Expert Forum User

Default Translation please?

My netbook has been running slow, and I think I've figured out that there are too many programs running automatically at start up (on the monitor thingy I have 2-4 RAM available, maximum, at any time).

Anyway, I read about turning off programs that run on start up to free up RAM and make it faster, but it also says not to turn off anything if you're not sure what it is, which is fair enough, but I have no idea what any of them are. Except the driver for the mouse pad, which I guess would be useful to keep

Is there anywhere that has some sort of list or something where I can type in the name and it tell me what it actually is?

TIA
    Mummy to two wonderful miracle boys

Default How to fix the issue of a slow computer

Dashenka, there are a number of issues can slow down a once fast PC. So if you want to speed up your system as much as you can I would look at more than just the autoloading programs. I named some of the most common below. And remember, when it comes to upgrading your hardware, adding RAM is relatively cheap and usually very effective.

I also posted an article on my site concerning a computer booting slowly, which I put up just for you. PC booting slowly? Cleaning your autoloader.

Here are sone of the possible issues:

Issue #1: An overloaded and fragmented hard drive. If your drive is too full (more than about 80 percent), or too fragmented (the two often go together), it could be slowing down your PC, especially if you don't have much RAM.
    Solution #1: Defragging is the easiest solution, so you should try that first. To defrag in XP, select Start, then My Computer. Right-click your C: drive and select Properties. Click the Tools tab, then Defragment Now. Vista defrags automatically--or at least it does so in theory. (Note the distrustful tone?). Or you can go with a third-party defragger. I suggest the free MyDefrag.

If your drive is getting full and defragging doesn't help, you may have to make hard decisions about what you can delete or off-load to an external drive. Or you could replace the drive with a larger one.

Issue And Solution#2: Avoid new programs. As hardware gets faster, software gets slower. So if you keep buying the latest office suite or photo editor, performance will suffer.

Watch your security software. You can avoid upgrading Office and Photoshop, but you have to keep your security software up to date or you risk infection. Major security suites like Norton and McAfee use a lot of resources, and keep using more with each major upgrade. They can seriously slow down an older PC. Consider switching to smaller, sleeker (and often free) alternatives.

Issue and solution #3: Reduce the autoloaders. Your security programs probably aren't the only ones that load automatically each time you boot and stay in memory, although they may be the only ones that should. Any number of programs you've installed may have inserted a piece of themselves into Windows' Startup list, and could thus be slowing you down.

Issue #4: Virus
    Solution #4: Update or get Antivirus
    Last edited by TylerL; 12-21-2010 at 10:16 PM.
    Tyler Logtenberg
    Network and Internet Marketing Consultant
    Claris Technologies

Ask the Tech Expert
    http://forum.londonmoms.ca/ask-technology-expert/