Expert Forum User

Default Simple meals to help a friend

Friends of ours are going through a tough time right now (health related, and they have two young kids), and I would like to make up some meals to restock their freezer with - I know they already have LOTS of lasagnas and meatloaves from others, so I'm looking for something a little different...any suggestions?
    I'm thinking homemade mac n' cheese, chicken parmesean and...?!?
    TIA!

stew, soups, maybe some muffins or loaves, cookies, pasta sauce, I guess that is all I can think of right now but if I can think of anything else I will let you know and if there is anything I can do let me know...If you would like me to make something I would be more than willing...
    Becky Mom to X and C

girlsmum

The first 2 weeks we were home from the hosp with our girls our church at the time supplied us with meals for the first 2 weeks and we got many many lasagnas,LOL. One dinner alteration was a nice roast dinner, each individual condiment packaged separately and we just had to heat it up. Perhaps the same with either a little turkey dinner or a ham dinner?? The only things I can come up with not mentioned.

Zoo
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Enchiladas? Make a tomato sauce with canned tomatoes, peppers, onions, and garlic, then puree in the blender. One by one, dip tortillas in sauce so that it covers both sides, lay flat and fill with shredded chicken and your favourite cheese (plus refried beans or something else that you enjoy if you like). Top with remaining sauce and grated queso sera (this stuff is DELICIOUS but if you can't find it use dry feta -- NOT the pickled kind, it must be dry. It will taste salty but not at all vinegary!). You can just pop it in the freezer and then she can bake it from frozen (probably an hour and a half, just watch until sauce is bubbling and cheese is golden). This is *unforgettable* I promise you. My family goes nuts for it, I just hardly ever make it because it's so much work.

Expert Forum User

Great ideas, ladies! Zoo, those enchildas sound awesome! They are on my list for sure.
    And Becky - good idea to include some "snacky" type things like muffins and cookies - I'm sure the kiddies (and her hubby!) will appreciate some treats!

Zoo

Make two batches of enchiladas and keep one - it's really no more work than one batch, it's getting the blender out that makes me roll my eyes and move on to the next idea...

Expert Forum User

Enchiladas = huge hit with both families. Yum, yum!

Zoo

You did them already??? Awesome! Which cheese did you use? Mmm...getting hungry...

Expert Forum User

Oh yeah - I'm a woman on a mission. I sent a cooler in to work with my DH the other day with a few meals. The enchiladas were apparently the first to go - and we had them the same night (Monday...so, yesterday!) The queso sera was my cheese of choice...how have I NOT discovered this stuff before? It's delicious!