Thread: stock pot size

Expert Forum User

Default stock pot size

I went out to buy a stock pot yesterday....to boil a chicken to make soup. THey didn't have the medium size so I ended up buying the large on which is 20 quart/18.9 liter. It's HUGE, way bigger than I think I need. I'm thinking about returning it for one size down, but thought I would ask some advice first, I don't want to return this one for the smaller one to find out that I really did need the huge one!

I would mostly be making soup, but think I may try to make jam and maybe even chili sauce. Would I need a stock pot this big for any of those? I think the next size down is 16 quarts.
    Last edited by momx2; 01-07-2008 at 08:32 AM.

Expert Forum User

well, I tried a pot that I already had in my kitchen, and t worked so I think I'll just take the stock pot back. I'm boiling a chicken to make stock and I really didnt think I had a pot big enough, but it fit the chicken and 2.5 litres of water. I hope that is enough water.

Expert Forum User

I make my own poultry / beef stock and use the really big 20 quart pot.
    I use this pot because I will freeze the left over bones until I have enough - about 4 small chickens or 2 turkeys - to completely fill the pot. After reducing and skimming I will usually have enough stock to last about 6 months (including soups ands gravy).
    I don't need this pot for most of my canning as I will only do smaller batches of salsa or chili sauce.
    I will do the tomato sauce in the large pot because I do so much and will usually put up as many as 100 jars of tomato sauce....

HippieMama

I have a smaller pot (don't know how many quarts off the top of my head), and I find it's good for making soup that will have a bit of left overs, but it's not really big enough to make double recipes of most things. I'd like to get a bigger pot, for that kind of usage, but I wouldn't pick it over the little pot necessarily.