Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Next step in car seats

DD is going to outgrow her infant car seat soon and i was just wondering if anyone has any advice on which car seat to look at next. any ideas on brands, prices etc would be greatly welcomed! Thanks in advance!

I am in the same position. The Britax Marathon was the one recommended to me. Anyone have one?

Expert Forum User

Natalie still has a long way to go to outgrow her infant seat, but I've still been keeping an eye out for a good deal/recommendations. She has a safeseat now (up to 32"/30lbs) and is currently only 24.5"/15lbs so she's got a long way to go to outgrow it. I think we're in it for the long haul now since we JUST bought her a 2nd car seat base for the van. It's just becoming a PITA to carry the seat and her for any great distance.

I know my sister-in-law loves her Eddie Bauer, though it is definitely on the large size. She has had her daughter in it since she outgrew her infant seat at an early age, her DD was always quite high if not off the charts for length/weight. They do seem to take up a lot of space in the rear facing position so that may be a problem in a small vehicle.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I think a lot of convertible car seats take up a lot of room in cars! We have a Eddie Bauer 3-in-1 (from Sears, there are a bunch of different models!) and quite like it. We never had an infant car seat and used it from day one with our little one. It is a squish in our Pontiac Pursuit. However, in terms of space, I've heard of people with tonnes of different sized cars complain about the space issue because carseats are sooo huge these days.

Britax carseats seem to be really popular and highly rated.

Peek'a Boo

I've heard good things about Britax, but they're $$$.

We have an Evenflo one that goes harnessed to 47 (48?) lbs and then converts to a booster. I love it b/c the strap is easy to adjust, compared to our Alpha Omega (I mean the one you use daily...pita to adjust height, but is doable).

For a booster, the part the seatbelt goes thru is molded to the seat, as opposed to the Graco combos where it's attached to the seat fabric.

I think it ran about $129 at TRU and Sears - price depended on how much padding and extras it had, as there's a couple similar models.

eta: ours is similar to this http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B0011...odeid=16340361
    Last edited by Peek'a Boo; 12-28-2007 at 12:20 AM.

Expert Forum User

Until your child is AT LEAST 1 year of age AND 22 lbs he/she MUST be kept in the rear facing position. RF is the safest for of travel as it protects their spine. The height limits on RF are guidelines only, whereas the weight and age are strict rules. Babies grow at different rates, some are all torso and others are all legs, so the seats will fit them differently. When RF, as their head is at least 1" below the shell of the seat and the straps sit at or below their shoulders, they are safe to remain RF in the current car seat (assuming they are under the weight restriction too).

You will need to buy a convertible car seat that allows your growing child to remain RF until he/she meets the requirements above.

BTW my 2 y/o is STILL rear facing and will remain RF until he outgrows his seat by weight (30 lbs) or height (as described above). I do not expect him to be FF until around 2.5 y/o. His safety is the most important aspect.

I will bump a few of the older threads where I have replied to similar questions to this quite extensively tomorrow. I will try to remember to link the threads to this thread tomorrow (it's late now) as well.

MM
    Last edited by MilkyMama; 12-28-2007 at 01:26 AM.
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

My son outgrew his infant car seat around 4 months and we (after much consideration) got the Britax marathon.
    I would definitely suggest getting a 2-in-1 nd NOT a 3-in-1 because she is still very young and the 3-in-1 carseats are too upright for babies that young (their muscles in the back are not good enough yet).
    I would also suggest going to the baby's furniture gallery (now on Wharncliffe south next too BadBoy) because they are a lot more knowledgable than people at ToysRus and can go over the different features with you.
    When we asked for advice at ToysRUs the girl said (Quote) "They are all the same, it just depends on how much you want to spend"

Another thing to consider: If you want to use the universal anchorage system to attach the seat, the seat CANNOT go in the middle in most cars as the matching latches on both sides are connected by a bar for stability and you cannot use one from each side as it makes things VERY unstable in case of an accident.

Here's what I like about the Britax:

- It has more slots than most other seats meaning that you can adjust the height better
    - The weight and height limit is higher than for most other seats
    - The padding is comfy but not too excessive (some other seats seem a lot softer which means that they are less safe as all the padding will compress in case of an accident and make more room for the child to be ejected for the seat

here's what I don't like about it

- it's huge (but that holds for most seats) Still we are able to fit it in our relatively small car behind the passenger seat

- it's pretty pricey

Overall I'm very happy we got this seat because I really thing that it's better quality and thus safer than the others and in the end that's the only thing that matters.

mumtobelle

Both my kids are in a Britax Marathon. I wouldn't buy anything else after research and comparison. Yes, they are pricey but well worth it.

Ali is in a Britax Marathon. We have a Pontiac Vibe, so not a huge car, and it fits in the back rear facing and forward facing with room for an adult either side - not much room, but room none the less
    It's a great car seat and well worth the money, IMO. As floretta suggested, go and look at the children's furniture gallery and ask them. The people at TRU really don't have a clue
    Mom to Ali (3) & Eva (1)

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I love my Britax marathon. IT's huge but LOVE IT!!! It was recommended to me by a friend who is taking a car seat certification course. It is what they all recommend. Yes they are not cheap but i dont' think you can put a price on safety.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

Britax Marathon here as well. I will be buying another one when DD outgrows her infant seat. Yes, it's big but I have had it in everything from a Civic to an Oydessy and it has always fit.

Expert Forum User

Britax Marathon is the way to go too! DS out grew his infant carseat at 7 months not for weight but for height. DS absolutely adores it and it is so easy to install, move around, and get your child in and out. I had the carseat first in the middle until just a couple of weeks ago and then DH moved it to behind the passenger side to make room for an infant carseat that will be put in next month. I have a Toyota RAV and Corolla and the carseat has fit in well with both.

Well worth the extra money and I will be buying another one once the new baby outgrows the infant one.
    Granola is a Mum to 2 wonderful boys

I would definitely suggest getting a 2-in-1 nd NOT a 3-in-1 because she is still very young and the 3-in-1 carseats are too upright for babies that young (their muscles in the back are not good enough yet).
    thanks a ton for the advice! i was not sure whether to look at 2-in-1s or the 3-in-1s, so that helps a lot. dh and i have taken a good look around in the past week, but he's not sure yet what he'd like to get so we'll have to see. thanks again!!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by floretta View Post
    That's interesting. We have an Eddie Bauer 3-in-1 and it doesn't really look that different from their 2-in-1. But you still have to recline them to the same angle when they're rear facing, no matter the type of carseat though.... Ours is rated from 5lbs and we've used it since she was born and it fitted her at 9lbs (not convinced you could get a good fit on a 5lb baby though!

Whitehills...Two blocks from my childhood home!

I have a 3 in one and Robbie will be in it soon...I suspect after his visit to the DRS on monday he will be out of his infant one ASAP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast