Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mom2mysh

Default Options to half-day JK?

Hello girls!
    I've started researching JK options for my soon-to-be-4 son. Our neighborhood school is half-day every day. Both DH and I work full-time. Currently my son's daycare buses kids from the school to daycare, but they told me not to count on having the service next year. Our FI school doesn't start till SK. I'm not too keen on keeping him in daycare as I'd like him to get comfortable with the idea of school. But I'm stumped right now as I'm not seeing a good solution to the half-day program. How are you handling the JK situation?

Not all schools have 1/2 JK. Call around to some school's close to you and see if you can find one that does full day part-time. The other solution would be to put him in full french as it is all day, 5 days a week.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

A transition from daycare to school won't be that bad if you wait until sending him to FI in SK. I despise half-days. It only works for us because I was/am either home, or working weird hours (did midnights for a while, and am now on straight afternoons and we have a sitter pick the kids up after school).

Expert Forum User

I am having a hard time with 1/2 jk and work. I struggle every week to make sure someone is there to pick her up. Next year she will start FI and I can't wait to not have to worry about it. I might keep my youngest out of jk for the reason of 1/2 days. For the most part I manage, but its very stressful.

Expert Forum User

I know as a daycare provider, it is hard to find a daycare provider that will do the 1/2 day kindergarden program drop off & pick up for you. I'm doing it this year for the first time and I won't be doing next year.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    I know as a daycare provider, it is hard to find a daycare provider that will do the 1/2 day kindergarden program drop off & pick up for you. I'm doing it this year for the first time and I won't be doing next year.
    It is sort of funny that you mention that because trying to find someone to do that for dd has been almost impossible so I wioll now have to put of my postsecondary upgrading another year. However i am now thinking maybe I should offer this in my area since I am like a 3-4 minute walk from the school and no longer have infants
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

Expert Forum User

You could offer 1/2 day kindergarden care and I'm sure you would fill up.

Right now I am dressing 4 others, to take one to and from SrK. It breaks up our morning and I feel so rushed at everything from breakfast to naps to crafts to getting lunch.
    Last edited by Donna; 01-09-2008 at 06:54 PM.

I am not in the city, but our school offers both a full day and a half day program. You give your first choice to them at registration in November. I actually chose half days because it is going to work best for us. My son will do better with the consistence of going to school every morning and we are fortunate that he attends a child care that offers the Best Start Program. This means that an Educator from the child care picks up the children at lunch and takes them back to the child care centre.
    Do any of the schools in your area offer a Best Start Program in their school or child care? I would never have chosen half days if this program was available.

Good Luck!
    Mom to 2 boys 5 and 3

Expert Forum User

1/2 day is better than the new 5 day system we are on.... Every time there is a holiday or PD day the schedule changes. So now sometime I need care twice a week sometimes four times and as it changes it becomes confusing for all involved. I know that we had at least 10 registered JK / SK students go to another school when this was implemented this year because they couldn't find care for such a convoluted schedule. Personally my DS is no longer in swimming or piano lessons because they are offered on the same day every week and the schedule at school now interferes...

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I didn't bother placing my son into JK (he turned 4 on oct 1/07). Since I am a SAHM, he's staying home with me this year fulltime. We just moved in mid August and there were already so many changes going on for us and believe me when i say our son doesn't do well with so many changes at once! Had we put him into school, it would have been the school closest to us which also runs on the everyday 1/2 day thing and personally I hate that system! We are sending him to SK FI in Sept/08 and he will be bussed (not looking forward to the school it will be but not much I can do about that!). Most ppl I have spoken with prefer the every other day full day schedule over the 1/2 day one (I wouldn't even call it that, isn't it more like only 2 hours?).
    Last edited by 2boysmom; 01-10-2008 at 03:42 PM.

I take kids to and from school in the half day program ... but next year I wont be and I'll be working full time outside the home and I'll be the one looking for help. My daughter goes 8:15-2:45 everyother day but will be daily this coming Sept...not sure what I"ll do for that!

Half days are a pain in terms of finding care, but from the perspective of an SK teacher, are *much* better academically for the kids. DS will start JK Sept. 2008 and DH and I are planning on each taking a year off from work to deal with the dilemma. We will be offering care (1/2 days too, with pick-up/drop-off from our neighbourhood school) to bridge the financial gap and to help our friends out who have similar issues.

My son is in JK now - he goes every day half days. We're sending him to French Immersion next year. I am a stay at home mom, so I sent him to Jk so he could get used to the routine of schooling, he hasn't learned a whole lot other than his letters (he knew them before, but now he can write them and knows what sound they make).

JK was invented in to make sure that kids who never attended any sort of daycare were capable of leaving mommy, following school routines, being in a large group and so on and so forth. Your son gets that from daycare - so long story short - he doesn't need JK.

I wouldn't have sent my own son since he had daycare experience and I knew he'd cope with SK when he got there just fine, but truth be told, I enjoy having him out of my hair for 2/5 hours a day. Free babysitting!
    K
    Mom of two sweeties

mom2mysh

Thanks so much for great responses!

mom2mysh

Default "Best Start" program info?

In the 'options to JK' thread one of the posters mentioned Best Start program. Educator picks up kids from school and takes them to daycare. I know University Heights school has something like this, but what other schools are participating? Where can I get more information on the program? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast