Thread: Pet Insurance

Default Pet Insurance

I was wondering if anyone has had pet insurance before, and if so through what company? I'm looking into it cause my cat has a Urinary issue and he keeps having to go into the vet and the bills are really adding up. I've spent a good $500 already on 2 visits and he has to go back in probably in 2 weeks (which will be another $180+). I love my cat but if this keeps up we might be in the poor house.

bump

I was thinking of it before we got our Gordon Setter, at that time it was around $17 a month, the basic one. We decided not to go for it. In your case I'm afraid it's too late for an insurance as as far as I know, they wont cover a health probblem that already happened once, nothing that is already in your pet's vet record (unless your vet would be willing to "change" that record to help you, but I doubt it ) Simply any pet insurance company would not cover pre existing conditions. So that wont help you with this at all..BUT it was like 2 years ago when I went thru it, so it might be different now?
    Last edited by lucka; 01-20-2011 at 05:48 PM.

ugh....so I can't get pet insurance then? This is Bentleys first *problem* but im worried that it might turn into something more serious and reoccuring....ive been thinking maybe i should get pet insurance

Quote Originally Posted by slowlygoingcrazy View Post
    ugh....so I can't get pet insurance then? This is Bentleys first *problem* but im worried that it might turn into something more serious and reoccuring....ive been thinking maybe i should get pet insurance
    yeap, too late now. They wont cover it anmore But your dog is so young, it's horrible. I'm afraid these medical conditions like to repeat But if your vet woud be so nice, he could just "not mention" it to help you to get the insurance as with a clear record. They will cover it then...I just can't imagine how to ask it as it's pretty much a fraud? or how to call it(I had a vet once who was willing to help me that way, he suggested that, I would never ever had that courage to ask him such a thing, but we decided not to go with insurance at the end anyway...)
    Last edited by lucka; 01-20-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Plus, unfortunately these medical problems are so common and happen so often in cats and dogs, plus are so costly, I would doubt they are included in a basic coverage. Anything that would cover it would be more expensive to pay monthly...
    But wasn't checking that lately, maybe I should to give you more accurate and updated information!

Expert Forum User

I looked into it when I first got my dalmatian. Instead I decided to self insure, putting $20 a month into a savings account with the theory she would be healthy as a pup and there would be a large fund to tap into when she was older.
    Turns out she was (still is) accident prone. I should have gone with the insurance. Oh well.
    When I looked into it common things for the breed weren't covered. Purbreds cost more to insure.