Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default When do you tell family and friends?

Of course announcing your pregnancy is some of the most exciting news you will ever share in your life. You want it to be just perfect, as it is a memory everyone will remember forever. On the other hand you are bursting to just spill it!!!!! How long do you wait to share your happy news with those close to you?

DH thinks we should wait until close to the end of the first trimester. I know where he is coming from, but I'm just not sure I can. How long do you think is Ok to wait. I think I should be able to tell those closest to me. I would share every other detail in my life if I saw fit. Now I wouldn't go telling every store clerk...just those closest to us. Also his parents are going away for 4 months at the beginning of January and I think it is nicer to share in person than wait and tell them over the phone.

What do you do?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

We are planning on telling DH's family Christmas Day. Over top of the boys christmas outfits, they'll be decked out in their own individual t-shirts. DS#1 " Not another one!" With a picture of a baby, and DS#2 " I'm gonna be a big brother!!!"

My dad already knows... I couldn't wait lol

Banned

I think my opinion is biased because of a M/C on our first pregnancy. I lost the baby in the very week when I was about to tell everyone (13 weeks) and I was so relieved that I hadn't said anything, I then subsequently told my mum after the fact so that I would get loads of sympathy from her, but I was glad I didn't then have to "untell" everyone else. So in subsequent pregnancies we never said anything to anyone until we were safely past the first trimester, but I'm sure that's my tainted view of things!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    We are planning on telling DH's family Christmas Day. Over top of the boys christmas outfits, they'll be decked out in their own individual t-shirts. DS#1 " Not another one!" With a picture of a baby, and DS#2 " I'm gonna be a big brother!!!"

My dad already knows... I couldn't wait lol
    Did you make them or buy them? If bought, where?
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pumpkinery-Creations/220912411314225

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinsmom View Post
    Did you make them or buy them? If bought, where?

I have made them! But I know you can buy the I'm a big brother/sister shirts.. just can't remember where. But I'm cheap.. so I just make them. Lol

i told my close family right away, about 6 weeks....i didn't tell my work or others until after 1st trimester. I figured that i would tell people in my family right away b/c if i was to miscarry then i would feel comfortable telling them and it wouldn't be awkward. Whereas, i wouldn't want to break the pregancy news at work too early then have to have everyone be so upset and constantly ask if i was okay if i did miscarry. Although, with my 2nd baby everyone knew at 8 weeks b/c i was throwing up alot at work....it's whatever makes you comfortable, chances are if you don't say anything people will find out you are by how you are acting,feeling,or if you are getting big quick(which happens if it's your 2nd)...congratulations!

Expert Forum User

My mom knew before my husband. He was working and unavailable to take my phone call & I HAD to tell SOMEONE!!! Everyone else waited until 12 weeks.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pumpkinery-Creations/220912411314225

Expert Forum User

With our DD we waited until I was 12 weeks to tell family and friends. We're telling our family on Christmas day that we're expecting again. I will be 9 weeks preggers. I think it would be a nice top off gift like pp said! I also don't think I could hide it anymore... I'm already starting to look "thick". lol Also, I may be a little green in the face when dinner is served!

I don't think there is a right time. Just go with what you are comfortable with. Ultimately your family and friends are going to be good supporters no matter what the outcome is.

Best of luck and congrats!!!

Expert Forum User

We told everyone as soon as we knew... so like 5 weeks! With #1 we went to a party the night we found out and DH announced it to everyone when I went to the bathroom. With #2 the phone rang as I was reading the test. I told the person on the phone. I understand wanting to wait until a safer time but my view is that I would want tons of support if I lost the baby and also making it past the first trimester is no guarentee. However this is easy for me to say as I have never lost a baby. Congrats on your great news. You will have a great time telling everyone whenever you decide!

I found out I was pregnant at four weeks and we told my parents. They were stopping off at our house for the night on their drive back from the States. I bought 'I love Grandma' and 'I love Grandpa' bibs and wrapped them up. It was kinda' funny 'cause mum opened the package and totally didn't clue in to what I was saying. It took her a number of seconds and a few meaningful looks to finally get it.

We held out as long as we could for telling everyone else ... which wasn't long. The next time though I'm going to try and only tell family during the first trimester and wait to tell everyone else until the second.
    Mom to Ali (3) & Eva (1)

Quote Originally Posted by thebarmybee View Post
    With #2 the phone rang as I was reading the test. I told the person on the phone.
    It's funny you should mention that. My aunt called from England about five minutes after I took the test and I just had to tell her!
    Mom to Ali (3) & Eva (1)

Expert Forum User

I told my immediate family and close friends right away. I had planned to hold off telling everyone else until the end of the first trimester but it was impossible to hide because I'm petite and I started showing immediately. I was in mat clothes by 9 weeks! And before that I was wearing DH's shirts to work. No one seemed surprised when I told them.

Zoo

I always told family & friends right away. My reasoning was if I *did* miscarry, why would I not want them to know? Does that make sense? Basically everyone I was close enough to that I would tell them I'd had a miscarriage, I told them right away when I was pregnant.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by e & c's mommy View Post
    I figured that i would tell people in my family right away b/c if i was to miscarry then i would feel comfortable telling them and it wouldn't be awkward.

chances are if you don't say anything people will find out you are by how you are acting,feeling,or if you are getting big quick(which happens if it's your 2nd)...congratulations!
    3rd YIKES! LOL

This is what I feel, I'm an open book and would need to talk even if, God forbid, something were to happen.

Also, because of where I work, there are precautions we need to take even in the TTC mode, I'll be even more careful now. It won't be hard to figure out.

Zoo

Start wearing loose shirts and rubbing your belly now. Oh, and pretend to barf in the mornings. When people say 'are you pregnant,' you can honestly say NO I AM NOT! Then when you really are, they won't bother to ask

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast