Thread: What is PCOS?

Default What is PCOS?

I always read on LMs that someone has PCOS
    What is this?
    Former Username JOTR

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome.

Often via ultrasound you can see a 'string of pearls' (relating to unreleased eggs?) on the ovary. Basically often menstruation is sporadic due to irregular or non-ovulation. You can also have extra body hair, due to extra androgens (male hormones).

For many people, tho not all, the underlying cause is insulin resistance, a pre-diabetic condition. The insulin imbalance (different from a blood sugar imbalance) causes wacky hormonal issues.

A big problem wiht PCOS is infertility, resulting from lack of ovulation. Also there is an increased risk of miscarriage in the first trimester.

That's the best I can do at this hour LOL.

myrrah with regard to PCOS, just out of curiosity can it be reversed if it is treated? and how is it treated anyhow?

Expert Forum User

I have PCOS. It's not something that can be reversed, but it's easily treatable. There's a few different ways that it can be treated. Some doctors recomment going on the pill (specific ones with the correct hormones) however that's a little old-school for treatment.

I take 850mg of metformin daily for it - that's my medical treatment. I also have to exercise daily and watch what I eat. I stick to a low-glycemic diet which really isn't too hard to do. Other than that, it's fairly easy to treat (for me at least).

Also - to prevent miscarriage I had to take the metformin for the first 3 months of pregnancy.

To have PCOS diagnosed properly, there are very specifid dates within your menstrual cycle that you have to be tested (not just any old day) to get accurate hormone level readings. You can also get an ultrasound done to look for the “ring of pearls“ around the ovaries. I didn't have this done as all I needed was the bloodwork.
    Last edited by Sunrise; 10-12-2010 at 08:10 AM.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

I have PCOS and never ever heard of this “ring of pearls“ phrase... i was diagnosed through blood work and PCOS is a weight issue... if you lose the weight often the symptoms go away... problem is the condition itself causes weight issues and difficulty losing weight... its extremely manageable however and some women who have it never have issues with pregnancy etc...

PCOS is only a weight issue for some. Most, really. But not all.

The issue is that insulin resistance creates carb cravings which leads to weight gain and it also causes the hormonal imbalance, IMO. Eating healthy foods and reducing carb/caloric intake leads to reversal of symptoms AND weight loss. It's not that weight loss leads to reversal of symptoms. Maybe it doesn't matter but it's a pet peeve of mine LOL.

I took Metformin to control mine at first, this is what enabled me to conceive M actually. I was annovulatory, menstruating only every 3 mos or so (which was probably breakthrough bleeding, not indicative of ovulation). I had a period end of November '02, started Met in January '03, and was pg by end of January. Bingo.

Since M was born my symptoms have been drastically improved. I ovulate regularly ever since then. I also now control it with diet, and was able to conceive Z naturally without Met or other medication. I'm not actually sure if this is a direct result of dietary change, or if having M somehow 'corrected' my hormonal issues. However I can say that since I began eating well when M was 2, my insulin levels have gone from wonky to normal.

The test that determines insulin resistance is the fasting insulin/glucose ratio test. Many ppl mistake this for a simple fasting glucose test, a la drinking the weird orange drink. This only tests your blood sugar levels, and therefore only tests for diabetes. The fasting insulin/glucose ratio test is the important one for testing for insulin resistance.

Expert Forum User

My partner has this and she definitely doesn't have a weight issue....she is a skinny minnie. I think it affects people in different ways. She definitely loves her carbs though (which doesn't help me with my weight)

I have never heard about the pre-diabetic condition/insulin resistance....her Nan had diabetes.....I will have to mention it to her.

She takes different meds than mentioned above.

I was diagnosed in march (i think), but I hadnt had a period since october. To treat it my docotr didnt seem to think anything was needed, except to force a period every 3 months.

I was able to concieve while on clomid.
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

Hmm. I wonder if I have this? I have super irregular periods and always have. I am overweight. I have had cysts for as long as I can remember (at least since age 13).

Huh. Would this be something they'd likely have noticed by now?
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc