Thread: Family Tree

Expert Forum User

Default Family Tree

I tried to start a thread for this a while back and it flopped like a fresh-caught flounder, but I thought I'd start one again b/c I just got a new Family Tree program so I'm trying to get back into it.
    Anyone else interested in this stuff??
    I found out today that my great-grandfather was a big part of starting up a Finnish theatre group in Northern Ontario, which I am excited to pass along to my neice who is majoring in theatre and music!
    Finnish genealogy is hard to research b/c the men used to change their last names when they left home.
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

Banned

I did a bit of this when I was in high school, then I kind of dropped it, but my uncle in England has one side of our family WAY BACK, to about 1066 or something! On one side we are part of a Scottish clan and their history is well-recorded.

Interesting things about my family:
    one of my relatives was actually at the wheel of the Titanic when it went down (he was not the Captain, the Captain wasn't at the wheel when it sank, or at least that is my understanding)

somewhere along the way we are related to Walt Disney

I'm sure there's a couple of other things too, I haven't heard anything for a while now.

Expert Forum User

I am really not into it, but my brother is HUGE into it!! Here is his website of our family. Maybe I am related to some of you! LOL

http://www.familytreeproject.ca/
    Laura
    Mom to Haley (7) and Paige (5)

If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.
    ~Lewis Hine~

Expert Forum User

Thanks Laura. I browsed his list of names and didn't see any connections. I like his set-up, especially the photo page (I have a thing for old photos).
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

girlsmum

A mormon relation, very distant did a geneological study of my mother's side of the family did a study on our family dating back to about 866 AD when we were in successive lines to the french throne, then known as the Franks. Back then they were just titled Robert le Fort(the strong) and Huge le Gros(the fat), and then came the so-and-so from the House of.........., but in the 1650's when a commanding soldier traveled to Canada to *still the savages* as my book quotes they dropped the OF in their name.

A fun little anecdote that I have royalty in my background, although there really is no more french monarchy now is there, so really it's only a historical fairy tale now. I'm told I possess some of the fierce characteristics of some of my great's.............people who are long gone so I guess I'll have to take their word for it?

Very interesting piece Alison on one of your relatives being at the helm of the Titanic, and no Capt.John Smith was rarely at the helm, he was often found in his quarters receiving updates from his crew. I watched many documentaries in the late 90's when the blockbuster came out, he did go down with his ship having parted ways with Bruce Ismay who both decided to run that ship way too fast, Ismay lived while Smith died. I'm assuming that by your wording that your relation was not among the surviving crew members.

Banned

Here is my relative - he went down with it.

William McMaster Murdoch

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    See also William Murdoch (disambiguation). William McMaster Murdoch
    Born February 28, 1873(1873-02-28)
    Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland Died April 15, 1912 (aged 39)
    Atlantic Ocean
    Occupation Ship's First Officer Spouse Ada Florence Murdoch (nee Banks) Parents Samuel Murdoch
    Jane Muirhead Lieutenant William McMaster Murdoch RNR (February 28, 1873 - April 15, 1912) was a Scottish sailor who lost his life on board RMS Titanic where he was employed by the White Star Line, serving as First Officer. He is notable as the officer in charge on the bridge the night when the Titanic collided with an iceberg in the Atlantic Ocean, in which roughly 1,500 [1] people lost their lives.

DP has traced back several generations in his family, and a lot of his information came from www.ancestry.com

I've always had a passion for genealogy, but it's been near impossible getting information from my dad's side (perhaps because he lost his parents when relatively young?). I had lots of information from my mothers side (via my maternal grandma), but I misplaced it somewhere along the way :/ I really should rebuild my records.
    Mama to two
    Etsy store: Merry Medley

Expert Forum User

Very interesting, Alison! I somehow missed your first post. Siana, thanks for reminding me! With my new software I am supposed to get one month free on ancestry.com but haven't been able to get it work, and ofcourse over the holidays there was no help on the help line! So I should go try that now. I will have to find my notes, b/c I am pretty sure one of my relatives was on the ship that helped rescue the Titanic survivors!

FYI, my husband's family has both French (Heugenot) and Scottish Clan (McLaren) history, his mother has a link to Picton Castle in England (yes, we tease her about Robert Picton ) and he's related to a Prime Minister of Newfoundland from before they joined Confederation. My family history is poverty-stricken English and Finnish...no royalty yet! lol
    Last edited by Liisa; 01-02-2008 at 03:44 PM.

Expert Forum User

I think ancestry.com sucks. I have a "Canadian Deluxe Membership" which seems to give me diddly-squat! I found one relative's death record, which was good I guess, but my membership seems to only be good for Canadian Documents, and even then it seems to be spotty. I can't even seem to find my grandmother's landing in Halifax which I know should be there. Anyone know any other ones, not linked to ancestry.com?

Expert Forum User

I love family history I find it so interesting. Here is the website for my family... Jubinville, Jubenville, Jubainville, Jubenvill or may variations of.. plus more...

My maiden names stands for Village of Juben... in France along the German border.. and on my moms side.. French again... Desjardins....

My husband's familly tree is so hard to figure out.... Smith and Brown.. UGH!
    ~ Annie ~
    Mom to 4 (B24, G23, G19, G9)

My Blog: It's just my life...
    Follow me on Twitter: @anniecannie

Quote Originally Posted by Liisa View Post
    I think ancestry.com sucks.
    Hmmm, I remember DP digging through records from Scotland, Ireland etc. when he used it...
    Mama to two

Expert Forum User

It seems to depend upon you membership...I just have a Canadian Deluxe membership trial thing, but I feel they should have left out the "deluxe" part.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    My husband's family tree is so hard to figure out.... Smith and Brown.. UGH!
    Oh I know! Searching common names is a pain! One of dh's family names is Winter, but if you do a search on that name (even on genealogy pages) you get all sorts of things, even people who were born or died in the winter! And it seems there is a community for the elderly in Florida called Winter, so there are thousands of them! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Liisa View Post
    It seems to depend upon you membership...I just have a Canadian Deluxe membership trial thing, but I feel they should have left out the "deluxe" part.
    I don't think DP had a paid membership with them, but off an on they would allow a peak in to the documents they had up (to convince people to buy a membership that allowed full access to those documents). DP would stay up all night and go through the documents until the free viewing time was up. Since I wasn't the one doing all this though, I might be getting the details a bit mixed up/wrong, but at least this is what I remember of it!
    Mama to two