Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Twins in the same room?

I was wondering what the majority of you do, when you bring your twins home. Do you put them in the same room? If so, do you separate them at a certain age? I guess I am wondering if they will wake each other up in the night if they are in the same room. Should I go to the one that is crying right away or do you wait a minute or two to see if they will go back to sleep.
    Last edited by Mojo3; 03-10-2011 at 07:02 PM.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Congrats!! I have no experience with twins but I think if it were me I'd have them together in the same crib for awhile, probably until they start moving around a lot.
    How far along are you??

“life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away“

Banned

CONGRATS!

Thanks...Just a bunch of stuff is all ready running through my mind on how I am going to do things.
    Last edited by Mojo3; 03-10-2011 at 07:01 PM.

Banned

Both of my brothers have twins and they both decided to keep the twins in the same room until they were older. My Niece and Nephew, shared a room until they were 7 and my nephews will likely share a room indefinitely.

The girl/boy twins actually shared a crib for the first 6 months. The boy/boy twins were always in seperate cribs

Good luck From what I have witnessed with the 2 sets of twins, is that the first year is the hardest, after that it seems like they become more seperate and less dependant on Mom

Congrats!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Congrats!

My friend and my cousin both have twins. I know that the doc recommended to both of them that the babies should sleep togther as long as possible, in the same crib even. My friends two shared a crib for about 5-6 months. Then moved to seperate cribs in the same room until they were just over a year. At that point one was keeping the other awake at nap time so they seperated them.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

We kept our twins (boy/girl) in the same crib for a bit. They were too restless so we separated them. They then slept in the same room for over a year. Then we moved our older DD in with younger DD twin and DS twin got his own room.

At night time - I always tended to them, especially when they were young. When one would cry inevitably the other would wake up crying so I liked to get a jump start on getting the one back down before the other woke up.

It's hard. i'm not going to lie. I breast fed both twins for 17 months so I was basically the only one to get up in the night. It was stressful trying not to wake the other one up. People often said they would get used to each other and not wake the other up - which is true some of the time - but there's no guarantee.

Good luck. I did much the same as you - as soon as I found out I was pregnant with twins I tried to figure out how logistically it would all work out. That's something you won't ever stop doing LOL.

I hope you have a healthy pregnancy!

Junior Member doubletroublemoms's Avatar

Congrats!!

My twins shared the same bassinette up until about 3 months...then they shared the same crib until about 6 months...then they were put in separate cribs, but the same bedroom up until 3 yrs old....last year when we moved to a new house and we decided they could get their own room. It's working out so far (in separate rooms) but if they showed signs of separation anxiety, they'd be put back in the same rooms.

They say that they're the best roommates. They shared a womb for 9 months (or so) so why not sharing a crib/room? At least in the first year, being close I think helps comfort each other.

It's really personal preference though. Good luck in whatever you choose!

Expert Forum User

Our twins shared a bedroom for the first 10 months. They each had their own crib, they were two restless at night to put them in the same crib.

Keeping them in the same room made it easier for night feeding. I fed both babies at the same time, so if one woke up, I would wake the other up. This is the only way I made it through the first 3 months.

At 10 months we separated them because DD was sleeping through the night and DS was not so it made it easier to separate them.

Congrats on your twin pregnancy, it truly is a double blesssing and an amazing experience. Get and ask for all the help that you can, it will make it much easier if you can.

Our twins slept in our room in a pack and play for the first few months, then shared a crib in their own room. At around six months or so we split them into their own cribs, same room. They still share a room now at age four, but when they express a need, we'll consider splitting them up.

Good luck. Come find us at the LMBA.

Banned

Our girls slept in the same crib for a few months, then in their own crib but always in the same room. I had hoped that once we got our own home that they would share a double bed in the same room but since cancer was diagnosed in one of our girls we are keeping our DD in treatment in a crib right beside our bed until she's out of treatment and we feel that she's strong enough to go back in her sister's room. All 7 of the girls in my mom's family slept 2 to a bed (except the last) without any twins among them...just a nice feeling of companionship and comfort. Both DH and I come from really big families and feel that being close is better for children.

Congratulations on your expecting twins!! Have a healthy pregnancy and safe delivery.

Congratulations! It is an amazing experience, but not going to lie either the first year was challenging for sure, still not sure how I did it LOL. But don't worry you will too.
    Our girls had their own cribs in the same room since we brought them home. They still share a room now at almost 3 years. I have no plans to change that, however, if and when they express interest in their own rooms we will explore that option. There are times where one will keep the other up but not often so I don't worry. When they were infants they never woke each other though.
    Good Luck! You are doubly blessed! The wonderful far outweighs the hardship of it, truly. Try not to stress over it, you will manage just fine one day at a time.

My girls shared the crib for at least the first 6 months...only when they started rolling over and moving about did I put them in sep cribs, but the cribs were end to end so they could still see each other. They are 5 now, and still in the same room. i sep them for a year when they were 3 because I found they were keeping each other up at night, but now they are back in the same room and loving it! I remember finding out at about 10wks that I was pregnant with twins and it was pretty overwhelming. Good luck with everything

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar

Congratulations!!! I'm so jealous! I want twins.

Expert Forum User

Congrats! I am a twin, my parents had us in the same room in seperate cribs at first but my Mom said that around 15 months old she went into the nursery one morning and found me in my sister's crib so they moved us into beds with rails and we would just crawl into bed together anyways. My sister and I shared a bed until we were nearly 14! We had our own rooms after we were 10 but it was a while before we used them!
    I can see your concerns though, my 7 month old is a light sleeper and just me and DH whispering to eachother at night can wake her up. Maybe your twins will be able to tune eachother out?

[/url]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast