Default TVDSB Awards of Distinction?

I have a ? about these. Maybe one of our TVDSB teacher-moms can answer. Last year I nominated a teacher from our school. She was dd & ds's K teacher & she was retiring. She didn't get the award but was tickled by the nomination. The scretary at our school said that they've had several nominations and never been chosen.

I was thinking about doing it again but not sure how valid my nomination would seem after nominating a teacher last year. So, I was thinking the primary nominator could be dd. She's grade 5 so she could write an excellent letter herself. Her teacher this year is absolutely outstanding. If one of our teachers is going to finally get it, it should be this one.

If a teacher at your school has gotten it, what set them or the nomination above the rest?

Expert Forum User

I think we had a sk teacher that won one year. The teacher I want to nominate doesn't qualify even though he's been at our school for 4 years and has had both my kids. He is fabulous.
    Proud mom of 3 wonderful children

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

My sister has won. She was thrilled more by the acknowlegement than winning. I believe there were nominations/letters from various people she encounters--parents, teachers,EAs etc. Maybe if you start talking you can have others write in too?
    I think your DD should definitely write the letter. I'm sure her teacher will be very touched.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

We did have letters of support last year (a fellow teacher, the principal & 2 other parents).

I really want him to get it. I just emailed our principal about it. This year, I know a little more about his professional development, teamwork & other categories they want addressed. Last year he jumped in to coach the track team when the teacher who regularly did it was teaching Gr 6 and track falls in EQAO time. I offered to vounteer with the team and the track & field day so I got to know him.

This teacher is really 'off the charts' outstanding. He puts a huge amount of time & his own money into the classroom. He always volunteers for sports teams. He's willing to give up his own time to work with the kids whenever they need it. He's really respectful of the kids. But beyond that, my dd comes home talking animatedly about what they learned that day! I love that! We had a long discussion Friday about what they learned in class because she found it so interesting. He's just able to reach the kids in a way I've never seen a teacher before. Not to mention he emails the parents what they did that day with links so that you can help your child! His report card was all very anecdotal & showed he really ahd gotten to know the kids & really thought about what he wanted to write. This is someone for whom teaching is truly a calling & not a job.
    Last edited by Snickerboo; 01-10-2011 at 10:32 AM.