Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I think you could get out of it. My mom has no official diagnosis but can't sit still, has to get up and walk around, stretch, etc or she's in intense pain. Judge excused her and said she's off the hook for all future calls.

I know that they need juries, but I would hate to have that kind of responsibility. As suspicious as I am of people, I have made some horrible judgement call on people in the past. Pretty much the worst ones you can make. I would not want to have to discern what is the truth and what is not, and I've seen The Whole Truth a few times lately....
    the idea of condemning someone innocent terrifies me even more of letting someone guilty go free.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

I got one today too. I'm not too worried, they send them out every year or two, doesn't mean we'll get selected.

My dh got one today too!

Expert Forum User

We got one delivered here for my FIL.

My first thought was Tori Stafford.

Quote Originally Posted by All_naturalmom View Post
    just tell the you support the kkk, you are bi polar, and will use this as a learning experience to better hate (whatever race the person on trial might be). They'll pick you for sure after that...or arrest you. your call really.
    lol!

I dont care that your joking that comment is beyond ignorant. Both me and my child have bipolar and not only is your comment offensive to us its pushing a sterotype that we are hateful

Expert Forum User

I think what bug me about the direction of this thread is the promoting of excuses not to serve on a jury. I have never been called, but my parents were when we were kids. I get it can be boring, I get that it might be stressful, but it is part of your civic duty to do this, if you are able. Rather than claiming a mental health disorder (which I don't see why this would excuse you from being on a jury, TBH) or an affiliation with a hate group, why not take the day, and a book, and be a part of somthing bigger than yourself?

04/05/12 & 28/09/12 - Mama loves you, Babies.

because to be truly honest.. i would have to be on a MAJOR amount of painkillers to be able to sit long enough in a court room to hear everything going on.. as i don't think they allow people to get up and wonder around.... and although it may be my 'duty' they still have to take into consideration well being.. what good am I if im in pain.. or not thinking clearly to make proper decisions. i don't want that on my concious for the rest of my life. I would feel better knowing someone who can handle that and has more retaining memory to have my spot .. i would also think it more fair to the people who are being brought before judge.. so really NO its not an excuse. sorry if I made seem that way. IF I really could participate without any problems darn right I would.
    Last edited by MrsSunshine; 10-29-2010 at 10:19 PM.

just heard my gf got a summons for jury duty as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    I'm with Kari, I think it would be tons of fun

Gotta say, I know you're joking, but I really didn't appreciate this post Just because someone is bi polar, doesn't mean they don't/can't/shouldn't participate in a jury.

didn't mean to offend. my hubby is bi polar... really didn't mean anything by it
    Why yes I'm a Doula! (in training) come check out my Facebook for more info!. Or PM me!
    https://www.facebook.com/greatexpectationsdoula

here is my doulamatch profile: http://doulamatch.net/profile/6878/kate-williamson

Quote Originally Posted by CMR78 View Post
    I think what bug me about the direction of this thread is the promoting of excuses not to serve on a jury. I have never been called, but my parents were when we were kids. I get it can be boring, I get that it might be stressful, but it is part of your civic duty to do this, if you are able. Rather than claiming a mental health disorder (which I don't see why this would excuse you from being on a jury, TBH) or an affiliation with a hate group, why not take the day, and a book, and be a part of somthing bigger than yourself?
    I think if it WAS one day, it would not scare off as many people as it does. But too often trials are not one day, they are long, and you get paid piddly for serving on a jury, and in the meantime you are not bringing in your regular pay cheque, able to pick up your kids when you're supposed to, look after them, feed your animals if you have a farm, etc. It's not just so simple.
    A lot of people can't afford a few weeks or months of disruption to their lives!

And frankly, a lot of people shouldn't BE on juries. There are a lot of prejudices out there.
    In the OP's case, I think she's totally right - pain killers or just being distracted by pain is doing no one a favour, guilty or innocent. I wouldn't want her on the jury if I was on trial, no offense intended to her - I don't think she'd be focused on the task at hand despite her good intentions.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Quote Originally Posted by sittingpretty View Post
    I dont care that your joking that comment is beyond ignorant. Both me and my child have bipolar and not only is your comment offensive to us its pushing a sterotype that we are hateful
    seriously...didn't mean to offend anyone. sorry. I wasn't really trying to perpetuate any stereotypes. I'll be more careful with my words next time
    Why yes I'm a Doula! (in training) come check out my Facebook for more info!. Or PM me!
    https://www.facebook.com/greatexpectationsdoula

here is my doulamatch profile: http://doulamatch.net/profile/6878/kate-williamson

Quote Originally Posted by CMR78 View Post

I think the reason why something like ADD or other mental health issues could be a factor to get out is a number of reasons its well known I have a lot more compassion for those living with bipolar esp untreated/not properly treated bipolar so if they put me on a jury where the person on trial is bp well lets say I am probably not going to be as open minded as I should or could be. For someone with add can they really listen and pay attention etc etc? It would come down to how well is there treatment going.

As for what I stated with a criminal record thats what I was told years ago that becasue I have a record I would never be called thats just what I know not an excuse.

What I do is if I was on trial I would not want a person with untreated ADD as a juror or someone who would be in pain after sitting too long I have been through 3 family court trials and they sit for long periods before breaks I do not believe someone in the in the instances I just described would be able to 100% put there attention and focus on the trial and not themselves or other distractions

Expert Forum User

I got called in once after I'd just been unemployed for almost a year and had JUST gotten a new job and been yelled at by E.I. the previous week saying that I was going to owe them money due to E.I. overpayment. Anyway, I called the number on the form and was excused. I think I could have also gone to the doctor though and gotten excused because I have to eat every 3 to 4 hours or I just randomly pass out. I also have a very strict diet which would make finding food difficult for me.

I think its great if someone wants to serve on a jury.....I'm sure it seems like fun from afar. And, it might be fun initially to feel like your part of the process etc.

But, you have to remember that people's lives are on the line....and you want the people making decisions about those lives, to be focussed, healthy, impartial and able to give 100% to the task at hand. If people have a medical issue which would prevent them from one of those things, then they SHOULDN'T serve....and those are not excuses, thats reality.

Not everyone can afford multiple days spent in the courtroom.....and no one should do so at the detriment of thier own job/life/family. That is not an excuse.

You should also consider that what you could hear/see/know as a result of sitting on a jury will stay with you forever. You can never unknow something.

Jury duty is real life, its not TV. Real people's lives are/have been torn apart. It shouldn't be taken lightly, and a person should only do it if they are mentally/physically/emotionally able to handle it. If they can't they shouldn't be judged for it.
    Last edited by laurensmom; 10-29-2010 at 11:32 PM.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

Laurensmom made one great point I hadn't really thought of - that you can't unknow what you see or hear there. That might not seem like a big deal but I think people would feel differently if they were listening to the details of a rape or murder in person, in detail, with photos, and other evidence.

DH has seen some awful stuff at his job, and now looks at shows with crime or medical dramas and says “That is not very realistic.“ It's changed him forever. How he thinks, how he dreams, how he reacts.
    I wouldn't want to go through that.
    Add to it that you'd be handling it alone, since you can't discuss what you see or hear in the trial with anyone close to you, and that's a lot to ask of a person.

Laurensmom is right - only those who feel they are capable, should serve. Otherwise it is unfair to all involved.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast