Thread: Teenagers

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Teenagers

So, my step daughter went out for a walk with her best friend, who happens to be a guy, no prob. I'm in the bath when she comes home, I come down about 12:15 and sitting here thinking I have to get to bed, the kids'll be up early and realize hey she's still awake downstairs, ask how the walk was, yada yada. Then realize she's not alone, her best friend is downstairs too, they're watching a movie. I say well he'll have to head out soon, she says they're just watching the end of the movie. Well its after 12:30 and I'm tired, would you just head to bed and assume all is well or wait up until he leaves?

No reason not to trust her, just not sure what I should be doing here and I wanna go to bed!
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

I'd go to bed.
    If you have no reason to distrust her, I'd trust her.
    I might mention something about how I'd like if they went home right after the movie, because of the time or something.

eta: I'm presuming we're talking like, more than thirteenish? Maybe 15+?
    Last edited by Ingalls; 10-11-2010 at 12:20 AM.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

If they were downstairs in a public style area and you trust her anyhow I'd let it be and head to bed. They know anyone can walk down/in at any moment so even if thoughts were of taking things another direction it would be difficult.
    A by the book mama to a completley healthy DD Dec.2002 and doing it all different, BWng, CDing, BLWing, crunchy mama to an equally healthy DS Nov.2008 apparently a cosleeping mama DS Aug. 2011

I would let it go this time, but make a rule, like friends go home at midnight or something so you arent in this position again

Well he headed out right after the movie, but that was 1 and now I'm tired! I think we will have to work out a rule. I really don't mind her being up or anything but I'm not too comfortable with a kid being here that late. Also, he has to walk home which isn't too far from here, but still.

Oh and she'll be 16 in January and I think he's a year older.
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

Expert Forum User

I think that regardless of gender, guests in the house when others are asleep is a little inconsiderate/inappropriate, unless it's worked out ahead of time.... can you address it from that angle. You wouldn't want to be wandering through the house in your nightwear to find an extra person there...

At the same time, they were in a a safe place, vs. hanging out somewhere unsafe....

Expert Forum User

I can remember at 16/17 my friends and I were often up really late, especially if there wasn't school the next day. I had to be in the house at 11pm, but would sometimes sneak back out to hang out with friends, or if I slept at their house they had no time they had to be in the house.
    Or we were talking on the phone till really late.
    I can remember having friends over after my parents went to sleep (only girls allowed though) and they didn't mind as long as we didn't wake them up.

As pp said I would maybe say that friends have to leave by midnight on weekends and whenever on weeknights so she knows the rule is coming.

Expert Forum User

my stepson is 16 and he has to be in by 11 and people have to be gone by 11. I dont really like the idea of someone being in my house while i am asleep. I like to know he is home and my house is secure and safe before i go to bed. I do trust my stepson. If he has something going on, he may stay out later or sleep over, but the rule stays the same here with people coming over. We are all up early in the morning, and are asleep by then. It works here anyways.

It is a little inconsiderate to have guests when others are asleep. There should definately be a curfew for how long guests are allowed to visit, regardless of gender. Not questioning trust at all, just need to be considerate of others.

Expert Forum User

Id let it go and perhaps have a rule for both girl and guy friends. So glad i dont have teenagers yet lol
    April - Mommy to Ivy, Sophia & Ryker