Expert Forum User

Default Helping your child with reading in French (when you don't read French).

I know FI programs are geared towards children with non-french speaking parents. I am finding it a little bit frustrating though because I want to help my dd learn to read in french, but I can't really correct her when she's reading, as I don't know the correct pronunciation of the words. DD is in grade one and her teacher has suggested that the children practice reading in french so I asked dd yesterday to try bringing a french reading book home next time. She brought one home tonight, but I had no idea if she was reading the words correctly. Any tips on how I can help her?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

no tips but your not alone. Mine is in sk and all his library books are in french. We were told to discuss them with him and praise his attempts. I'm sure it is likely more advanced in grade one though.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

My kid is 4 and I just muddle through it! I read to her in french all the time - I'm sure any french person would cringe.

She gets enough at school that she will correct me over time.

I also have some french tapes that are helping with hearing how things are pronounced.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

thankfully when mine were taking french in school.. one did really well. helped the other.. saved my butt.. and when they entered HS my neighbour helped them.. i would have been screwed otherwise..

Expert Forum User

within walking distance of downtown but a good part

when i was in grade 8 FI i was asked by my moms coworker to come over once a wee ( got paid like $10) to tutor her daughter who was in SK just read and correct her with any issues she might be having... Also did this for my moms friends kids who where in English school but having problems in French maybe ask the teacher to recommend a grade 8 student to hire to help

I sell AVON I sell SCENTSY JOIN THE PARTY!

Expert Forum User

u guys have homework? we only have english reading books liek the list from last year....grrrr
    Mom to DS - 9.5 years old
    AND

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobsmom View Post
    u guys have homework? we only have english reading books liek the list from last year....grrrr
    No, Reese's teacher doesn't like to give homework. They just get books to read each night, and they can choose English books too. Reese only brought home English books too. I asked if you could pick some French ones instead. We don't have any French books and we have a lot of English books so I thought it would be good practice. J probably just picks English. You could ask him to pick some French books. I'm sure his teacher has them too!

You could try some french books on CD/cassette from the public library. She can read them first, then read them again with the CD/tape and correct her pronounciation.

Expert Forum User

I flub a few words as well. Gotta love my Franglais.
    I have 4 boys ages 7, 5, and 3 and newborn

Expert Forum User

I'm so glad I'm not alone! DD brings home books but they have a small library and they are all french so no choice to bring them home in English (which is good I guess, because it embraces the French and we have a ton of English books at home as someone said). I have been reading them though to her, and I can do 'ok' sometimes if they are words that are obvious, but I'm sure I'm not reading very well either!

I love the idea of the French books on tape! I'm going to check that out at our library. I should get her to try to read the French books as she can read in English but I“m sure it's intimidating!
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

Here are some computer sites with stories that are read to the kids:

Matin mouvementé pour Fiponhttp://www2.umoncton.ca/cfdocs/casmi/Livre/Flash_MatinMouvementpourFipon2/MatinMouvementePourFipon.html
    Matin Mouvementé Pour Fipon

Zébulus, le petit zèbre triste
    Zebulus

Saute, saute, c'est la fête !
    SauteSauteCestLaFete

Étoile dans la pomme :
    Étoile Dans La Pomme

Un jeu pour Jérémie
    < font style=“font-family: Verdana; font-size: 8pt;“ face=“Verdana“ size=“+0“>UnJeuPourJeremie

Contes de Wismo
    Wismo - contes - dessins animés - jeux

Hope that helps!
    HappyandBlessed
    Maman to five
    DS born still Dec '97
    DS Dec '98
    DS Dec '03
    DS Sept '06
    DD May '10

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

That's awesome H&B. Big reps to you!

Thanks!
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Expert Forum User

Yes, you can use the books H&B posted to learn right along with her! I think that is the great thing about them starting something new - you can learn it, too! Like I am learning how to play piano by helping my 6 y/o with his practice. Now my 11 y/o and guitar, that is another story...I just can't keep up with him, he learns too quickly! LOL
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.