Thread: Do you care?

Expert Forum User

Default Do you care?

Do you find that you are concerned about kids' toys or baby products that are laden with chemicals? I have been reading so much lately about all the "bad stuff" and sometimes it feels empowering to be able to make better choices but at other times I feel more helpless. Helpless because the government still allows these products to be on shelves and helpless because there is still not enough research out there yet and general exposure to the public regarding the dangers of these chemicals. I usually end up feeling frustrated and overwhelmed because there is so much information out there but it seems like not enough is being done.

Sorry, just feeling a bit defeated about it all. I usually believe in the whole "knowledge is power" mentality, but sometimes all of this makes me wonder if ignorance sometimes is bliss.

How do you feel?
    Formerly known as London skye

Check out my Kijiji link! Lots of great stuff priced to sell!

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se...AdIdZ425988249

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Yes, I care....but I don't drive myself crazy with it all. I tend to aim for chem free dishes, and food items.....and also creams, lotions, etc. whenever possible. Toys....I feel like its a losing battle, especially since DD1 goes to daycare and I can't control what happens there....so I don't really worry about that.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

Yes, it's stressful sometimes so I try not to think about it too much. I limit the amount of plastic toys. I felt guilty when I bought her an exersaucer but I knew she'd love it. Blah.
    I use a 'natural' body wash just once a week and no lotions or creams.

I try to look at th big picture. I understand that to maintain the way we live there are just some things that have to be manufactured and its going to involve things I do not always like wether it be chemicals or working conditions ect.
    I do my best to control what comes into the house but we do often buy things second hand which I feel is helping keep things from landfill so although they may be made in ways that are not so great its already been done so I might as well use every bit of life they have in them.
    I don't think there is a way to avoid everything so we try to pick the things we beleive are the biggest issues for us.
    Petal Babies General Store Inc.
    Open Monday - Sat.
    www.petalbabies.com

Expert Forum User

yea I care a ton. Not so much about toys it seems but it is sooo frustrating that is for certain.
    I try to buy second hand, like MKerton said, I feel thats a good comprimise.

Candace~ Christ-clinging, babywearing, tiedying, barefoot, nature loving, crunchy mamma of three~

Expert Forum User

Pretty much everything is bad... and yup, the government does not care. I mean, the water you drink is not exactly good for you, stuff in food, stuff in BABY products... it's all bad. You can only do your best by limiting... playing more outdoors than with plastic toys, buying more natural toys... but not being TOO crazy about it.

I care, but I dont pay attention. Theres so much to think about that I could drive myself insane with worry if I wanted too. Just keep it in perspective - I know the odds are low anything will happen to my LO's. I have one cause I worry about at a time, I dont focus on everything. I find one can be overwhelming sometimes.

Expert Forum User

I care, but I dont let it stress me out.

Anything that goes in or on the body (lotions, food etc.) I have kept pretty much natural around here.

If I'm buying the toys I try to keep natural, but with friends, family, daycare and a husband there are still many around that are not. The kids are passed the mouthing stage so I don't let it get to me...I know I'm doing what I can.
    A by the book mama to a completley healthy DD Dec.2002 and doing it all different, BWng, CDing, BLWing, crunchy mama to an equally healthy DS Nov.2008 apparently a cosleeping mama DS Aug. 2011

We care but, yes, it can be overwhelming. We definitely pick our battles and started doing things in stages (ie not everything at once, we slowly switched to local, organic food, then chemical-free products on our bodies, then dishes, pots, pans, etc.)

We also buy a lot of second hand toys, but, like others have said it's too hard to control everything around them, especially at daycare and gifts they receive from other family.

I think it swings back and forth. As you say, sometimes you just feel defeated! A lot of the breads have HFCS, so I try to avoid that and we use a lot of tortillas. I buy corn ones sometimes to give variety and keep costs down and one day grabbed a different brand, got home and it has friggin parabens IN the damn torillas! Seriously? Yeah. I was TRYING to go for something good for us.

The toys things drives me nuts, I got some wooden ones for my niece for Christmas by Imaginarium which Toys'R US sells, but I wasnted to find out about the paint and that has been a bit of a disaster trying to get that info. I buy brands I feel I can trust, but then there wind up being recalls. Yet at the same time a lot of the recalls are stupid and irrelevant anyways and just over the top speculation that isn't even helpful for keeping people safe.

SIgh. I do fits and starts on this. I try to make myself aware and do what I can knowing that anything is something and good!

Expert Forum User

I care a whole lot about this yes but like it's been said, it can get quite a bit overwhelming and there is so much to worry about that sometimes it's hard to know where to start. I am slowly donating all plastic toys we have here and replacing them with eco-friendly toys, me and the LO's have been using chemical free products on our bodies but there is still so much I want to do. But one step at a time

Banned

I totally stress myself about it, all the time. Ugh!

I for the most part likely care too much and usually I find it hard to find balance.

For my body and the body of my children I buy all natural stuff (which again likely isnt even 100% natural, I buy Live products)

I buy natural tooth pate, but got my first cavity EVER after using it. So I went back to the other stuff - but struggle with that, a lot.

I buy mostly natural make up, but again, not all......

Foods, I do pretty well with food.......

I trust my body not to get over burden with chemicals and naturally clear itself, if that makes sense - but doing exercise, and getting lots of fresh air daily.