Thread: VIN search

Expert Forum User

Question VIN search

Does anyone know what they all tell you? I just did a search on carfax and it says there are 7 or 8 reports on the vehicle. The vehicle is only 3 years old what excatly could be the issue? I plan to call the dealer in the morning and see if they will send me the info but in the meantime I am curious. Anyone BTDT?

ETA: Does the dealer usually have to do this or only when requested?
    Last edited by LoveMyGirls22; 10-19-2010 at 10:45 PM.

Our car has 10 records on it, it's 4 years old... there's nothing bad in the report, it's all mileage reports and when it was registered, put up for sale, etc.

Expert Forum User

I'm pretty sure they have to give it to you. That is alot for a newerish car IMO

Was it a commercial vehicle before? Ours was, that's why it had so many....but also the reason it's in awesome shape with low mileage.

If you have the VIN.. go to MTO and purchase a used vehicle information package.. it will tell you about anything serious against the car...

Expert Forum User

don't all used cars have to come with a used vehicle info package... which you get before you pick up the car?

Quote Originally Posted by /wasn't me/ View Post
    don't all used cars have to come with a used vehicle info package... which you get before you pick up the car?
    The problem is you dont need one until you have already bought the car and go to MTO to transfer it in your name.. Thats when you would find out any information about liens on the car, etc. and then its too late..
    Where as if you buy the package BEFORE you buy the car, you know EVERYTHING!
    I dont know if buying a used car from a dealer is different or not...
    Buying and Selling a Used Vehicle in Ontario

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by /wasn't me/ View Post
    That's what I thought too - the dealer / owner HAS to provide this for you when you purchase the vehicle.... if there is anything in the package that the dealer hasn't informed you of, you have the option to call off the sale, and get a return on any money.

Expert Forum User

don't forget to go to the manufacturers website too, and check for recalls using your VIN

*inkymama*

Expert Forum User

yeah I thought the seller (in this case the dealer) has to have one and provide it to the buyer prior to the sale. that's what we did anyways when we sold my old clunker.

Expert Forum User

I talked to the dealer this morning and the sent me the CarProof so I am not sure if that is the same as CarFax and the others but it does have some info.

The link above says that only PRIVATE sales require the used vehicle info so that doesn't apply here. I am debating if I should spend the $30 to find out what the 7 or 8 reports say or just assume what the CarProof says is enough.

I would think the main things would be that it has never been in an accident right?

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyGirls22 View Post
    I talked to the dealer this morning and the sent me the CarProof so I am not sure if that is the same as CarFax and the others but it does have some info.

The link above says that only PRIVATE sales require the used vehicle info so that doesn't apply here. I am debating if I should spend the $30 to find out what the 7 or 8 reports say or just assume what the CarProof says is enough.

I would think the main things would be that it has never been in an accident right?
    Not necessarily.. the used vehicle information package shows if there are any leins on the car.. this, to me is super important too...
    Last edited by Danie; 10-20-2010 at 01:53 PM.

Expert Forum User

Ok this shows if there is liens or not...which there is not so I think we are good. Thanks