I had two under three, was pregnant with the third, and we had two big dogs. Every time someone wanted to come and look I had to clean the entire house then get everyone, dogs included into the car, and we'd drive around until the people had been and gone (I'd park on a side street and spy on the house). I'd get really annoyed when they'd spend 2 minutes in the house, and show up in the last 5 minutes of the hour they asked for. Or not show up at all!!! I wish you lots of luck. I hate trying to sell a house.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Definitely pack up personal photos and put them away. If your walls end up being bare, buy some cheap (but classic looking) prints to hang. Mirrors are good too, especially for making rooms appear brighter.

Have a few healthy-looking plants here and there. It's appealing.

Don't light scented candles the day of showings. They can give people headaches - not the effect you want a potential buyer to experience!

If you have a tablecloth, take it off and showcase your wood. Have a small, simple vase of flowers on the table.

White in the bathrooms, if possible - white towels, white shower curtain, and so on. It's bright and clean looking which is what you want.
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

Expert Forum User

I second the no scented candles! There were always scented candles burning when we looked at our house. There was a reason for this. Once we moved in the carpets had to be replaced because of weird smells.

Expert Forum User

I don't think my house stinks, but I'll certainly keep the scented candles in the closet. Who am I kidding? The last time I had a candle burning in this house is when I wanted to get pregnant with Clair!Great ideas, ladies - I appreciate the help!

Expert Forum User

All good ideas so far! Organize your closets, cupboards, fridge... people will look EVERYWHERE. Remove things from under the beds (if you have stuff there). We bought all new towels and put fresh flowers everywhere. Make sure your furniture is set up to make the room look big, not to make more floor room for the kids! Put the toys away. Mmmm... trying to think of what else. We have made a bit of a hobby of moving and I actually love it! But you already know that I am crazy!

Expert Forum User

How many toys should I keep out for my dear children? We have a GIGANTIC toybox that Clark got for Christmas (thanks, sis...but it's HUGE). Should I just chuck crap, er toys, in there? We also have a set of the organizing bins that were all the rage in a thread started by Ali'smama. I've cleared them out and shipped some toys to my grandparents house. Most things are organized - cupboards and closets are pretty near perfect. Our office is a disaster, but nothing a giant garbage bag can't take care of (DH just puts crap in there and, until recently, I've refused to do anything with it). By disaster I mean that we just have too many books - and friggen pens - in there.
    Last edited by teacher_mom; 01-10-2008 at 09:44 PM. Reason: disaster

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast