Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default talk washing machines to me! :D

So, before we picked up the washing machine from Freecycle this afternoon, DH's dad said he's lend us the money to buy a BRAND NEW washing machine (WAHOO!), I don't want a front loader, or the high efficency type that uses less water ( Bad, I know, but from what I've heard, they suck! lol)

I want a plain jane top loader, thats reasonably priced. ( Obviously that's going to last us at least a few years as well! And that can hold a decent load of laundry!)

Where did you buy you washing machine?
    Don't need a set, just the washer. Our dryer works great! lol

Thanks ladies!
    Last edited by Leigh; 01-03-2008 at 05:17 PM. Reason: typo

Expert Forum User

within walking distance of downtown but a good part

my parents have a front load washer and i love it so do they , you can put more in the washer and there is no agitator to tear your clothers before they got a new one the washers we used kept tearing holes in our shirts .. i would go with home depot or rona cause you can see what you are getting

I sell AVON I sell SCENTSY JOIN THE PARTY!

girlsmum

Talking

Wow Leigh, I'm so happy for you that you'll have the opportunity to buy a new washer!! I have a front loader myself and it's worked really nicely, especially after I had someone come in and check my washer out and gave me an education on proper use of front loaders and have had no problems since.

Point is..........I have a Frigidaire, and if a top loader Frigidaire should work as well in a nice dual action model, you should have years of a good product.

To AVOID: Kenmore appliances as I believe a few people can attest to........................

Oh and we got our machine from DOUG at Bad Boy!! Super nice guy and if you can find a unit that has the green star?? on it meaning energy efficient?,(can't remember exactly what the symbol is), you don't have to pay the PST.
    Last edited by girlsmum; 01-03-2008 at 05:21 PM.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Love my front loader!!!! So I can't help you out with the plain jane kind!! Although there is a top loading one that works like the front loading I can't remember what it is called it does use less water and you can put in TONNES of clothes. We got our washer at London Major.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Maybe Im just afraid of change, but I don't want a front loader.. plus I don't want to spend a fortune, since this isn't our money and we do have to pay it back! LOL

Okay.. so apparently now we're getting a complete brand new set. . . lol *shakes head* Any other suggestions???

Going to pick up the $$ tomorrow from my FIL, and hoping to purchase one tomorrow!

We got a great deal at Mudges. We just bought it about 2 mths ago. Its Whirlpool. I have only had Whrilpool and I love them, never had an issue. We went into Mudges told they guy what we wanted and how much we wanted to spend and bam, he showed us the set that we bought. We got it deliverd and set up for free. It comes with a 1 year warranty. Great people to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by mavensmummy View Post
    We got a great deal at Mudges. We just bought it about 2 mths ago. Its Whirlpool. I have only had Whrilpool and I love them, never had an issue. We went into Mudges told they guy what we wanted and how much we wanted to spend and bam, he showed us the set that we bought. We got it deliverd and set up for free. It comes with a 1 year warranty. Great people to deal with.
    New or used?

I'd like to purchase a brand new set!

Sorry brand new. Its not fancy at all just enough bells and whistle to make our clothes clean. I only wash in cold and hang most of my stuff too dry. We paid 700.00 for everything. I hope this helps anymore questions jsut ask. I love Mudges and they even do the servicing if something goes wrong.

Great ! Thanks so much!!!

We are looking at spending about the same!

ok. well. I have spent a fair amount of time looking into this.

If your dryer isn't broken, I'd leave it alone. New dryers are basically no more efficiant/better made than old ones and unless they stack, it is much easier to just leave it alone. Dryers last MUCH longer than washers.

Places I would go: London Major appliances or The place in Hyde Park (help me out here people? Country boy?).... I have had good service from these places and heard excellent things.

You can go to places like the brick or teppermans online- look up model numbers then get reviews on epinions...

make sure that the door reverses or can go the way you need it to. And then I would mostly shop for the size personally... I wanted as big capacity as possible. Mine is 3.5 cubic feet and I can do a king sized comforter or about 16 bath towels. trust me, I need to be able to do as much as possible at once!

yeah I'd agree with you about the front loader... I love my front loader in a few ways but what a pain dealing with all the issues and I have heard you really have to go mid or high end to get something decent with HE machines.
    Heather.

Push button. Receive bacon.

We bought Maytag - Neptune - top of the line, with touch screen and everything, very fancy (more than i or anyone else needs). I feel we paid way too much, but i have been very happy with it so far (2 1/2 years). Can't remember the exact price, as we also bought a fridge and stove as well, but i think the washer and dryer were over $2000 easily. So these better last me awhile!

Well, we were kinda of in a pinch this morning trying to find someplace that had something a) in our price range b) something we liked and c) (and the biggie) that could deliver this weekend.

But WE FOUND A WASHER AND DRYER !!! And Im SOOOOO excited. We ended up spending a little more than originally planned, but it we didn't want the bottom of the barrel, cheapy set.

We purchased our set from Mudges, and they even dropped the delivery charge to keep the sale as it would have pushed us over our budget. They were ABSOLUTELY fantastic!!! The pulled a chair out for our eldest, and sat him in front of a fridge that had a TV!!! Put Cartoons on, and we got a great Whirlpool set

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited!
    Thanks for all the recommendations, we checked out it seems like every place on Wharncliff ( Badboys- which btw, I wouldn't recommend to anyone!), The Brick, Leon's, etc etc.

Thanks again ladies!!!

I can't wait to start catching up on my laundry tomorrow with the new set!

Banned

Congratulations Leigh!

But isn't it a sad statement when it's come to this:

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    I can't wait to start catching up on my laundry tomorrow with the new set!

Quote Originally Posted by mum_of_four View Post
    Congratulations Leigh!

But isn't it a sad statement when it's come to this:

Lol I know !!!