Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default SAH moms, when do you clean?

In the past couple months I've found the house work is falling more and more behind.

I'm hoping someone has an amazing routine that may help me. lol.

But really, when do you do the dishes, laundry, sweeping, and dusting? A little each day when the kids are napping or is it cleaning day on Saturday? What works for you.

Expert Forum User

My house is a disaster. I have been trying to tackle one 'extra' thing a day. I am starting to see a difference. It also helps that my oldest DD is starting to help keep her own things picked up thanks to bribery.
    I really have no suggestions Sarah. I too would love to come up with a schedule.
    Good Luck!

Banned

I'd love a schedule too. Dishes are done as I'm making dinner and right after dinner. Laundry is done once everyone is in bed. Anything else is done either when I can't stand it anymore or when their Dad has come to visit them. And I make him help me since he doesn't take them out of the house to give me a break to get it done!
    But basically, I live in a disaster area and I am always about two steps behind. Oh well, plenty of time to clean when they're older.

Expert Forum User

within walking distance of downtown but a good part

between my hubby and me , we get things done , most of the time on sat i take my laundry to my parents place, because i live in an apt, and it would cost too much , and when i am there my hubby cleans the apt from top to bottom , as there is no kid, dog or me there to distract him , and during the week , i wash the dishes from the night before while cooking because i am in the kitchen anyways , but during the week my apt becomes as disaster, and oh well what are going to do , we have kids!

I sell AVON I sell SCENTSY JOIN THE PARTY!

i have actually developed somewhat of a routine, my worst thing is laundry!! i can NEVER get it put away. So, I bring all the baskets(sometimes 6-7) upstairs to bedroom area..i bring the kids up with me and turn t.v on in my room and sort laundry. We make it a bit of a game. My ds helps put it in the right piles and he brings his and his sister's to their rooms, the baby keeps herself occupied with empty laundry baskets..or with toys. It takes a couple of hours to put it all away and clean bedrooms and bathroom..but, it seems to work. I want to do 1 load a day and stay on top of it...but, hasn't been sucessful yet. As far as housework, I just seem to be cleaning little bits all day, i clean up the kitchen after breakfast...and basically follow my 2 year old around cleaning up after him..he is NO help lately. My house is never perfectly clean, you can walk in and there are always toys and a bit of a mess but...when you have kids that's what happens.

Expert Forum User

I do homecare as well so with five children plus two adults I have to 'housekeeping' each day to stay on top of things ie, sweep and swiffer the kitchen floor after each meal, dishes after lunch and dinner meals - often tackle the lunch dishes while the kids are eating 'dessert' which in our house is the fruit part of the main meal. Wipe down walls and door knobs as needed from handprints or goobers. I often will throw a load of laundry on in the morning while they are playing well and then fold the laundry and do prep meals while they are down for afternoon napping as well as any prep for the program...getting materials orgnaized for an art project, Monday and Wednesday nights I clean the playroom (disinfect the toys, dust, sweep & mop hardwood and vacuum carpet area).

If you havent guess I am a bit of a neat freak as well as having Celiac which gives me a lowered auto immune system and therefore I am also a bit of a germ-a-phobe. Om top of the above routine I also wipe down the daycare bathroom every afternoon after they have all left for the day with the lysol wipes and clean the mirror as they love to touch it while washing their hands.

Saturday mornings is the 'big' house hold clean and my SO and I share this duty and usually put on some loud 'cleaning' music and get to it - when my SO's son is home he also gets assigned some duties but as he is at his moms every other weekend he lucks out on missing this: Our weekly ritual is dusting whole house / vacuum all carpets and furniture / clean our bathroom / clean and wipe down counters, cupboards, stove and fridge in kitchen and do a good vacuum and a big mop in the vinyl floor. It sounds like a lot but as we do it together it usually takes us about an hour to do our Saturday morning chores so it is not bad.

Once a month my SO does the outside windows while I do the inside windows.

I also have a 'everything has a home' rule in our house where when we are done using something it is returned to its home before we move onto to anything else...so dispite having a home daycare where five children explore throughout the day it is generally neat and tidy at the end of each play period which I think is a huge help for me in keeping the house looking clean.

Haha, I totally don't clean.

Honestly, between the construction and Baby Dumpasaurus it just seems so pointless. We always have laundry and clean dishes to eat off of, but I swear the living room floor may only be glimpsed for 3.2 seconds before Katie is dumping a bucket of something on it.

I have lofty hopes of my new larger house being easier to keep clean. That whole everything has a place bit. Right now every 3 things has one place, and there's nothing I can do.

Expert Forum User

Not sure how its going to work, but I just made myself a checklist for all the things that need to be done daily, weekly, monthly etc. Hopefully this will help me keep on top of all the little things, like dusting, that I usually forget. As for when I try to get as much done well shes naping as possible, some lil things at night if needed and when it gets terrible I take a day. Fortunatly though Dh dosn't mind doing any of it and usually makes sure things are kept clean.

totallyawake- I love the "everything has a home" thing but I always just have too much crap and a hard time organizing what items should have a home together (esp. when it comes to crafts) Are you a pack rat or do you tend to get rid of lots?
    ...and in that moment I swear we were infinite.

