Ana
    Expert Forum User

Expert Forum User

Completely agree with the article that we shouldn't “cling to the past“.

I think the digital technologies are one avenue of making the change but really think the key is what it gets to which is critical thinking and the ability and requirement to delve beyond what one textbook or teacher delivers.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I don't see why it's necessary or preferable to have laptops in the classroom.
    I also don't understand why my 5 year old is being taught in kindergarten how to use a computer.

And I don't get the comparison with other countries either. I think there are a lot more important things our country could be working on (poverty, mental health etc) instead of worrying about how our math and science scores rank in comparison to Asian nations.

I do agree that the teacher at the front of the classroom dictating things to the students isn't the best kind of education, but while the alternative needs to be more interactive, it doesn't necessarily need to involve techonology to do so.
    Last edited by Thistle; 01-02-2011 at 06:17 PM.

Ana
    Expert Forum User

I really like the idea of education becoming more individualized.

I agree with you about critical thinking being the key, but I think that will be much harder to change as schools rely heavily on hieracrhy and would be reluctant to modify that. My experience is that encouraging critical thinking is successful on a small scale, like parent to child, but requires a great deal of trust and guidance that is difficult on a larger scale and impossible in an environment where the top tiers of the hierarchy are unwilling to be challenged.
    Last edited by Ana; 01-02-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Interesting. I think a lot of what the article says is true. Digital technology is important IMO. It is one of the key literacy's for this generation and it opens up innovation and more self directed learning.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Ana
    Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by brown_eyed_girl View Post
    I do agree that the teacher at the front of the classroom dictating things to the students isn't the best kind of education, but while the alternative needs to be more interactive, it doesn't necessarily need to involve techonology to do so.
    Well, having homeschooled through the period of time when the internet has blossomed, I can honestly say it makes life a helluva lot easier. Its way easier to follow a kid's interest in frogs if you can do a quick google to see exactly what the criteria for classification as an amphibian is. Or see actual pictures of frogs to show the differences. The kid can (and does!)delve right into habitat or species variations of climate considerations ad nauseum. I think immediacy has a lot to do with maintaining that interest. My first would have had to wait till weekly library day and look these things up there. She now watches TedTv or Youtube to get lectures from any number of experts on any given topic to augument her classroom experience. Our children are “digital natives“ and holding them back for fear of reliance on technology will leave them behind.
    Last edited by Ana; 01-02-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doulamom View Post
    Interesting. I think a lot of what the article says is true. Digital technology is important IMO. It is one of the key literacy's for this generation and it opens up innovation and more self directed learning.
    I agree. But I also think it's important to not overuse it. It's addictive. Not that I would know.

Quote Originally Posted by myrrah View Post
    I agree. But I also think it's important to not overuse it. It's addictive. Not that I would know.
    LOL! I think so too but watching my kids with technology, I am getting less and less worried about that. They really are using it as a tool to facilitate their learning in different ways that make sense to them.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"