Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job Hunting

kirst74

Default Job Hunting

Just looking for any other links to job postings/boards for jobs here in London.....these are the ones I look at everyday:
    www.monster.ca
    www.workopolis.com
    www.knighthunter.com
    London Free Press classifieds
    www.kijiji.ca
    EI Job bank

Any others out there I'm missing?? Thank you in advance

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! Mommy2Cuties's Avatar

I know Facebook has job postings in the marketplace classifieds how good they are I have no clue, I have never looked.
    I stole Turtle's Lollipop! xoxo

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)

Expert Forum User

http://jb-ge.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/intro_en.aspx

this is the government canada link.

Expert Forum User

What line of work are you looking for?

Expert Forum User

Last time I was looking for retail work I noticed some companies just list on their own websites.
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

I am not sure if London has these but do that have places where you can go and they help you look for work, help you with your resume and also do some testing to see what sort of work is best suited for you?? I heard those places have lots of sources for job hunting... worth a shot.

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)

kirst74

I have never had such a hard time finding a job in my life!! I've applied to soooo many places and have had ONE interview in 6 months (well almost 2)!!! I even got to the point that I just applied to some retail places and still nothing.....rather upsetting really....but I'm starting to wonder if it's because I'm applying online!! Sounds strange but I just wonder if it would be better to apply in person (although some require you to apply online only).....I dunno....getting very frustrated now.....the good news is I have an interview for a clerical/customer service postion in a tax office next week....My fingers are crossed

Quote Originally Posted by kirst74 View Post
    I have never had such a hard time finding a job in my life!! I've applied to soooo many places and have had ONE interview in 6 months (well almost 2)!!! I even got to the point that I just applied to some retail places and still nothing.....rather upsetting really....but I'm starting to wonder if it's because I'm applying online!! Sounds strange but I just wonder if it would be better to apply in person (although some require you to apply online only).....I dunno....getting very frustrated now.....the good news is I have an interview for a clerical/customer service postion in a tax office next week....My fingers are crossed

Good luck!

Expert Forum User

Good luck! I'm actually looking to relocate to the Durham region (east of Toronto) and the task of looking for a job seems so daunting. Thanks for the sites and reminder to get my butt in gear!!

Good luck with your interview!
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

Expert Forum User

We used this site a few years ago. HIH

http://www3.sympatico.ca/apuchti/jobs.html

Becky Mom to X and C

Expert Forum User

I hear you...when I was looking to relocate here I applied to what felt like 1000 jobs - more like a hundred and I got only 4 interviews but they all hired internally....

tips....even when applying online:

Have your 'base' resume and 'template' cover letter reviewed by a professional...EI has people who will do it for free as mentioned earlier.

Then make you resume and cover letter specific to each company...mention the company name in your objective, cover letter etc. In my HR experience company can get 100's of resumes for jobs so general purpose resumes or two long resumes often get tossed in the NO pile.

I do research about the company and add skills specific to thier company in the cover letter such as "Your website indicates that you....I have had successful experience with (insert your strengths)"

I always call the company and find out the name of the person who does the interviewing and send a hard copy of my resume and cover letter with thier name...gives it a personal touch make sure to ask for correct spelling.

Follow up with a phone call to ensure that they received your hard copy resume...lets employers now that you are truly interested in position and not just throwing out resumes for some EI requirement (lots of people do this unfortunately)

Also another tip when you get an actual interview...jot down all the names of people who interviewed you and send a thank card out for thier time and the opportunity - can highlight why you would be honoured to be a part of their team...make sure to send it the same day you interviewed...it should get there while they are still making a decision and the note brings your name back to the front of the screening table as a thoughtful and interested party...I have been told by two employers that my 'thank you' card was the deciding factor between me and another interviewee we were tied with work experience and interviewed well...

As for the websites you are using - looks like you have the bases covered ...although aggree with pp...think about which companies you might really like to work for in London and see if they have a website...and watch their online postings....maybe even if appropriate volunteer for the one you might like the most (not sure what career you are seeking)

Good luck!

kirst74

Awesome advice...thank you!!! Thanks to all of you for your input and well wishes.....much appreciated

Expert Forum User

within walking distance of downtown but a good part

i know my hubby is looking for a new job he is a chef and a glazier( installs glass and windows) and no one wants to pay a good wage for his trades

I sell AVON I sell SCENTSY JOIN THE PARTY!

girlsmum

Smile

My husband had a long line of online apps for months only to be told by someone that the companies didn't read them for the most part?..............most go by internal hiring or referral from current employees?....we both didn't see the point of the advertising in the first place. That's not always the case though, he has gotten a few calls, but the percentage compared to apps was really low. And then, when they do call you, you do an interview along with so many other ppl. It's really hard to find work these days.

DKL...................you are so right, b/c of the lack of jobs, companies know they can get away with paying crappy wages that are well beneath the going rate for tradesmen. The almighty dollar and shareholders lining their pockets, stinks!!!

Kirst74?.................the very best wishes that this job is yours!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast