Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What time do you put your kids down

Over hear it`s between 8-9pm

I was just wondering because I`ve been told that I put them down way too late.
    Melanie

My sweet baby girls
    Hailey-January 4 2005
    Hannah-Febuary-22 2006

"The strength of motherhood is greater then natural laws."-Barbara Kingsolver

My kids go down at 7pm...end up talking to themselves(which is fine) and finally conk out between 7.30 and 7.45, usually. DD ends up falling asleep first and sometimes sooner than that because she's dropped her naps completely while DS still has 2 hour naps in the afternoon. From my POV, I've always foudn it's easier to put the kids to bed earlier than later...if it's too late, they're overtired and literally fight sleep. I learned it the hard way...and now we put them to bed at 7 and it's great! yeah, they're up early...6.30/7am, but so is dh and so am I...no biggie!
    Mom to 4 kiddies
    DD(9 yrs) & DS#1(6 yrs) & DS#2(4 yrs)
    & DD#2(1 yr)

Expert Forum User

My oldest is 3 and he goes to bed at 7:30 if he doesn't nap and 8:30 if he does nap (I don't let him sleep longer than an hour during the day.) My youngest is 11 months and he's in bed by 7:30.

I don't think anyone can tell you what time to put your kids to bed. If they are going to bed and falling asleep relatively easy and they seem well rested in the morning than that time is working for them. Every child is different.
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

aveymom

she is 2 and has been going to bed between 9 and 9:30 for almost a yr, sometimes as late as 10 but never earlier than n9.
    She is usually up between 9:30 and 10.
    It works for us.

Banned

Bedtime starts around 7 and by 7:30 they are all in bed; stories, etc, all done. They usually get up between 7 and 8 am, and the oldest has been known to stay in bed until 9!

Expert Forum User

My DD is 5 years old and its a 7 p.m. bedtime. We have a good routine that works well for all of us in this house, plus I'm a firm believer in needing ME and US time.

Ali goes for her bath at 7:30, then has three books and down to bed, so she's generally in bed just before 8:00pm. She's usually awake between 7:30 and 8:00am. She sleeps for about an hour and a half during the day too.

We're not totally rigid with this schedule. If we've had a crazy evening and she ends up going to bed at 9:00pm then 'oh well'. Or if we're going to be out until 10:00pm then that's fine too.
    Mom to Ali (3) & Eva (1)

dd - always has been late (she's still up now as I type this)
    ds - he's pretty 'early' imo usually around 7-7:30 but sometimes earlier

Expert Forum User

Bedtime routine starts at 7 (if there's a bath) and 7:20 or so if not. By the time we are in bed to read, it's 7:45 and we usually read till 8ish. She's sometimes out right away, and sometimes it's more like 8:15 or 8:20 before she's asleep. She's up around 7 in the morning or slightly earlier. If I'm lucky, she may sleep till 7:15 or 7:30 on the weekend. She was actually in bed earlier when she was younger (between 7 and 7:30)
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

Expert Forum User

I agree that if they are going to sleep well and not cranky in the morning, then no worries. My 3 y/o gets lights out at 8, and my 8 y/o gets lights out at 9:15...kind of a weird time, but he goes to bed at 8:30, reads for half an hour, then pees, brushes teeth, then we turn his light out (goal is for him to turn his own light out but so far that's not working).
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

We start bedtime routine around 7:20-7:30, and he is usually put down around 8.
    Depending on what time he has had his last nap. He is only 6 months old, and still likes to nap every 2 hours during the day. I try to hold off the last nap, which usually ends up being around 5. If it is 4, then I usually let him have it.

Sometimes, I start bedtime at 7:45, and then he is in bed around 8:15-8:30. Depends on when the last nap was (or wasn't)

Majority of the time he is cranky and ready to start bedtime at 7:30.
    He sleeps thru the night, and gets up around 8 - 8:45 am. (I know, I am lucky)
    Rochelle
    aka Justin's Mom

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

My kids were always put down late. As infants they would go to bed between 9-10pm, and that time was upped to about 8/8:30p for Paige as she NEEDED more sleep per night, and stayed the same for Doug cause he always woke up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.

Do what works for you, your kids, your household.

Expert Forum User

Cooper goes to bed at 7:30 and wakes up at about 7 and Violet usually goes down between 7:30-8 and wakes up at about 8:30.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Mommyoftwo View Post
    Over hear it`s between 8-9pm

I was just wondering because I`ve been told that I put them down way too late.
    Same bedtime here, and my LO's are the same age as yours! I agree with pp's.... follow a schedule that works for your family.

We have a 7pm (7-7:30) bedtime as well, even if my daughter naps. If it's bath night we start early! It always goes later if my husband is home and he's putting them to bed...he reads them at least 20 stories! I try to keep it under 10! Like someone else mentioned, I need my ME time in the evenings...especially with my hubby out of town so much.

ETA: and Jonah gets up at 6 regardless what time he goes to bed.
    Last edited by julia; 12-14-2007 at 09:38 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast