Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Honestly, sometimes I don't know what to do with the babies either. They don't do much. With #2 I found getting a carrier and just going about my day - laundry, dishes, cooking, cleaning, etc while wearing the kid was easiest. Stuff got done, baby was entertained, and from all that watching she's a tidyier at 2.
    Last edited by ChinUp; 01-22-2011 at 07:19 AM.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Expert Forum User

My DH took our little one on trips to Canadian Tire, Home Depot, etc. for a change of scenery and to give mom a break.

My partner would wear our little one and just take her out with him. Groceries, coffee , meeting friends. she loved her daddy walks so much that while she was teething that was the only way she would fall asleep.

What an awesome Dad you are! I'm a lucky Mommy too - my husbands a helpful Dad too. 6 mos is a tricky age because they still don't to a whole lot at that age. We were lucky that the weather was warm when our son was that age. My hubby would take him out in the stroller a lot or we'd all go and he'd push the stroller and tend to the baby's needs and we'd all walk and I'd get to just walk and hold his hand. But in winter, he took our son to the grocery store! He loved it! So much to see. Also, masonville mall is a great place to go - especially the upper level. The seniors that sit up there love seeing babies! If you have a carrier that you can wear on the front that allows your little one to face outward, you can even do little chores or things you enjoy and your baby can interact with you. Our son loved to hold onto the wet plastic dishes while his Daddy washed the dishes - a little wet, but fun.

Oh, a good trick we found especially when he got fussy from boredom - spinning round objects - like a wedding band or something larger to avoid swallowing hazard - like a round coaster or toy ring...they seem fascinated by that motion. My son is 1 1/2 now and still recognizes the sound of something spinning and gets excited to try it!

You are doing a great job. Just stay involved. It may seem a little harder now but it will pay off.
    My HD did all he could and now at 4 and 3 they think he is a rock star or an F1 driver for sure.

Expert Forum User

I think other posters have given you great ideas and it sounds like you are doing a wonderful job. Welcome to LM's, so glad to see fathers wanting to get more involved!

I think everyone here has nailed it... reading is a great one... Get some good rhyming books (Dr. Suess board books) that have some repitition to them, I found that the short rhymes keep their attention... and eventually you will memorize them... I can recite Dr. Suess A B C's verbatim, but I've had 2 and a half years of reading it...

Getting out and running errands is a great bonding experience too... You get stuff accomplished, and get to spend time together... it's a win win... I can't wait for spring, we've got three now, and I'm dying to get them over to the park to play and enjoy that fresh air!

The one summer I cleaned 10 pounds of tomatoes while preparing canning Salsa with our son in a Babybjorn... He loved to splash in the water and try and grab the tomatoes. Try getting a Babybjorn or another baby wearing device and doing some stuff around the house.

Oh... There is also watching sports together... There is nothing better than having some “kangaroo care“ with your child as they fall asleep on your chest or in your arms while you enjoy the afternoon game / race.... snuggled under a nice warm blanket!

Your wife is lucky to have such a hands on hubby with the kids!! Welcome to LM's!
    Babies are bits of stardust, blown from the hand of God.

I'm using the sling.
    I didn't like it until he was about 4-5 months, now it's great.

Easier to carry, and he likes it more than the more structured carrying harnesses (I have tried both front and back carrying)

I know my DH loves to read to our daughter - everything you are pretty much doing already, but honestly there is so much more outside of the house to do. We go to a baby and tot swim at the White Oaks pool - it's heated and runs 5 days a week. There is also books for babies at the libraries across London. We sometimes go to the movies - they have them playing by weekly at Galleria Mall and I think Westmount and Silver City have a similar program - that can be fun to do and takes up a few hours of your time. I hear that OYEC programs are fun. I found a couple of people on this website and we get together about once a week and do whatever. Maybe there are some other dads that just want to get out and get their babies interacting with one another?!?! Good luck! And great job!!

Looking to rid chemicals from your home and start living a healthier lifestyle? Message me and I'll show you how![/B]

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Definitely check out the Dad's group at the Westmount OEYC on Saturday mornings. My husband likes it there, he goes through spurts of going frequently, then not for a while, then he'll go back again frequently.

What about a swimming lesson?
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12