Default sewing machine help

My top thread on my singer prelude sewing machine keeps breaking- What do I do ? I have researched and I might need a new needle or change the tension. My number at the top is at 2.

are you sewing with a pattern? if so it should tell you what tension to be using, I'm usually at 3-4 depending, unless I'm making some sort of ruffle.
    have you re-threaded it? sometimes if you miss a strand of the thread it will get all messed up too..
    or you could be using the wrong type of thread for your project..

HTHs! I'll check back to see if you figure it out.
    Last edited by MKerton; 01-15-2011 at 08:19 PM.
    Petal Babies General Store Inc.
    Open Monday - Sat.
    www.petalbabies.com

In your manual, it should recomend a tension range for normal sewing. Make sure the thread is not wrapping around anything and getting caught. Some spools have a notch on the spool that can catch the thread and prevent the thread from coming off the spool.

A bur on the needle can shred the thread. Replace the needle to eliminate this possibility.

The other thing is to look at your thread. If you are using cheap/bargain thread it can be prone to break.

I got it so the top thread isn'tbreaking now as I adjusted the tension to a 6 since I was sewing 3 layers now I have loops on the bobbin side. ARGH i am going to bed and will try again monday. I am trying to sew bandana bibs instead of paying someone else $14 a bib. I bought all my supplies today at FL for 50% . It should be enough material to make 10 bibs for only $7.50. Now I just have to figure out the looping bottom thread issue and I will be a happy momma. Thanks for all your help so far.

Posting a successful update- Insert happy dance here. I got it working. Ran out of the edging stuff . Have sewed 3 bibs. 2 with the edge stuff but need more. Cost for materials is cost of one bib and I still have enough fabric left over to make about 10 more bibs. Now I just have to solve the snaps application. Time taken. 2 hours total. Too bad I already ordered 6 bibs for $100.

You can do them without the edging like this:
    put the 2 outer peices right sides together, and the inner layer on top, sew around the edges leaving a gap to turn it right side out, turn it, tuck the edges of the gap in and top stich it closed.
    Once you are done them all PM me and we can set up a time for you to bring them into the store and I'll put snaps on them for you.
    Open Monday - Sat.
    www.petalbabies.com

Thanks !
    She is going to have 10 bibs that are all the same pattern.
    and
    I will try the no edging idea.

Ok so the first one for the no edging did not work because it ended up being too small so I need to make my pattern a big bigger to accomodate turning it inside out and part of the good fabric did not catch either so I scrapped that one but will try again sometime.

Ok so i tried again making the pattern an inch bigger all around. I give up. I think I should pay someone else to make them instead of getting frustrated. I even pinned all the edges and cut again to make sure all the layers were the same and still didn't get the stiches to hook all three layers. Lesson learned but I tried. I will still try to stop to get the snapes on the 3 i did get done.

lol sewing can be frustrating for sure! If you want to bring in some stuff I might be able to help you figure out what went wrong...just e-mail or call first (my DH can put the snaps on for you as easily as I can, but his sewing skills kind of stop at a straight line lol)
    Open Monday - Sat.
    www.petalbabies.com

Thanks @ MKerton- much appreciate it.
    I will take you up on the offer one day soon and come for a visit.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by eyebeeablessing2u View Post
    Ok so i tried again making the pattern an inch bigger all around. I give up. I think I should pay someone else to make them instead of getting frustrated. I even pinned all the edges and cut again to make sure all the layers were the same and still didn't get the stiches to hook all three layers. Lesson learned but I tried. I will still try to stop to get the snapes on the 3 i did get done.

What size needle are you using? If my machine begins skipping stitches or not catching, I'm usually using the wrong needle size/type for my project. 11-14 is suited for lightweight and 14-16 is suited for bottomweights.

I always have my tension between 4-5, and if there is an issue, a complete re-thread is usually in order.

Don't give up!
    Wife to Doug and Mother of
    Alex, Nick, Hanna, Mya, Madeline and twin sweethearts, Isabelle and Abigail
    Sewing Mei Tais for Canadian Mamas

I have no idea what needle I am using LOL
    I re thread it all the time.
    and I need to get an iron as well so I can iron it flat before I re sew the edges. I did it so I don't have to add the edging part.
    I will re try later on in the week maybe when my DS is at school and DD is with her worker. I am also going to try to use up some fabric I had bought for some drapes. How hard could that be

Expert Forum User

Look around online for tutorials. There are so many tips and patterns to help you out.
    Wife to Doug and Mother of
    Alex, Nick, Hanna, Mya, Madeline and twin sweethearts, Isabelle and Abigail
    Sewing Mei Tais for Canadian Mamas

There are some great newer 'learn to sew' books at the public library - I found one that has super simple baby patterns and gives detailed instruction on how to sew many items without edging like someone was describing above.