Expert Forum User

You see I was given a little plaque with this saying on it:

Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow...
    For babies grow up, we've learned to our sorrow.
    So quiet down cobwebs: dust go to sleep.
    I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

I feel it is very true. I spend time with my kids, I've never used a play pen (other then sleeping at grandma's) and feel quality time is important. It just seems when I'm at other people's houses, they are so much cleanier. You don't see laundry baskets filled with clean clothes to be put away (I usually get it washed, it is the putting away that is a problem), or dishes from last night, or cob webs.

But I guess if my babies have everything they need it doesn't matter what the house looks like. I just feel too embarrased to have friends over most days. kwim.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sardam View Post
    You see I was given a little plaque with this saying on it:

Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow...
    For babies grow up, we've learned to our sorrow.
    So quiet down cobwebs: dust go to sleep.
    I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

I feel it is very true. I spend time with my kids, I've never used a play pen (other then sleeping at grandma's) and feel quality time is important. It just seems when I'm at other people's houses, they are so much cleanier. You don't see laundry baskets filled with clean clothes to be put away (I usually get it washed, it is the putting away that is a problem), or dishes from last night, or cob webs.

But I guess if my babies have everything they need it doesn't matter what the house looks like. I just feel too embarrased to have friends over most days. kwim.
    Come to my house!! I have all those things!

What is this thing you call "dusting"? Never heard of it!

Expert Forum User

Love that poem Sardem - it is so true...I know when they are awake I try to make sure that they have my undivided attention for the most part....you should see me go during naptime though fortunately my group sleeps for two hours plus most days.. which I must admit is a great help at keeping on top of things!

Stepher - as for being a pack rat depends on whose definition you are using...if you ask my SO yes I am definitely a pack rat although I am much better at perging things like clothes lately!

Sorry this part is a little long...feel free to skip it but if you are looking for organization tips i have been told that I am very anal about organization.

As for organiztion the kids playroom has several shelves with bins which are labelled with a photo and the name of the items to be stored there. In the living room I have two large baskets that fit nicely under our coffee table - these are divided into 'quiet toys' such as selection of books and puppets the second is manipulative toys stored in 6 smaller rubbermaid bins (small animals, legos, interlocking rings, puzzles, etc). When we play - we can make as much 'mess' as required and take out what is needed for our current theme of play...when they appear to be done with one theme (such as having had a huge picnic spread out over the whole room) and are moving on to blocks or something - if they forget to do it on their own I remind them "looks like you are done with our picnic - time to tidy up" and we have a tidy up song we sing to make it easier. With my little ones under two I often tidy up for them in between themes because their attention span is so much shorter and it can get to be a big tripping hazard with the dumping and moving on to something else....but when we are all done in the playroom they all help tidy up even if it is just having the little ones make a game of putting some items in a bucket while we sing the tidy up song..just to put the steps in place for later when they are old enough to tidy up...right now my eighteen month old is the best tider.

We have ALOT of toys so also have a storage area where 'rotational' toys are stored...in order to take something out of this area it must have a home on the shelf in the playroom or in the living room bins so they must choose to put something back into storage essentially it switches places so to speak and I switch labels.

As for my stuff, this is where my SO accuses me of being a pack rat, I am fortunate to have a craft room seperate from any other purpose and he got to have an 'office' seperate from any other purpose. My space is small so organization is key to be able to stay creative...I have a long rectangle table along one wall. My 200 bottles of tole paints are all stored in little wooden shelves I got from Michaels a few years back and are linded up along the back of my craft table for easy visual finding there are little drawers underneath to hold all my brushes and things, up above the table are two long shelves where I have 14 clear collage bins with all my miscallenous items sorted and labelled by colour (ribbons, buttons, scraps of fabric, bits and bobbles, treasures, etc)I share these things between myself for crafts and scrapbooking and the HCP for their creative art work. All my paper and the kids are in those 'banker box' style dividers from Staples I have two of them which house 16 different colours of paper - I have different kinds of paper but sorted by colour. I also have 4 tall boy plastic drawer units along the back wall that house things like scrapbooking items, my materials for painting like pieces of wood / canvas / tole painting books, etc. the other two units have the HCP craft items for playdough / clay materials, collage mediums like scissors and glue bottles / glue sticks /different kinds of tape adhesives, painting brushes and other painting mediums / many drawing mediums from oil pastels to pencil crayons / weaving / beading / lacing materials / etc.

For me in order to feel creative I need a clean and orderly area...but one of my BFF thrive in chaos..being surrounded by lots of clutter puts her at ease and it feeds her soul...thats the great thing about being human - we are all so different

Expert Forum User

I clean daily, the regular up keep. I do the major things (bathrooms, washing floors) usually on Friday nights or saturday. Technically I'm not a stay at home mom anymore, I work 10-15 hrs a week for a cleaning company..lol.

Expert Forum User

I have a schedule that I pretty much keep to.... I know a bit much but I really do function better with a schedule.... I have it posted on the side of the fridge. My LO gets involved with the cleaning also. Every little bit helps... not sure if I can post my schedule here or not... I can try... if you want.
    ~ Annie ~
    Mom to 4 (B24, G23, G19, G9)

My Blog: It's just my life...
    Follow me on Twitter: @anniecannie

Expert Forum User

I find everyone else's house so clean too. But I have too much clutter, and too much laundry! Both my daughters wear a million outfits a day. One likes to dress up, the other likes to spit up. I'll never keep up with the laundry. I also feel quality time is important. My oldest is at home with me full time, and doesn't nap. So it's tough to clean during the day. Plus I probably have too much leisure time (I'll admit!) I'm going to clean the bathrooms right after this post though!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast