Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Default French Immersion Question

I was just wondering when I should start looking into this. Is there waiting lists??? that type of thing. We have looked into which schools there are.... where they are .... what it is all about .... etc. Now I am just wondering about when to actually visit the schools. is it the same as if they were entering regular kindergarten??? Or do we need to get our names on a list sooner??? A mom that was our photographer at Superstore a while back told me to do it early, but how early should I make decisions???

French Immersion programs run by the Thames Valley School Board do not have waiting lists. As it is a public program, every child within a school's catchment area is entitled to attend.

There are three entry points for FI; SK, Grade 1 and Grade 7 (this is referred to as 'late entry', and these students form a program unto themselves. They do not attend classes with those who started in SK/Grade 1).

This month, all FI programs are having information nights. Check out this link to find out the dates for your particular school. http://www.tvdsb.on.ca/events/2007Fr...ntnights.shtml Teachers will be on hand to answer any of your questions.

You do *not* have a choice regarding which FI school your child will attend as it is based on where you live. It is recommended that you register prior to March 15 for staffing reasons. If you are not sure which school you should register at, call the board office at 452-2000.

Hope this helps.
    Carly.

P.S. I just noticed your address. Note that there have been some boundary changes in your area this year with the opening of a FI program at Princess Elizabeth. The former Princess Anne boundary has changed such that if you live on the west side of Highbury, you should be registering for SK at Princess Elizabeth. At least, this is my understanding. Call the board office for clarification.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Thank you for the info. It helped put my mind at ease. Kaitlyn is still a bit off from resgistering, just wanted to make sure I did not have to do anything early. We are actualy East of Highbury I think so it should still be princess ann right??? I have one mor equestion for you if you do not mind .... Since FI starts in SK should I register DD in JK somewhere else (closer to home), do we do it at that school, or is it better to do a preschool/daycare ... possibly one that offers some french as well??? Just when I thought I had it all figured out I find more questions. Sorry about that. If it is a bother to ask them I can call the board too. I just feel a little less silly on here. Thought I was done the big learning steps for a first time mom ... i had no idea school years was going to bring a whole new set of things to figure out

I can't advise you on whether or not JK or preschool is your best option. You know your daughter best, your own comfort level and what will work best for your family, but I will tell you of my experience from a teacher's perspective. Many of my students attend a regular JK program at their neighbourhood school and then come to the FI program. To be honest, these students are better prepared than those coming straight from home. Those that come from a preschool are often well off too, depending on the quality of the preschool.

If you do attend the info. night (and I recommend it), don't feel silly asking questions. Believe me, we have heard them all and they are all legitimate. It's your child's care we are talking about after all! Besides, if you attend the Princess Anne night, it will be me answering your questions anyways

Hope to see you there!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Sorry just had to jump in and say Princess Ann ROCKS! lol.. My older brothers and I all attended from Sk up! ( I was the first year they were FI ) And I hear my grd 1 teacher still teaches there.. and Im still in contact with my grd 8 and grd 4 teachers from there. Again.. Princess Ann ROCKS!