Page 1 of 22 12345611 ... LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Shoppers Optimum Points

Alright so I have had a lot of people ask me how I get so many shoppers points. I've decided I'd make a thread with a few tips. I used to think that Shoppers was a huge waste of money because "everything is cheaper somewhere else". Well over the course of this year I have saved up/used almost $1000 in point redemptions. I have yet to add up how much was spent but we dont make much so it cant be too outrageous.

So the tips:

#1: Go buy a shoppers gift card for what you plan to spend. So if you arer going in to spend $25 then buy a $25 gift card. Show your card. Some well meaning (and uneducated) cashiers will attempt to inform you that you do not get points for gift cards. They are wrong. You do not get points for other stores' gift cards (IE TRU, itunes). You DO for shoppers ones. Tell them to humor you, swipe it anyways. Afterall you wont get points if the product isnt elidgeable. If you arent the conforntational type buy a pack of gum or something else cheap and they wont question it.

#2: ALWAYS buy you milk and eggs from shoppers. It is actually cheaper than the grocery store ($3.99 compared to $4.19 for 2% milk). If you buy 2 bags/ week and use the gift card trick then the milk alone will get you almost 8000 points a year. Then on top of that if you buy it on 20x the points days etc it will be more.

#3: Sign up for emails - there are often bonus points in there.

#4: Always shop on 20x the point days. Generally speaking I can get 40-50% of a products price back on those days in points. Example - I spent $100 at shoppers on Sat but the point value I recieved is worth $110.

#5: Only redeem on bonus redemption days. Instead of 95,000 points being worth $175 it is worth $200. And on MEGA bonus redemption days it is woth $250.

#6: Do the math. If a product is slightly more expensive at Shoppers it may still be worth it to buy it there. Example: $20 spent at shoppers on 20x the points days = 4200 points. 4200/95,000 (the highest point redemption level) and multiplied by $200 (the bonus redemtion value) = $8.84 in points. A couple dollars more right now (if you can afford it) can mean more back later.

#7: Buy bus tickets, lottery ticket, perscriptions at shoppers. You DO NOT get points for them BUT you can pay with a gift card that you got points for. If you have $100 in perscriptions a month that is 1000 points a month.

#8: You get points on coupon value. So if a product is $5 and you use a $2 coupon then you get points on the $5 the product was, not the $3 you paid. Especially handy on 20x the point days.

That is all I can think of right now. Questions?
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

Expert Forum User

I never thought of the gift card thing - great tip!

Expert Forum User

I just got my first optimum card on Saturday because I've read about you and your tips a few times.

I'm going to keep this all in mind - a new shoppers just opened right by my house.

Jake &Tate

so is there a minimum limit you have to buy a GC to get the points.. for ie. if dh wants to buy $15 in lottery tickets can he buy a $15 GC and get the points.. or does he have to buy a $25 GC.. hence i would need to buy a few extra things on top of the lottery tickets.. to make up to the $25.. ie. eggs milk butter etc.

You dont have to spend the whole gift card at once. It is electronic so it just takes off what you spend. Gift cards come in $10, $25, $30, $50 and $100 for shoppers. You can buy the any value ones for christmas time but I have heard there are some issues with points on those ones not coming through and people having to call head office to get them manually put on.

Interesting thanks! I honestly never bothered to even think of This!

Expert Forum User

I am going to test this out tonight because my daughter is sitting here turning a blue streak saying ...“You DO NOT get points on a gift card purchase".

Quote Originally Posted by princess2808 View Post
    Some well meaning (and uneducated) ....
    Um... she really takes offense this by the way. Oh, she is on a roll now! Will update later.
    Last edited by Donna; 11-22-2010 at 02:42 PM.

Expert Forum User

thumbs up for Princess - I do the same things, and actually have a shoppers mastercard so get even more points!

It drives me batty when people say that Shoppers is so expensive - I don't buy everything there, and am careful what I DO buy, but I always get amazing deals when you watch for sales on deodorant, shampoo, lots of food items, and as Princess said, I always buy my milk and bread there now as they're very competitive with the other stores.
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

Expert Forum User

Donna, this is from the terms and conditions for shoppers' optimums:

“13. Shoppers Optimum Points will not be issued respecting the purchase of the following items/services: gift cards and prepaid card products (except Shoppers Drug Mart- branded gift cards),“
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

yep, we always buy bread and milk there too.

I always use my card.

Im to impatient and never save the points though. lol

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Mum 2 Alyssa View Post
    Donna, this is from the terms and conditions for shoppers' optimums:

“13. Shoppers Optimum Points will not be issued respecting the purchase of the following items/services: gift cards and prepaid card products (except Shoppers Drug Mart- branded gift cards),“
    I brought this up and she is working tonight and is going to do the same because... I have to agree and someone has taught them WRONG and I really hope its the *****y supervisor .

Expert Forum User

That's awesome thanks for sharing the tips!
    I have 4 boys ages 7, 5, and 3 and newborn

Yep, definately somewhere you sit and watch the sales. Old Spice deoderant goes on sale a few times a year for $1.49 - great right? There are coupon books that come in the mail (that most people throw out) that are “Buy two Old Spice products save $3“. Combine a wack of coupons, a crap load of deoderant and a 20x the points day and you just made money off the deoderant. No one needs 30 deoderants.... except a shelter. You get the points, shelter gets the deoderant, win win.

I tend to rack up the points on 20X days by printing my photos. Usually after Christmas they have a .10 a print deal too. I *think* online it is always that price, but I have never done it that way. You could always do them online then pick them up & pay for it on a 20X day.
    Sarah, Mommy to Lindsay October 8, 2003, Logan November 23, 2006 & Cohen September 18, 2010

ya know. im just not believing any of this.. i think we need a real life shopping demonstration.. .. LOL.

Page 1 of 22 12345611 ... LastLast