Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Registering a Special Needs Child for jk

ok I dind't want to put this in the other thread.

I am stressing out over here. Can you guys give me some tips as to how I can get help for dd2 for school.

Yes she will be 4 in Feb but mentally she is like a 20 - 24 month old. Along with Fetal Alcohol she has PDD-NOS and a service dog. She is also not toliet trained and I can't see her being it when she goes to school either. Just not physically or mentally there. Yes we have her on a routine for potty and have for about a year but she doesn't get it or understand.

So what did you do and who did you talk to about this.

Thanks
    Scentsy Rep. on Facebook Perfectly-Scented Scentsy my website www.perfectly-scented.scentsy.ca

Fundraising to get our daughter a service dog. please feel free to visit her fundraising page https://www.facebook.com/groups/415637608516807/

SPARKLE TATTOO!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Danas...41850885905215

Expert Forum User

I have a friend that has a little guy with fetal alcohol attending in September. He's already had 2 or 3 meetings with the principals and the support organizations that this child will need to succeed in the school. My suggestion is to call the school and ask the principal what you need to do to ensure a successful start to school
    Last edited by toystorymama; 01-10-2011 at 07:36 AM.
    Proud mom of 3 wonderful children

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by out_in_the_boonies_mom View Post
    I have a friend that has a little guy with fetal alcohol attending in September. He's already had 2 or 3 meetings with the principals and the support organizations that this child will need to succeed in the school. My suggestion is to call the school and ask the principal what you need to do to ensure a successful start to school
    THIS^^^^ and do it sooner than later. Give them time to get the supports in place.
    www.southhilldesigns.com/carolwood
    www.facebook.com/charms2last.carolwood

The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown

Expert Forum User

thanks for the advice. I will be doing this when the kids have a nap.
    Scentsy Rep. on Facebook Perfectly-Scented Scentsy my website www.perfectly-scented.scentsy.ca

Fundraising to get our daughter a service dog. please feel free to visit her fundraising page https://www.facebook.com/groups/415637608516807/

SPARKLE TATTOO!

Expert Forum User

This is so hard... that is how my daughter was at that age... she is now 6 years old and in grade 1 homeschooled of course because when I contacted the school it was not a good experience .... so I decided homeschooling was the best fit for my daughter.

I would arrange meeting and I will be praying they go well.
    ~ Annie ~
    Mom to 4 (B24, G23, G19, G9)

My Blog: It's just my life...
    Follow me on Twitter: @anniecannie

Expert Forum User

I met with the school in February and got the ball rolling. Unfortunately, the first school I contacted was a horrible experience. So I contacted the second school and prayed for a better experience and it has been a fantastic experience since day 1.

I would recommend contacting a Parent Mentor at TVCC. I had a parent mentor come out to a meeting with me, she provided guidance and took notes. I would also recommend attending the TVCC get ready for JK program. It is a 5 day program in the morning, DD2 would go to “school“ while you attend a parent education sessions on special education for your child.

The earlier you can get started the better, your school will need to apply for EA funding. We found out in June that DS got an EA full-time which really made it easier for us to deal with the thought of him going to school in the fall. It made our summer a lot less stressful.

Expert Forum User

ok I have the mail to the princeble. (sp) so how do I write a letter and get in it what I want to say and set up a meeting with her.

SPARKLE TATTOO!

Expert Forum User

I believe they will set upa team meeting at the school. Are you involved in CPRI or TVCC? I would ask one of the therapists there about getting ready for school. TVCC has some programs to prepare parents and children for school.

I called the school DD is attending in Sept and set up a meeting with them...I spoke to the secretary who directed me in the correct direction and put me through to the learning support teacher who called everyone we are with and set up a meeting so that everyone (pretty much) could attend.

April 14, 2001-May 05, 2001
    April 29, 2015

Expert Forum User

ok when I ask for a team meeting do I tell them what she is diagnoised with and what we are looking for in ways of help or what do I say?

SPARKLE TATTOO!

Quote Originally Posted by twinmommy View Post
    I met with the school in February and got the ball rolling. Unfortunately, the first school I contacted was a horrible experience. So I contacted the second school and prayed for a better experience and it has been a fantastic experience since day 1.

I would recommend contacting a Parent Mentor at TVCC. I had a parent mentor come out to a meeting with me, she provided guidance and took notes. I would also recommend attending the TVCC get ready for JK program. It is a 5 day program in the morning, DD2 would go to “school“ while you attend a parent education sessions on special education for your child.

The earlier you can get started the better, your school will need to apply for EA funding. We found out in June that DS got an EA full-time which really made it easier for us to deal with the thought of him going to school in the fall. It made our summer a lot less stressful.

I agree with this, contact TVCC Parent mentor

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

when I registered D I just walked in with every single report I had and said I wanted a meeting to register her, heres why and read these before the meeting I dont think I am the norm though.

We ended up with a meeting that included her teacher, the EA's, prinicpal and LST teacher as time went on we had a CSCN meeting and other meetings on a regular basis.

My one piece of advice is bring info on FASD and be pateint they probably know lots on ASD but FASD is not an area where they are well versed esp given that signs and symptoms change so often

I would definitely go in now. They allocate EAs in the spring, by May at the latest I believe. I would go in and speak with the secretary and ask what the procedure is. Hopefully you can meet with the principal.

Are you sure you want to send her? No harm in keeping her home if you want to. My DD didn't do JK. Just a thought.
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

Expert Forum User

oh yes we want to send her. She is in preschool and the teachers there like her. She does need a lot of cues and reminders.

But school would be good for her and where we are right now it is only 1/2 days. I dont' think she would last a full day.

SPARKLE TATTOO!

Cool - Is your preschool affiliated with any third parties like All Kids Belong? If so they can send a person along with you when you meet with the principal/teacher/LST/etc and they can convey some of the issues and refer back to their notes.

Definitely have someone from the parent mentor program attend with you if you can.
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast