Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Expert Forum User
    laurana'smom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Southdale/Wharncliffe
    Posts
    4,018
    Rep Power
    291

    Default Victoria Public School

    I am registering dd for jk next week and was just wondering if there were any other LM kids that go to the school.
    Shannon

    Nothing is Impossible, if you just Believe

  2. #2
    Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!
    one ordinary girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    this side of crazy
    Posts
    29,176
    Rep Power
    1844

    Default

    Are you feeling sad yet? I was in the office yesterday and the secretary was getting the little packets ready and I got this over whelming urge to cry! OY! What am I going to be like when I actually pick up that package!
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

  3. #3
    Expert Forum User
    laurana'smom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Southdale/Wharncliffe
    Posts
    4,018
    Rep Power
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by one ordinary girl View Post
    Are you feeling sad yet? I was in the office yesterday and the secretary was getting the little packets ready and I got this over whelming urge to cry! OY! What am I going to be like when I actually pick up that package!
    YES!! I was sad when I called the office about registering her. LOL The secretary was so nice and said come in anytime and I will give you the package. I figure I will take L with we next Friday, she would get a kick out of it. Honestly its hard enough realizing that she is 4 years old let alone having to register her for school. Wonder what I will be like on her first day of school.
    Shannon

    Nothing is Impossible, if you just Believe

  4. #4
    Expert Forum User

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Old South area
    Posts
    2,892
    Rep Power
    159

    Default

    As I said in my rep my oldest and youngest daughters go to Victoria, and have since JK. It's a very small school, with only about 200 students, which I love since I know most of the students. The secretary, Kimberly, is really nice. The new principal started after the Christmas break and seems really nice as well. Not a lot of changes in staff in our time, they are all like a family. Having said that, the kindergarten teacher that was there for 30 ish years just retired, so there are 2 new kindergarten teachers now. Georgia has Mrs. Baxter, and she is absolutely amazing and everyone just loves her! She is such a kind, warm person and she's made Georgia's SK experience so special. They have been on a trip to O'Sheas Farm and the Cenotaph for Rememberance Day so far. Every school day one of the students is the “shining star“ so they get to bring in a favourite book, toy and photos to share. They eat their lunch with the teacher right in the classroom. The last day before Christmas holidays was pajama day. All of the classrooms at Victoria have smartboards.

    I'm not on school council but I am on the fundraising committee and I volunteer my time in lots of ways. They love parental involvement tho I suspect they don't get as much as they would like.

    Children from a wide range of socio-economic levels attend Victoria, from residing at Rotholme women's shelter to huge homes in Old South, which makes for an interesting group of peers. The only downside to this is children can come and go from Victoria really quickly. An example is last year when Georgia really bonded with a little girl in her class and by the time I got around to asking the teacher who her mom was (so I could invite her over sometime) they had already moved on. Also lots of families use Victoria for JK and SK and then move on to Lord Roberts or Kensal Park for french immersion in grade one.

    HTH!
    Last edited by Lynyrd; 01-14-2011 at 03:33 PM.
    Lynn, newly employed mom to Evelyn (13), Sophie (10), and Georgia (6)

    GIRLS ROCK!!

  5. #5
    Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!
    one ordinary girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    this side of crazy
    Posts
    29,176
    Rep Power
    1844

    Default

    Might want to wait till the 24th that's when registration starts!
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

  6. #6
    Expert Forum User
    laurana'smom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Southdale/Wharncliffe
    Posts
    4,018
    Rep Power
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by one ordinary girl View Post
    Might want to wait till the 24th that's when registration starts!
    That's what I thought too but she said last week when I called to come in anytime. hmm maybe I will wait.
    Shannon

    Nothing is Impossible, if you just Believe

  7. #7
    Expert Forum User
    laurana'smom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Southdale/Wharncliffe
    Posts
    4,018
    Rep Power
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynyrd View Post
    As I said in my rep my oldest and youngest daughters go to Victoria, and have since JK. It's a very small school, with only about 200 students, which I love since I know most of the students. The secretary, Kimberly, is really nice. The new principal started after the Christmas break and seems really nice as well. Not a lot of changes in staff in our time, they are all like a family. Having said that, the kindergarten teacher that was there for 30 ish years just retired, so there are 2 new kindergarten teachers now. Georgia has Mrs. Baxter, and she is absolutely amazing and everyone just loves her! She is such a kind, warm person and she's made Georgia's SK experience so special. They have been on a trip to O'Sheas Farm and the Cenotaph for Rememberance Day so far. Every school day one of the students is the “shining star“ so they get to bring in a favourite book, toy and photos to share. They eat their lunch with the teacher right in the classroom. The last day before Christmas holidays was pajama day. All of the classrooms at Victoria have smartboards.

    I'm not on school council but I am on the fundraising committee and I volunteer my time in lots of ways. They love parental involvement tho I suspect they don't get as much as they would like.

    Children from a wide range of socio-economic levels attend Victoria, from residing at Rotholme women's shelter to huge homes in Old South, which makes for an interesting group of peers. The only downside to this is children can come and go from Victoria really quickly. An example is last year when Georgia really bonded with a little girl in her class and by the time I got around to asking the teacher who her mom was (so I could invite her over sometime) they had already moved on. Also lots of families use Victoria for JK and SK and then move on to Lord Roberts or Kensal Park for french immersion in grade one.

    HTH!
    Thanks for the info.
    Shannon

    Nothing is Impossible, if you just Believe

Similar Threads

  1. trafalgar public school
    By AmberCC in forum School Age
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-13-2010, 01:22 PM
  2. Westmount Public School
    By M2M in forum School Age
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-13-2010, 07:13 PM
  3. Victoria Public School Area
    By goingcrazy1978 in forum General Support/Advice about the Kids!
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2008, 07:41 PM
  4. Lorne Ave Public School
    By mcgann19 in forum Education
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-09-2007, 07:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •