Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Default What do you do XMas Eve?

I'm switching up the routine from the last 31 years. Wondering what you all do? So I can steal any good ideas....
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Well, most years we go to church, either the 4pm childrens' service or 7pm family service. This year we probably won't though as we have taken a break from church.

We go sledding during the day, we bake cookies (usually choc chip or gingerbread). We deliver cookies to neighbours. Prepare food. Wrap gifts. Some years we have had brunch with friends.

At bedtime the kids have a quick bath, then into new xmas jammies. They sprinkle the reindeer dust and leave out carrots and cookies and milk and sometimes a note for Santa.

After they are in bed DH and I will wrap any last minute things, put on a fire and a movie or music, have a few drinks.
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

Expert Forum User

We have a stragglers Christmas eve, meaning that anyone who doesn't have anywhere else to go can come over for dinner - a big feast of salmon.

Expert Forum User

we have a lazy meal for dinner, finger foods (taco salad,veggies and dip,sandwiches on buns ext and a bunch of yummy deserts). After dinner if the roads are good we drive around town looking at all the lights and stop at timmies for hot chocolate. When we get home the kids get to open their new jammies and before bed we always read Twas the night before Christmas.

Usually my parents and bros/their girlfriends come over for food lol and help get things ready for morning after the kids go to bed

Expert Forum User

As a child we would go to midnight mass and then go to my grandma's for Reveillon but ever since moving here we haven't been doing it. I tried explaning to DH what reveillon was and he didn't get it. I would love to start up something like that again. I remember looking forward to it every year.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    We have a stragglers Christmas eve, meaning that anyone who doesn't have anywhere else to go can come over for dinner - a big feast of salmon.
    That is a great idea!

We always go to my parent's house on Christmas Eve. The girls get tonnes of gifts from my folks and my sister. Too much if you ask me but we have a great time. Growing up we always did the whole Christmas thing on the 24th and Santa even came to our house early!

My mom usually does a turkey dinner. We go home around 8 or 9 and then my mom and dad pick me up to go to church for their candlelight service at 10:30. The kids should be sound asleep by the time I get back home.
    Lynn, newly employed mom to Evelyn (13), Sophie (10), and Georgia (6)

GIRLS ROCK!!

Expert Forum User

We ususally have a fondue dinner after dd has gone to bed. Not sure if we will be doing that this year or not.
    Shannon

Nothing is Impossible, if you just Believe

Expert Forum User

DD and I typically bake cookies that day. Usually have a fun dinner (appetizers or chinese or something) and watch Christmas movies or play games in the evening. We don't see family too often on Christmas eve and to be honest, I like that DD can go to bed on time as it's such a busy day on Christmas Day
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

When I was a kid we would always have tortiere (sp?) and salad at my grandmother's and have “little tree presents“ which was basically little presents under a little tree, started to keep the kids quiet while the grown ups enjoyed their cocktails before dinner. We did this until my cousins and I were in our twenties...one of my favourite holiday traditions!

Maybe I will resurrect it!

we go to neighbours who have an open house and usually eat enough there to skip dinner! then back home to wrap the rest of the presents and to watch 'It's a Wonderful Life' by the fire
    tough times don't last but tough people do

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Hubby usually works till noon or later, he tries to get as many vehicles out before he's off for a few days. Then we usually go house hopping. His aunts, and a friend or two. It tends to be a LATE night. Although the last couple years things were different and there wasn't as much house hopping. Not sure what is happening this year.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

I work until noon then I come home and sit in anticipation for the arrival of my Mom and Grandma. For dinner we usually just do a bunch of finger foods and hot hor'deuvers (sp). My MOm's best friend and hubby usually .come over f0or some drinks along with DH's best friend. WE always open one present on Christmas Eve too and it's the same thing every year, our christmas pj's!
    I'm

[/B]

Expert Forum User

I will have my family over for Christmas eve and maybe this year we will do fondue (had planned to do that last year but was pregnant and very sick!). My kids will open presents from them.

The afternoon of christmas eve we set up the lumineres. Our whole neighbourhood lines their side walk and the paths up to their house with them. Around 6 the church bells play carols for about 10 min which is beautiful to listen to. We don't really do anything special for dinner that night but after dark we will go for a walk around the neighbourhood and listen to the christmas music and look at all the lumineres. Its really pretty. Then, we go to my aunts for an hour or two for drinks and snacks. Finally home for christmas PJs and a christmas story...then bed.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

nothing really in the past. nice quiet dinner.. set up the presents.. while drinking a little something.. go to bed around 12.. but this year..not sure. we'd really like to keep it as quiet as possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast