Thread: Netflix

Default Netflix

How does this work?
    Would you recommend it?
    Is it really only $7.99 a month or are there hidden fees?

Expert Forum User

It's streaming so it relies on your internet connection. Depending on what kind of service you have it may take a while before you can actually watch the video (because it takes time to load). Also, I don't know what kind of package you have with your internet but you might have to watch your internet use because of course you'd have to pay overages if you go over on your monthly allowed internet. It seems like a good service but depends on what kind of internet service you have whether it would be good for you or not.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I'm interested in learning more also! My friend raves about it and recently cancelled her cable as a result. DH tells me its free with Playstation 3? (but, he's been trying to sell me on one of those for months now )
    tough times don't last but tough people do

Expert Forum User

I have it and I think it's great. We watch it on the TV through our Wii. They do only charge 7.99. They have hundreds of movies and TV shows to watch. I read something online and for the internet plan I have we'd have to be watching more than 25 movies per month to exceed our bandwidth and we watch it less than that. Some drawbacks are that they have very few new releases. I read somewhere that it has something to do with getting licensing for the titles. I have found that they have quite a few titles I've never seen and am interested in watching. I find the loading time is only a few seconds and the quality compares to watching a dvd. It also has a feature that allows you to rate movies you've seen and based on your likes it will recommend other movies you are likely to enjoy. There is also an option where you can search for movies simular to one you watched which is nice too.

eta- one thing I didn't like was for it to work with the Wii you are supposed to request a disc to activate it. I never got the disc. When I spoke to the mailman he said he got a bunch of these discs all without unit numbers so he sent them back. I requested a new disc but never got that one either. Luckily the activation became available on the Wii channels or I might never have gotten it going
    Last edited by MomLiz; 11-15-2010 at 09:35 PM.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Upsidedownmuffin View Post
    you might have to watch your internet use because of course you'd have to pay overages if you go over on your monthly allowed internet.
    That's a very important point right now! It would certainly put me off trying Netflix (I hear the Canadian content isn't great anyway).

Expert Forum User

I read somewhere that 1 hour of Netflix = 1 gig of internet usage. HD is more.
    Last edited by CMR78; 11-15-2010 at 10:47 PM.

04/05/12 & 28/09/12 - Mama loves you, Babies.

Expert Forum User

We have Netflix free for a month, we watch it through out Xbox. I've written it on the calendar so we don't forget to cancel it.

It's true that the Canadian content isn't as grat as the American content, for some reason there are things not available here.

I have no idea about the internet usage! We'll have to see when a the month is over, and cancel it.....and we will be cancelling it!

We don't have cable normally, so it's a big change for us. I like not having much TV so I don't think I will be disappointed when it's gone! Though I do like all the docuementaries on it. It's nice when we sit down all together and watch something; last week we watched Wild China, and the kids (5 and 4) really liked it! My hubby usually downloads all of the things we watch, but I don't look for things for him to download so we probably wouldnever have seen Wild China or some other docuementaries that I see on there.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.~Michael Pollan, author of In Defense of Food
    If we want to move towards a low-polluting, sustainable society, we need to get consumers to think about their purchases-David Suzuki
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world"- Mahatma Gandhi

We have it for now but I do find there is not much of a selection on recent movies etc...we won't renew it.

We have it. Its okay for the price.

Expert Forum User

We too are trying it out for a month. So far we have watched a kid movie on it and a whole 8 episodes of Dinosaur Train
    “A mother's love is patient and forgiving when all others are forsaking,
    it never fails or falters, even though the heart is breaking”- Helen Rice

Although they are adding content regularly and I do like lots of the TV content they have, I will be cancelling when my free month is up. Something we may revisit later as they add more content.

I'd like to see a lot more stuff added akin to the US Netflix.