Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default simple quilt...block size?

I am wanting to make a quilt out of my DD baby clothes. I've never made a quilt before, I wouldl ike to make this on a simple one, blocks of fabric sewn together. I'm no where near the sewingmachine with this project, I have to learn to sew first, but I would like to start cutting the clothes into blocks to store them until I am ready. I'm not sure what size blocks I should use. Any suggestions?

Expert Forum User

It depends on the size of the outfits. You need to make sure you have enough at the back the smallest outfit to match the larger outfits. Also keep in mind what fabrics you're using - some will be stretchy while others are taught. This may not work well together and give you a ripple effect.
    Whatever size blocks you decide on, keep in mind you need a quarter inch on each side for a seam allowance (so you will ultimately lose 1/2 inch). So subtract 1/2 inch from whatever size you cut out & that will be what shows on the quilt top.
    Generally, the squares for a 4 patch quilt are 4 inches x 4 inches...
    Quilting is one of my joys in life, so if you have further questions, PM me. Good luck!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pumpkinery-Creations/220912411314225

3snugglebugs

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinsmom View Post
    Quilting is one of my joys in life
    It's great to see there's another quilter on this board! I loooove fabric !!

Banned

ohhh I would like to learn more about this too... I have just learnt to sew a very basic blanket, and would love the idea of making a quilt.... We should all talk

Expert Forum User

Another quilter here!

Is this quilt for use or for show/wall hanging?

Expert Forum User

I honestly can't understand why there isn't a great quilt shop in London. I'm from Guelph & they can be found, but not here. The best one I've seen is in Ailsa Craig...
    Would anyone be interested in a "quilting bee"? Bring your own projects & machines, and meet some fellow quilters???

Expert Forum User

This quilt will be for use I think. I found a quilt that I like, but I don' tknow if I would be able to do it with these outfits, not enough similar material to make it cohesive looking. I thought about using an outfit for the bigger squares, so they would all be different, then perhaps using solid colours for the smaller squares. Would that look okay?

http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpa.../rag_quilt.htm

Expert Forum User

I have been wanting to make a rag quilt for years...even have loads of flannel for it but just haven't done much quilting lately. Thanks for posting the link, I'm going to do this over Christmas.

As for your advice...when you say "outfits" are you using a square of fabric (i.e. a shirt)? I guess the size of the squares depends on the size of the outfits/shirts etc. Is there a pattern/example of this outfit quilt you have in mind? Or are you thinking of the quilt you linked to?

Expert Forum User

ooooh,, I should make a rag quilt out of all DC's old receiving blankies...how soft would that be??!! Sorry to hijack...!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by mamalondon View Post
    I have been wanting to make a rag quilt for years...even have loads of flannel for it but just haven't done much quilting lately. Thanks for posting the link, I'm going to do this over Christmas.

As for your advice...when you say "outfits" are you using a square of fabric (i.e. a shirt)? I guess the size of the squares depends on the size of the outfits/shirts etc. Is there a pattern/example of this outfit quilt you have in mind? Or are you thinking of the quilt you linked to?
    I would like to use the my materials to make the quilt shown in the link

"Outfits"...I mean baby sleepers mostly. I think I can get the size of the large square out of the back. They will be all different patterns, mostly pink/white...similar colours. In the example quilt, the large squares are all the same material.

I am wondering how the quilt will look with the large squares all different patterns(similar colours). Will this be too busy? Would smaller squares would have to be solid colours?

OMG...receiving blankets! I have many of those, I don't know why I didn't think to use them. Thanks

Expert Forum User

The quilt you posted will look good with all different materials, but would be best with one or two same patterned fabrics to bring it all together. Depends. That's the great thing about quilting...follow a pattern, but the fabric is your choice - it is what makes the finished project wonderful and unique.

Expert Forum User

Agreed -- maybe buy a yard of a solid or pattern that ties in the other ones and throw it in there. I find w/patchwork just going random works great. If you find a fabric you like, you could put it in some squares but also use it for the border.

Stop thinking -- start cutting. If you have enough fabric the sizes in the link you posted would probably work great for you.

Expert Forum User

ok ok, I'm going to start cutting...lol

Expert Forum User

I'm in the middle of a quilt made from my DS's clothes as well.....

I'm using different sized triangles and squares to make 1' x 1' sections and then I will put all the sections together. I've tried to keep each 1' x 1' section in similar colours but some have other colours in them. I've decided to make this a crazy quilt for fun as opposed to worrying about how it will look when it's all together.

The only real issues I've had is the different "weights" of materials.
    I'm using a lot of denim along with cotton sleeper material etc.
    I've had to iron a backing to a lot of the lighter weight fabrics to keep a consistent "feel" to the materials.
    I'd take suggestions if anyone had a better idea about how to get different weighted fabrics to work well together....
    I am also determined that it will be able to be tossed in the washer and dryer when I'm done....

I generally use 4x4"

But have also used 5x5" and 6x6" for I SPY quilts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast