Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tanzania - SCHOOL SUPPLIES NEEDED - ACCEPTING DONATIONS NOW

Happymommy sister (Heather) is volunteering her time to help some schools in Kilimanjaro, Tanzania. These community schools are very poor with limited school supplies for the children. A few of us have decided to send a care package of supplies needed. If you are interested in joining this needy cause, please post. Details of items needed and quantity will be posted. Thank you.

See the thread "From the land of Tanzania ..." for more info.

Like I said i am in! Maybe we should start a list of things that we think they would need...( I am trying to think of things that will not weigh much!)
    Pencils
    erasers
    pens
    rulers
    crayons
    pencil crayons
    scissors
    glue sticks
    any other ideas ?

I don't know but if you find me can you send me home???

Crayons aren't a good idea because they melt in the heat, but if you don't have pencil crayons, they are good.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

what about paper to write on??
    Tiffany
    Mom to Ben, Jonathan and Zachary

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

Great idea guys! I'm definetely in, just let me know the drop-off location and I'll drop some things off. Also let us know about the shipping costs... I know nazcat was saying something in the other thread about trying to get it free, so let us know how everything goes! I'm prettty sure we could each pitch in a few dollars for shipping if needed.

Expert Forum User

Default supplies

I can help here, I have tons of stuff left over from when I went school shopping in the states last July. I have crayons, pencil crayons, markers (big and small), 10 pack of binded paper (with the little metal coil), I have a few packs of these in all different colors, and lot of glue and erasers. Let me know, as I get this stuff for all under $0.50 each at the Target in Port Huron. I am willing to pay for some shipping also.

Wind,Sand&Stars

count me in

my4sons

Me Too
    i'm in

I think I'm going to hit a Dollar store and see if I can come up with any more ideas for supplies. Notebooks would be a good idea.

Do we know how many kids they have at the school???

I wonder if we'd be able to find little pencil cases, or pencil boxes. It would be super cute if we could make up little school supply kits and put pencils, erasers, etc into each little pencil case.

Default supplies

Below is the response from Heather in Tanzania about what supplies are needed at the school.

Hi Lisa,

Here is the address of the school:

Kilima Hewa School
    P.O. Box 7806
    Moshi - Tanzania

They would so appreciate supplies! They need the most basic of things: pencils, crayons, construction paper, pencil sharpeners (that work!), workbooks. When we did art today, we had to cut the paper in half to make sure everyone got a small piece. I will try to buy some more in town today.....

They could also use things to teach the kids basic colors and shapes. My feeling is they are spending too much time teaching numbers to kids that are too young and should be doing more art and fun/educational things because most of the kids are pretty young (between 3 & 7 yrs old).

Anyways, anything at all would be appreciated. I intend to send some supplies when I get home as well. Also, sending to the school directle ensures that they will not be charged taxes on them.

Hope you are well,
    Heather

I read in Heather's Blog that there are eighty (80) 3 to 7 yr. old's in her school.

Default supplies

With regards to shapes and colors, we could send different colors of felt for them to make a felt board.

I've seen flash cards too at dollar stores with pooh bear and othe charaters. I will have to check again. We need a drop off spot and a date to when we will have a deadline for.

Default Sign-up Supply List

Please PM me if you would like to sign-up and donate the following; I will post your names beside each item and donation quantity.

Need 5x80=400 of;
    Lead Pencils - 148

Need 80 minimum of;
    Pencil sharpener's - 20
    Notebooks (wipe-off kind with wipe-off markers)
    Erasers - 24

Other item's needed;
    Construction Paper - have 100 pcs. and 80pks or $100
    Child friendly scissors - have 7
    Glue Sticks - have 8
    Colored Pencils - have 1pk of 26
    Crayola Crayons
    Markers

For Teachers;
    Chalk - ?
    Flash Cards (numbers, shapes, alphabet) - 2 sets of colour/shapes
    Felt Pieces - different Colors

We are sending them to a school that is teaching 3 to 7yr. old's, numbers, letters, shapes and colors.

Please keep in mind when buying items, that their culture is very different from ours and very basic. Cartoon characters, designer labels etc. mean nothing to them. To read more of the school and country see http://tanzaniantravels.blogspot.com/ To give you an idea ...The children that attend this school are very poor. If they have windows or a cement floor they are considered too wealthy and are not allowed to attend.

At the moment, we are looking into shipping costs and drop-off locations.
    I live in North London (Fanshawe/Richmond) and would be happy to accept donations. Would anyone in Mid-London and South London like to accept donation's?

If anyone is going to Costco or Sam's Club this week, could they jot down if they have any of these supplies and the cost? i checked out Costco North today and they didn't have much.

A special thank you for those who have already expressed that they are willing to help.

Can I just add, Please do not get the crayons at the dollar store unless they are crayola or similar, The ones at the $ store usually are horrible. They sell crayola ones at wal mart for 89 cents I think. I was thinking too would they need chalk for the teacher?

Expert Forum User

Default third world

I will stop by my husband's place and grab my target bags with all my school supplies in it, and let you know what I can donate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast