Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default best place to buy fabric?

I received a sewing machine for Christmas, I'm very excited about learning to use it. I'm wondering where the best/cheapest place to buy fabrics? I know you can become a member at fabric land, does it cost any money? Does it save you a lot of money? Is there anywhere else to buy fabric?

The best and the cheapest are two totally different things. :P

Fabricland is ok. They have lots of crap, and most of it is crap. A fabricland membership costs $20 for a year - but it's a year from Aug - Aug, so they will probably have half price memberships now. It can save you money if you buy a lot of fabric, sure.

The best place to buy fabric is yahoo co-op groups. The fabric is half retail (though you have to pay shipping, and wait often times months for it) and much better quality than what Fabricland stores. I no longer buy fabric from stores unless I need something immediately.

Expert Forum User

Fabricland has some great sales, watch your fliers. Lens Mills is another option. It's a junky warehouse but they have stuff you can't find anywhere else. They also have sales if you watch their website.

If you don't mind travelling in Hamilton there is a street with several mostly independent stores. I can't remember the name of it now. My seamstress sent me there looking for fabric for my wedding.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Spots View Post

If you don't mind travelling in Hamilton there is a street with several mostly independent stores. I can't remember the name of it now. My seamstress sent me there looking for fabric for my wedding.
    Ottawa St.! My mom gets all her drapery and upholstery fabric there. I hear it is amazing there.
    There are also quilting stores in London if you are making quilts.
    http://lifewithbecks.blogspot.com/

pm me for details about Little Diva Spa Parties

I know Lens Mills has tons of fabric there as well, I'm not sure how it compares price wise, but there is a lot of selection!!

Expert Forum User

I have found Lens Mill Store to be comparable to co-ops.
    For a beginner sewer it's also nice to be able to "feel" the different fabrics until you get used to all the different blends and how heavy / light each are. Also the staff at Lens Mills have fairly good knowledge and you can ask lots of questions.
    I have also found that they have the best selection of threads, tapes and all the accessories....

I do think the store I go to is dirty and has a funny smell to it.
    They also carry a large selection of junk and seconds (towels, sheets, etc), so I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than sewing supplies....

As an aside - does anyone know where I would be able to get a rubber ring for my machine?
    My sewing machine has a rubber ring where you wind the bobbins that has stretched out and will no longer wind bobbins - I've called around but have had no luck in finding a replacement for a 1960's machine.....

Expert Forum User

Shoot, I don't get any fliers. If someone sees flannel on sale can you please PM me.

I will definitely check out Lens Mills. I also joined a canadian fabric co-op on yahoo so I will be able to price them all out. Thanks girls

Expert Forum User

Fabricland's big Buy 1M get 2M free sale starts today!

Ew. We have a Lens Mills here (it's actually the closest "fabric" store to me) and I hate it. It's nasty and hard to find anything in there. I also can't manouvre a stroller in there for the life of me, because there is too much crap everywhere. Once, my middle kid had to use the bathroom, and I couldn't get to the customer washroom because they had racks upon racks stacked up in front of the door. After I ranted and raved for awhile, they allowed me to use the employee bathroom that was so nasty my 3 year old didn't even want to use it. Blech.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by mom2lucas&sophie View Post
    Fabricland's big Buy 1M get 2M free sale starts today!
    Do you need a membership to get this deal?

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by momx2 View Post
    Do you need a membership to get this deal?
    No you don't, but I know the members are having a different sale near the end of the month.

Here is a link to the web flyer
    http://www.fabricland.ca/sale_b1g2.html

Quote Originally Posted by PikaJen View Post
    Ew. We have a Lens Mills here (it's actually the closest "fabric" store to me) and I hate it. It's nasty and hard to find anything in there. I also can't manouvre a stroller in there for the life of me, because there is too much crap everywhere. Once, my middle kid had to use the bathroom, and I couldn't get to the customer washroom because they had racks upon racks stacked up in front of the door. After I ranted and raved for awhile, they allowed me to use the employee bathroom that was so nasty my 3 year old didn't even want to use it. Blech.
    the worst part of the london store is the baby cage... a nasty small fenced in (like 9 foot high fences) cube with a playhouse and a plastic picnic table. Mounds of nasty broken toys... unswept floor... and a latch on the outside of the cage. Somehow I doubt those who use the baby cage stay in close attendance... yuck..
    Heather.

Push button. Receive bacon.

Expert Forum User

Thankyou for the link. Is fleece the same as flannel? I didn't know it was so expensive!

If I do ever go to Len's Mills, I thinl I'll leave the kids at home.....eeewwwwww

Ew yuck. I had never been to the Lens Mills in London. Waterloo is lacking a baby cage.

Expert Forum User

I agree about the baby cage at Londons Lens Mill - absolutly horrid....
    In fact the general theme of the store seems to be mess......
    I never take the kids with me there and I only purchase items where they can be throurally washed before use....
    I do a lot of sewing and it is hands down the cheapest place in London to purchase fabric.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast