Default Need Help to Prove My Coworkers Wrong!!

For a couple of years now, I've been trying to get my co-workers engaged with social media and networking. I've told them a bajillion times how cool the London Moms social network is and how it provides so much support for local parents. I've also introduced them to twitter and blogging and facebook. The majority of them feel it's more work, and they don't think it will make a difference, and I am trying to convince them that social media and networking is just another way to serve and support families, and it works! Please help me, show them how powerful online outreach truly is! You can help me by following us on twitter (follow us, and we'll follow you!), add us as a friend on facebook, add our blog to your google reader or whatever you use, comment on our blog posts (I'll even write you back!), add us as a contact on Flickr . . .

I'm most proud of our blog. I've spent so much time and energy building it. It is full of children's activity ideas, parenting strategies, crafts, recipes, current events, literacy tips, etc. I've been at it for two years now, and I think it's pretty swell. I was thinking of adding a page that lists all the local mommy blogs, so if you would like yours added, send me the link and title, and I'll add it.

Blog: Childreach
    Twitter: : Childreach Centre (Childreach) on Twitter
    Flickr: Flickr: Childreach Centre's Photostream
    Facebook: Childreach Centre | Facebook

I've seen the power of London Moms!

Please note that Childreach parent/child programs are fully funded by the government, and they are absolutely free and mandated to serve all families. The focus is on the early years - 0-6 years. I just want to prove that we can reach and support parents and caregivers online as easily as those who walk through our doors.
    Last edited by corazenia; 11-02-2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: not persuasive enough
    My musings about my children, my crafts and everything and anything else can be found on my blog.

I can kinda see where your co-workers are coming from. While I think that social media is great and can really connect people, it does create a lot of extra work! Because it's not just about having to constantly post things so that people stay engaged (time), but also monitoring and replying to any comments that people leave (time). So if it is an organization that is short-staffed and people are already stretched, I can see their hesitation. I know that's how I feel at my work (and I have been the one trying to encourage the use of social media..LOL!).

I am struggling with the same thing at my work. I can see how a blog can be very useful, especially in a service area, because you can post articles, crafts, etc. Things that are useful, rather than telling me who is currently in the service. KWIM? But I still don;t know if Facebook and Twitter are all that useful. Maybe other LM's comments will convince me too!

So convince me corazenia, how does Facebook, Flicker and Twitter provide any support to me as a mom who is busy and has sooo many other pages to visit and stay updated with? In some ways I see it as “spam“ or like TV ads of a service trying to catch my attention, ALL the time. Just my two cents.

By the way, I really like your blogs.
    Seeing life through the eyes of a toddler is....AMAZING! Enjoy them while you can!

Thanks, singlemama, for the blog love.

I absolutely agree that from the audience's point of view keeping up with five different social media applications would eat up a ridiculous amount of time. My argument for my organization to use so many applications is that parents and caregivers have different preferences. Some are avid facebook users, some would rather tweet, and others might prefer a more content and image-rich blog post. I try to communicate all the same 'news' items on all the applications, so a reader would only need to keep current with one to receive the same information.

For example, I'll blog an activity idea. This might take me fifteen minutes total (typing, linking, adding an image, tagging). I then copy the link of the new post, and I tweet the link along with the title (2 minutes). Same with facebook (2 minutes). I've taken 20 minutes to update our online friends.

I believe that having an online presence is important as that is where families are turning to for answers regarding parenting, child development and available programs and services to support them. If the content is good and strong, it will add to our reputation. We can raise awareness. We can be transparent to the community we serve. We can engage the community. Our mandate is to serve families. We can do it over the phone, by email, face-to-face . . . Why not using social media?

Flickr and youtube are different. They can be used to help families who haven't visited our sites to see what they can expect should they choose to drop in. Many parents and caregivers hesitate to visit a playgroup because they don't know what to expect, they may not understand what they are, or they don't know what they're missing out on in the first place. Maybe if they see that the playroom is bright, sunny, the staff appear friendly and welcoming, and children are having fun, they would be more inclined to come. Regardless to say, visuals always appeal to potential donors as well.

Maintaining the 'online outreach' could take up a lot of time, but I do it in small bits. Currently, there is not a whole lot of upkeep needed, as I rarely get comments on any of them. This makes me a little sad, but I also keep in mind that my stats are quite healthy and are slowly building some momentum. Plus the content doesn't beg to be answered - it's there for the taking with no strings. So people probably don't feel the need to leave a comment. Who knows!

I hope I'm not rambling on here, and I hope some of it makes sense. Lord knows, I've given it a butt-load of thought.
    My musings about my children, my crafts and everything and anything else can be found on my blog.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Some awesome LM got me knitting! Social networking works!
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen View Post
    Some awesome LM got me knitting! Social networking works!
    Knitting is where it's at. All the cool kids are doing it.

That's great cor. I appreciate your feedback. I can take some of those arguments back to my work.

I definitely agree with using YouTube and Flickr so that people get to see what a great space is available and it will hopefully make them more comfortable in coming in. Hmmmm, I think I need to take some pics of my work. LOL! Like I need to add more work to my overloaded workload! It was nice seeing the faces of some of the friendly staff I know from OEYC in the pics.

As with Twitter and Facebook, I still don't get it and I don;t think I will either. LOL! I use Facebook to connect with friends, not to get info, but that's just me. Twitter is still a big mystery to me. hehe I just don't get it. I am stuck thinking of it as an RSS feed in a way...but people sharing personal things with a limited number of words.
    Seeing life through the eyes of a toddler is....AMAZING! Enjoy them while you can!

Ooh, I just remembered one of my first arguments!!

An organization's website usually remains static. People will visit it for the basic information - hours of operations, program details, calendars, history, location, contact information, etc. The content pretty much stays exactly the same with the exception of a little tweaking every couple of months. Search engines such as google pick up content that is the most recently added as the most current - makes sense. You might notice too, that google regularly pulls up info from facebook, linkdin, youtube, twitter, etc. when you do a search. If I search the name of a person, facebook will probably be in google's top five results.

This is all good because if I keep posting new and fresh content, then it's becomes easier for people to find my organization. Because let's face it, if someone doesn't know of Childreach, they sure as heck aren't going to do a search for “Childreach“. They might search toilet training or raising resilient girls, and chances are they may come across a facebook group update, a blog post, a tweet or an image from our Flickr set because I am regularly adding content, and google likes that.

This argument pretty much sold online outreach to my leadership team. Unfortunately, it's been much more difficult getting the frontline staff on board.

Quote Originally Posted by corazenia View Post
    Knitting is where it's at. All the cool kids are doing it.
    ITA!
    MonsterMom

Workout addict, ultimate procrasinator, English student and knitter.