Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Criticism with Baby Led Solids

How do you handle it? I finally feel like I've mastered how I handle criticism regarding my choice to breast feed. But now I'm getting so much grief over baby led solids. None of these people are willing to pick up a book so it's even more frustrating. With the holidays approaching we're getting more and more phone calls, visits, and criticism. L is almost 6 months I let him play with chunks of melon and the odd mashed food with his spoon and this terifies them that I haven't introduced cereal, I don't follow a schedule with introducing solids, and I don't force feed him with the spoon. I am seriously scared for Christmas dinner I know they are going to try and shove everything down his throat I've been trying to just tell them about the research/ reading I've done and why I want to take this approach but I always hear well my doctor said solid by 4 months and x amount of feedings per day by 6 months. What do you say??

Expert Forum User

I say it is my kid so mind your own beeswax! I don't get pressured that much but if asked I offer the information I used to make my choices and then don't leave the door open for opinions.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

My family trusted that I knew what I was doing when we did this. They would try and sneak him food but stopped after a few times. They respected me too much to keep pushing their stupid food agenda.

Tell them he's not ready for food and as his MOTHER, you know best. He puts everything into his mouth and that doesn't mean he wants to “eat“ it.

Oh, keep him within arm's reach during the dinner. Do not let anyone hold him “so you can eat“. That's the line everyone uses to secretly feed them while you enjoy a hot meal.
    My little man was born on Oct 12/08 at home into Dad's loving hands.
    My little lady was born on July 28/11 at home... Daddy was busy keeping mom company.

I have 1 baby Santa Suit for Sale 0-3 months (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/vbclassif...&memberid=2201) or to Trade (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/104323-tr...it#post1592622). Thanks for looking!

Banned

They need to respect you plain and simple. Sorry you are dealing with that.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleCat View Post
    Oh, keep him within arm's reach during the dinner. Do not let anyone hold him “so you can eat“. That's the line everyone uses to secretly feed them while you enjoy a hot meal.
    I've learned this trick! But I'm worried because on Christmas the whole house has food tables all day long.

It's tough too because he has a cousin two months older who eats everything even meat already and it's as if me saying this is what's right for my baby it gets interpreted as I think they are doing the wrong thing for theirs

Then you're just going to have him close all day.

That sucks. Tell your family L is NOT his cousin. He's not ready for food. (I'm sure you've done that already.) Ypu pretty much have to just be a damn broken record and “crazy“ mama.
    My little lady was born on July 28/11 at home... Daddy was busy keeping mom company.

I have 1 baby Santa Suit for Sale 0-3 months (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/vbclassif...&memberid=2201) or to Trade (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/104323-tr...it#post1592622). Thanks for looking!

meh, crazy can be fun.

If anyone has seen any printable pamphlets let me know. I doubt they'd read a whole article but maybe a pamphlet?

yup. cray is fun.

i haven't seen any pamphlet style info sheets but you could always make one up.

The health unit has some pamphlets that say NO solids until 6 mos and even then you are still supposed to BF as his main source of nutrition. It does say you can introduce iron fortified cereals at that age OR meat/meat substitutes. It's your decision which you want to introduce first. I know I'm going to get questions too and I think I will be upfront about my plan to skip formula/cereals.

Expert Forum User

I think your just stuck being the broken record. Hopefully the parents of the other LO realize we all parent different.

Since your LO isin't even 6 months you can alway just say that right now the health unit is recomending the 6month and up before solids. You just let him play with food so he gets used to the idea...than deal with the next step when it arises.

I found once DS was around 8months it got easier, at that point everyone was more facinated with the idea he was feeding himself and I got to sit back and enjoy my meal. I always got the comments....But shouldn't you be feeding him, I never got to eat when mine was little.
    Last edited by Mommymanda; 11-19-2010 at 04:44 PM.
    A by the book mama to a completley healthy DD Dec.2002 and doing it all different, BWng, CDing, BLWing, crunchy mama to an equally healthy DS Nov.2008 apparently a cosleeping mama DS Aug. 2011

Expert Forum User

oh man, don't be surprised if there IS food put in your LOs mouth it happened to me!
    it's so frustrating when people think they know better than you do about your own child.
    *sigh*
    can you make a joke out of it? i've said this before, but i always called it “the bad mother factory“.
    something like, at the bad mother factory they taught me that i got to make all the decisions and screw him up the best i could all on my own, that's exactly what i'm doing“
    then my mom would say “i didn't say you were a bad mom“
    and i would say “well it sure seems like that is what you meant since you think what i'm doing is so wrong“
    i used it all the time. ALL THE TIME.
    ~"Just because I have strong opinions, does not mean I judge. Do not mistake passion for judgment. For you might find you are the one doing the judging". ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Mommymanda View Post

Since your LO isin't even 6 months you can alway just say that right now the health unit is recomending the 6month and up before solids. You just let him play with food so he gets used to the idea...than deal with the next step when it arises.
    hehe that's what I was doing, saying I was going to wait until he was 6 months before I give him solids. Now he will be next week and I'm already getting soo many comments about what I'm doing and how he'll be eating by Christmas. Sure he probally will be eating by Christmas, but I'm not going to force him he'll just be doing it at his own pace.

Quote Originally Posted by hinagal View Post
    oh man, don't be surprised if there IS food put in your LOs mouth it happened to me!
    it's so frustrating when people think they know better than you do about your own child.
    *sigh*
    can you make a joke out of it? i've said this before, but i always called it “the bad mother factory“.
    something like, at the bad mother factory they taught me that i got to make all the decisions and screw him up the best i could all on my own, that's exactly what i'm doing“
    then my mom would say “i didn't say you were a bad mom“
    and i would say “well it sure seems like that is what you meant since you think what i'm doing is so wrong“
    i used it all the time. ALL THE TIME.
    LOL definitely going to use this one! I know he will have something shoved down his throat and I'm going to turn into an evil momma bear but I really wish it didn't have to be this way

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by forevergreen. View Post
    LOL definitely going to use this one! I know he will have something shoved down his throat and I'm going to turn into an evil momma bear but I really wish it didn't have to be this way
    i hear ya sista
    ~"Just because I have strong opinions, does not mean I judge. Do not mistake passion for judgment. For you might find you are the one doing the judging". ~ Unknown

Expert Forum User

I have no advice just that I wish people would screw off in general and let us raise OUR kids OUR way.

That is all.

Good luck!

*inkymama*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast