Default First child going to school

I am having a hard time with my Ds going to school in September... and words on how to make it easier on me?

another stepping stone in their life and yours...tough to let go.....to make it easier for you not sure what to tell you to be honest, for your child and maybe this will help you as well....make it something to look forward to, exciting, an adventure.....

Expert Forum User

I just went threw this in September myself. It was harder on me then on him. He was very excited to go and looked forward to it. I just kept telling myself that it would be good for him (and it has been) and that he will have lots of fun (which he does). try not to focus on it too much now, enjoy the time you have left before your LO goes to school and come August you can make special trips to get school supplies with them.
    DS#1 Dec 06
    DS#2 May 08
    DD#1 Oct 09
    DD#2 Dec 10

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by mommyg View Post
    I just went threw this in September myself. It was harder on me then on him. He was very excited to go and looked forward to it. I just kept telling myself that it would be good for him (and it has been) and that he will have lots of fun (which he does). try not to focus on it too much now, enjoy the time you have left before your LO goes to school and come August you can make special trips to get school supplies with them.
    This.. DD just started this year and I so just wanted to keep her home. But she loves it and its made leaps with her speech and confidence. I've missed her like crazy but seeing how much she enjoys it and the improvement she's made makes me feel confident in her being at school.

Expert Forum User

What about it are you having a hard time with? Anything in particular that you'd like to talk about or address?

Do you want to send him? Remember, you do have a choice in the matter; it's your decision to make. JK is optional, as is SK, as is school in general as long as your child is having his educational needs met elsewhere (ie, from Grade 1 onwards).

If this is something that you want to do, and want to do it next year, I'm sure the great mamas here that have gone through it will have some good advice for you. (I don't send our children to school, so I have no been-there, done-that advice in that regard. But I wish you well, whatever you decide.)
    Last edited by Ceili; 01-03-2011 at 03:03 PM.
    formerly Kathy

Sending them to school is tough on moms. When my dd went she was so far beyond ready & so ridiculously social I could not wait for her to go, but not so for my ds. I really treasured those special times we had together, just the two of us.

You will miss him & the first few days won't be easy but it will get easier after that. Is he your ony child? What helped me thourgh was to have a project. I decided on the days he was in school, I would go out for a run & I would go as soon as I dropped him off (wore my running gear to drop him off). It helped to have something to do in that time immediately following drop-off.

Good luck! September is still a long ways away!

Expert Forum User

SOHO and Somewhere between here and there.

I agree with the other posters. DS went to jk this year too, and I was sad, but he loves it. He even wants to go when he is not feeling well.
    I guess that's what we want, for them to be independant, right? Sometimes......LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
    What about it are you having a hard time with? Anything in particular that you'd like to talk about or address?

Do you want to send him? Remember, you do have a choice in the matter; it's your decision to make. JK is optional, as is SK, as is school in general as long as your child is having his educational needs met elsewhere (ie, from Grade 1 onwards).

If this is something that you want to do, and want to do it next year, I'm sure the great mamas here that have gone through it will have some good advice for you. (I don't send our children to school, so I have no been-there, done-that advice in that regard. But I wish you well, whatever you decide.)

I agree with Kathy. I have two DDs who I homeschooled up until this week. They are in grade 1 and grade 3. I enjoyed homeschooling them immensely, but as a single parent it was just too much financially, etc... It was hard to send them to school, but not as hard as it would have been when they were JK or SK age. I just felt that they weren't ready to leave the nest back then. No one was ready for that. Now they have a much better understanding of where they are going and why and they are having fun.

Having said that, I know that based on circumstances and personalities it isn't always feasible to have your children stay home, but as Kathy said, it is an option for you to think about. One day I may homeschool again, particularly my oldest daughter, who does miss being at home even though she has fun at school.

It is always hard to see our kids move on and I have always found I have had to adjust. But I do enjoy the time to myself, the time to get my work done so that I can soak them up when they get home. Whatever you decide, just remember what is important to you and to your LO. Keeping him home for another year won't hurt if it's the right thing for him and for you
    Mom of two fabulous girls, '02 & '04.

Focus on the special one-on-one time you will have your other child..I noticed you have a toddler

Thanks for all the advice! Anything helps!!

Expert Forum User

I think for the most part it is harder on the parents than the LO going to school. You do still have a choice to send or not to send. But if your LO is ready to go then push forward. Just don't turn on the water works until your lil one is in the doors.