Expert Forum User

Default How do you not panic?

DS has been home for 2.5mths....He's been healthy and happy since we got home.. But over Christmast everyone kind of got a little sick..I had a throat infection, dd had a cough. Yesterday ds starting coughing..nothing major. Well today he sounds a little weezy (more then normal) , is coughing more and its sounding "wet". He doesn't have a fever, is eating well and is happy. I called the ped and am taking him into the clinic at 4, but in my mind I've already have him diagnosed with RSV and in the hospital....and I'm freaking out. Does it ever get easier???

Banned

We'll be facing this for probably a year after Sophia is out of treatment. Even now while she's in treatment I refuse to get any worries until anything actually happens or I'd go stark raving mad. My comfort is my prayers for her health and taking it one day at a time. If you fear, take him in for a check up without hesitation, better safe than sorry and you'll both sleep better afterwards. I am curious though......is RSV so easily contracted?? Your DS is one of the strongest looking preemie I've ever seen and if anyone can ward off any *stuff* it's him.

HUGS! And yes, it does get easier, it has to. For both our benefits!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Our situation isn't exactly the same, but I worried and still worry about DS. It slowed down a lot at about the 3 month point. We have to think about a shunt malfunction, which can happen anytime without warning. The symptoms are vomiting, irritability, not eating, not sleeping or sleeping too much. Sounds like a lot of things. I am currently in the midst of a week-long fearfest as I wait for a tooth to pop through and every day that it doesn't I second guess myself and wonder if his crying is actually his shunt.

Maddening indeed!

But, yeah. About 3 months at home and I started to breath and relax about everything. Four months for sure, because I started worrying about SIDS and normal baby stuff instead of infections and malfunctions and wound leaks and all of that other fun stuff.

did you get your DS the RSV vaccine?

I worry about Martyn a lot. Considering he has had on going breathing issues, he gets excited and his breathing goes wonky, and then with his hospital admission etc. It's trying for sure.

Not the same I know, because he was in the NICU, but understandable all the same.

Expert Forum User

My YDD is missing a kidney, found in utero. We worried for about 2 months after she was born. Now when she has a fever for no apparent reason, has smelly pee or seems uncomfortable, I worry that she might have a UTI. We have to be very careful she doesn't sustain any damage to her one good one.
    So I don't know that it ever really gets easier.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pumpkinery-Creations/220912411314225

Expert Forum User

It does get easier, but it takes a while. The bigger and stronger they are, the easier it gets.

DD ended up back in hospital with RSV and pneumonia a month after being released from the NICU. But she was still so tiny and unable to fight it off. She's now over a year old and your DS is still bigger than her, so I'm sure he's got a lot more 'fight' in him than you realize.

Expert Forum User

Thanks ladies. He has had the RSV vaccine, but having school age kids in the house I'm so paranoid they are going to bring something home. I think a lot of this anxiety has to do with the fact that we almost lost him and I'm still really scared something else is going to take him away from me. He's a very healthy robust child (16.5 lbs at 3.5mth corrected) and has never had lung/breathing issues so I know I should find comfort in that, plus he's exclusively breastfed....I just find it hard for my mind not to wander.

Lilia was in hospital for 6.5 months, and many time the first couple years of her life. So it took us a few years before our worrying slowed down about RSV and pnemonia's etc.... now at 5 years old we jsut worry about other stuff (like having a collapsed lung lol)
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

giant hugs!
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

DD is almost 2 corrected and she is sick more than not. She has had h1n1, rsv etc. etc... I think sometimes we need to remind ourselves that they are stronger that we think - after all - that is what got them through everything they did.
    Hope he feels better soon!
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

The worring/panic does lessen over time, for myself it has taken about a year to not panic everytime my LO has an issue. It's ok that your scared and it's ok to panic and rush your LO in to emerg. That's what we as moms do when our children may be at risk. The fear will slowly subside as well. Be well-xxx

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

How has he been doing?
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

oh it gets easier. you go through things, and deal with them, and your son will make it through.... you've been through so much with him of course you don't want to see him sick any more. Its normal and healthy to be worried. You'll leanr to trust your instincts. You say you've convinced yourself he's going to be sick. Thats your motherly instinct kicking in to force you to get him looked at. In my experience, they are very rarely as sick as worrying makes you think they are.

Hugs!
    Last edited by Tannaleigh; 01-08-2011 at 07:17 PM.
    Yale 4yr old
    Kane 1yr old
    and baby makes 3!!! Errr... 4!

Expert Forum User

He's ok....cranky cranky cranky....we took him to see Dr. R yesterday and he got a does of steriod and a ventolin puffer. He has bronchiolitis. He's just very wheezy and has a cough. He's eating/peeing well...no fever. Just grumpy. So we're keeping a close eye on him, but so far he's ok.